Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2009, 04:08 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Chapin , South Carolina
New member 1965 overlander window question

Hello Everyone,
Just wanted to introduce ourselves. My husband and I just bought A 26' 1965 Overlander International last week from Ohio. We live just south of Atlanta, GA with our two sons (12 and 14) and four large dogs (3 deaf and one hearing). This past spring we purchased a 1968 Serro Scotty 15' and renovated it back to original condition with a few technical updates. It was a tiny and fabulous trailer and was used a lot this summer but we are too large of a family to fit! So... we decided we really wanted an airstream. My husband and I are pretty capable of fixing/building most things and love projects so we looked for a "project" airstream.
We definitely found it! It had been sitting in a field for 20 years and bought to restore by the person we bought it from. He had it for a year and let it sit rotting a little longer. It is a mess inside, rotting wood, mice skeletons, bugs, etc. Yes, really gross. But, the frame is solid, the skin is good , and most of the inside is original to use as templates. After washing off the greenery growing on the roof, it looks ten times better already. We are debating how far to strip it down and rebuild. Yesterday we took out all the insides (except the bathroom) down to the bare floor. We will need to replace some of the floor but it is in surprisingly good condition considering how long it was open to the elements.
First order of business, we are fixing windows. I think we have most info needed except where to get replacement window frames. The part on the trailer is there, I just need the frame part that opens up. Can I buy that part anywhere or do I have to look for salvaged parts?
Thank you in advance for the advice. I am sure we will have tons more questions as time goes on.
Jennifer and Russell
JSTOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:04 AM   #2
Ronald D

1965 26' Overlander
Welshpool , New Brunswick
Jenn and Russ,

I needed window frames also and couldn't find any '65 pieces. I bought some larger window frames from N.D. Stephens here on the forums, cut them down to the size I needed and had them welded together. Nate may have some more, his parts came from a '68, the windows have the same frame but are a different size. Do not use Lexan for replacement windows use tempered glass. The Lexan is virtually unbreakable but too flexible and will blow out. (another lesson from Inland Andy)

Ron
Ronald D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTOTT View Post
Hello Everyone,
I just need the frame part that opens up. Can I buy that part anywhere or do I have to look for salvaged parts?
Thank you in advance for the advice. I am sure we will have tons more questions as time goes on.
Jennifer and Russell
Hi Jennifer and Russell, Welcome to the forums! I'm not sure what part you are talking about. Any chance of a photo? I found this link handy for your windows Restoration Topics - Window Repairs and here is a link to salvage yards RV Salvage Yards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald D View Post
Jenn and Russ,

I needed window frames also and couldn't find any '65 pieces. I bought some larger window frames from N.D. Stephens here on the forums, cut them down to the size I needed and had them welded together. Nate may have some more, his parts came from a '68, the windows have the same frame but are a different size. Do not use Lexan for replacement windows use tempered glass. The Lexan is virtually unbreakable but too flexible and will blow out. (another lesson from Inland Andy)

Ron
Hi Ron, I'm a little confused by this. 60-65 Airstreams had Hehr windows and 66-68 Airstreams had frameless Corning windows.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Chapin , South Carolina
Hi Lee,
I am missing the window frame (the part the glass sits in and opens up) in 3 windows. The previous owner did save the ones from 2 of the other windows and I should be able to repair those without a problem. I have poured over that restoration topics window link but it didn't say anything about being able to get replacement frames. The mounting frame is there in good condition. I'll check the RV salvage, thanks. I am ordering all the other supplies (butyl tape, glazing bead, bulb thingy) to fix them.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Chapin , South Carolina
Thanks Ron, I'll look into it. From my research, the windows are different in the 68 but maybe the frame is the same?
Jennifer
Old 12-07-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
Ronald D

1965 26' Overlander
Welshpool , New Brunswick
Sorry about that, I bought several things from Nate Stephens and confused the years of different things. The windows were from a '64. He may still have some window parts. When I was looking the window frames were very hard to find. He can be found in the classified here as N.D. Stephens.

Ron
Ronald D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags