Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2015, 04:20 PM   #1
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
putting the window screen rubber back in place

Does anyone have suggestions on how I get the rubber back on the screen where it belongs. this is the window near the dinette on a FC. In order to properly get to the entire rubber gasket, I would need to remove the Ocean Shade, and then remove the wooden shelves above that. Is this advisable? from the outside you can see the corner not attached, but you're on the wrong side of the screen to do anything about it. Then going inside, I can't get to it because it's behind the Ocean Shade and the overhead shelf.

Any advice on removing the Ocean Shade or overhead shelf would be appreciated. Or if you have some great technique that avoids having to do that, even better!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dinette window v2.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	235145  
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Prime-Line Products P 7505 Screen Rolling Tool with Wood Handle and Steel Wheels - Window Dressing Hardware - Amazon.com

This is the tool used. You can get one at any hardware store.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Here ya go.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:53 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Just a caveat... the screens are curved, if you do them flat then re-install them the screen will wrinkle. Best bet is to put it back in while in place. No clue on how to deal with your other stuff.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Screen issue

I think I would call JC before doing anything that might void any warranty. Your trailer appears to be new enough to get support from the factory without much trouble. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:27 PM   #6
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
solved with window screen rubber problem I had

For those who posted the suggestion of using a screen tool for a totally inaccessible area, your suggestion was useless but I think you knew that when you posted.

I did not relish the idea of removing the overhead locker or the ocean shade just to get at the screen. I did find a solution though. I pulled out the grey tubing that holds in the screen around half of the window. That allowed me enough access so I could work the top area in with my fingers, and complete putting the grey tubing back in place around the rest of the window.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
For those who posted the suggestion of using a screen tool for a totally inaccessible area, your suggestion was useless but I think you knew that when you posted. w.
I am going to go out on a limb and assume that you did not mean to make such a rude and insulting post. You ask a question and it was answered. Most jobs are easier when the proper tool is used.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Problem here is, it appears that the spline was installed in a stretched state (improper technique) as evidenced by it's tight line from side to side where it enters the frame again. If you had to stretch it to get it back in the groove, it will eventually come back out. This also happens as spline ages (years). It shrinks over time. I always roll in a few inches at a time, rolling TOWARD the previously rolled section. This puts the spline material in compression rather than tension. You can over compress too...takes some practice and experience.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
I have used a credit card with good success for the hard to reach areas...

it is hard to tell from your pic, but in mine the Ocean Air blind is held in by 2 screws, one at each end, can you access those? Maybe if you can unscrew the side causing you problems you can get in there better?
Old 05-02-2015, 07:29 AM   #10
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I am going to go out on a limb and assume that you did not mean to make such a rude and insulting post. You ask a question and it was answered. Most jobs are easier when the proper tool is used.
Nope. I meant it.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:38 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
Nope. I meant it.
Can you say "ignore"
Old 05-02-2015, 07:53 AM   #12
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
stretch too far

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Problem here is, it appears that the spline was installed in a stretched state (improper technique) as evidenced by it's tight line from side to side where it enters the frame again. If you had to stretch it to get it back in the groove, it will eventually come back out. This also happens as spline ages (years). It shrinks over time. I always roll in a few inches at a time, rolling TOWARD the previously rolled section. This puts the spline material in compression rather than tension. You can over compress too...takes some practice and experience.
Interesting you say this...when I got to the bottom I was 6 inches short on the rubber, so I went to the hardware and bought 25 feet of the stuff (smallest package available). I attributed the shortage to the fact that I wasn't using one of those nifty tools. But it may have been stretched too far in the first place. Thanks for the advice on rolling it in...I hope to not become experienced in this going forward!