Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2007, 05:31 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Lake Placid , Florida
Plexiglass window screens, An option?

Hello,

When I picked up my 1964 Overlander in MI. last month, I noticed that all the window screens were missing and that in their place were framed plexiglass panels. Was this an option in 1964? Or do you think the PO just had these things made. They are very well made, but in South Florida I have no use for them.
Lastly, ALL of the plastic drawers are missing in my AS. Does anyone have some for sale? Thanks. Jim
judas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Storm windows were a factory option ...

Hi Judas:

Airstream's 1964 full line catalog states in Standard Specifications:

"Corrosion-proof removable screens in all windows (Slip-in storm windows available for winter travel)."

so the solid windows in your '64 Overlander might be factory original optional storm windows. I've never seen any so can't offer identifying construction details, but you might have a nice find there. Or a prior owner's handiwork.

In any event, if you have no need for them please offer them for sale in the Classisifed Ads. Someone up north would problably find them quite useful. To quickly get screens, take your storm windows to a hardware store and have a set of screens made from the templates provided by the storm windows, as it sounds like you have all the patterns.

I can't help you with the plastic drawer bins, but again advertise for them in the Classisifed Ads on this and other web sites. Some do show up on eBay from time to time, but it might take a few years to piece together a full set. In the meantime you might want to buy some bins that are close in size at a local interior storage or closet store. Good luck!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Jim,

If you'll watch Ebay the drawers show up there all the time - just make sure they are the correct size.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by judas
Hello,

When I picked up my 1964 Overlander in MI. last month, I noticed that all the window screens were missing and that in their place were framed plexiglass panels. Was this an option in 1964? Or do you think the PO just had these things made. They are very well made, but in South Florida I have no use for them.
Lastly, ALL of the plastic drawers are missing in my AS. Does anyone have some for sale? Thanks. Jim
You may have a real find there. Could you post a few photos?
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote