Old 04-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
San Francisco , California
plastic trim that hugs the edge of the shade opening?

Greetings!

I've got a 74 Overlander which I'm trying to replace the plastic material that frames the sheet metal where the opening is for the two windows which have a sliding shade covers on the inside. These windows are in the front, one on each side, at the top of the wall above the lager windows that open. (that make sense?)

Anyone have a source for this type of material? Ideally I'd like to replace with a black colored material instead of the cream/banana stock color. I'm thinking some sort of tubing, or ???

Anyone have suggestions?
Thanks!

Greg

Old 04-19-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
If it is the material which is held in by sliding or cupping it into a aluminum frame, with little edges, you can use vertical venetian blind material, cut down to the correct width for your metal (often about 1 1/8"). Go to a good window covering place and look at what they have available. They should be able to get it for you in whatever you pick out. There should be many possibilities of slats, even fabric covered ones.

The other possibility is to cut thin strips of plastic laminate and slide them into the channel. Again, colors and patterns are wide ranging. Laminate is harder to cup to install than the vertical venetian blind material, and is much harder to cut the right width strips.

The original color was almost white, but age yellows the plastic to what I call an "old banana yellow" which I find is most unpleasant.

If you have that same old banana yellow on your refrigerator vent, your interior end caps and AC cover, as well as the originally white tambour doors, you can paint them so you would think they are new with Krylon Paint for Plastics in spray cans. Mask well and do it on a nice warm day with all the windows and vents open, and use a big box fan in the door to move the fumes out.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creech View Post
Greetings!

I've got a 74 Overlander which I'm trying to replace the plastic material that frames the sheet metal where the opening is for the two windows which have a sliding shade covers on the inside. These windows are in the front, one on each side, at the top of the wall above the lager windows that open. (that make sense?)

Anyone have a source for this type of material? Ideally I'd like to replace with a black colored material instead of the cream/banana stock color. I'm thinking some sort of tubing, or ???

Anyone have suggestions?
Thanks!

Greg
I can't recall the exact name of what you are looking for, however it was used in cars up through the 70's (and beyond) to cover where the body panels were joined on the interior. I have used colored hose on some of mine in the past.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creech View Post
Greetings!

Anyone have suggestions?
Thanks!

Greg
Greg.

That material is called "nosing".

The original was simply plastic, that didn't last very long.

Several years ago, Airstream changed it to a "U" shaped vinyl, that covers a steel framing, that bends easily.

It works great in place of the old plastic.

Andy