Old 04-18-2016, 11:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Albuquerque , New Mexico
Questions about 1969 Wing Windows (and Other Window Questions)

My wife and I just purchased our first Airstream, a 1969 Safari. While we knew we were getting into a "project" we didn't realize it would start on the day we drove it home!

On the drive home, within about 10 minutes of each other, both wing windows seemed to spontaneously shatter. During the first there were other cars on the road and theoretically one of them could have kicked up a rock, but during the second (curb side), we were by ourselves in the right-hand lane. I can't imagine my truck caused the problem since it sits low, has mud flaps, and those windows sit so close and high compared to the back of the truck. Any thoughts on how this could have happened? Is it possible to just be age? Maybe there were just brittle and fell apart?

In any case, we're working out the plan to get them rebuilt/replaced. I saw a thread in which someone custom-cut Lexan plastic instead of glass and rebuilt them. I'm leaning toward going this route for two reasons: 1) $$$ and 2) I just don't know what caused them to break and I would hate to have it happen again.

When rebuilding windows, I know the frames have to be disassembled, cleaned, etc. However, when reinstalling the panels, is there anything other than u-gasket required? Are you supposed to put any kind of sealant in the track as well? What about the u-gasket joint? Anything required to seal the ends and prevent it from becoming a leak point?

When I reinstall the windows against the trailer, do I simply apply a bead of Vulkum and then rivet the window back in place?

Since this is my first go at working on an Airstream, I'm open to all suggestions and opinions! If you think any part of this plan is nuts, let me know :-) I know some people lean away from Lexan instead of glass, but based on my reading, particularly notes from Andy at Inland RV, it seems like a great option assuming you get the abrasion resistant type. The cost is cheaper, it's lighter, and the durability can't be beat.

-Matt

Old 04-19-2016, 01:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Matt

You may want to check this out. It is a link to replacement windows at VTS
Vintage Trailer Supply a good outfit. The windows are not cheap. but...

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...p/vts-1023.htm

Good Luck

Tony

Old 04-21-2016, 10:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt0k0 View Post
My wife and I just purchased our first Airstream, a 1969 Safari. While we knew we were getting into a "project" we didn't realize it would start on the day we drove it home!

On the drive home, within about 10 minutes of each other, both wing windows seemed to spontaneously shatter. During the first there were other cars on the road and theoretically one of them could have kicked up a rock, but during the second (curb side), we were by ourselves in the right-hand lane. I can't imagine my truck caused the problem since it sits low, has mud flaps, and those windows sit so close and high compared to the back of the truck. Any thoughts on how this could have happened? Is it possible to just be age? Maybe there were just brittle and fell apart?

In any case, we're working out the plan to get them rebuilt/replaced. I saw a thread in which someone custom-cut Lexan plastic instead of glass and rebuilt them. I'm leaning toward going this route for two reasons: 1) $$$ and 2) I just don't know what caused them to break and I would hate to have it happen again.

When rebuilding windows, I know the frames have to be disassembled, cleaned, etc. However, when reinstalling the panels, is there anything other than u-gasket required? Are you supposed to put any kind of sealant in the track as well? What about the u-gasket joint? Anything required to seal the ends and prevent it from becoming a leak point?

When I reinstall the windows against the trailer, do I simply apply a bead of Vulkum and then rivet the window back in place?

Since this is my first go at working on an Airstream, I'm open to all suggestions and opinions! If you think any part of this plan is nuts, let me know :-) I know some people lean away from Lexan instead of glass, but based on my reading, particularly notes from Andy at Inland RV, it seems like a great option assuming you get the abrasion resistant type. The cost is cheaper, it's lighter, and the durability can't be beat.

-Matt
Matt
69 wing windows are very expensive.

You can use 1970 windows that are a fraction of that cost.

The lower outside corner of the 69 wing windows, is square.

The 1970 wing window outside lower corner is round.

All that's needed is an adapter plate for that corner, that is provided free.

Andy
Old 04-27-2016, 03:45 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Here's a good thread. It's on a '71 but generally will apply to you. Several links referred to as well. I've done both of mine and used glass, but I don't see why you couldn't use Lexan. I used butyl tape as the sealant against the trailer frame.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...ind-67331.html