Old 02-08-2007, 02:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Nashville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to harestream
Thumbs up Needing screw size for '68 Tradewind Window Glass Bar

Hello. We just had some new windows arrive for the '68 tradewind project we are working on. We had some screws left over that were still good, but we have a few left to install but we can't seem to figure out the proper screw size that works. We had bought one size, and it didn't work. So does anybody know the actual specification to complete this project?

We need the screw size for the window bar. It's the little bar that comes in two parts and the screws keep the bar tight with the glass in between. I can take a photo if you all don't know what I'm reffering to.

Thanks!!!

-Kelly

Old 02-08-2007, 02:22 PM   #2
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Maybe that picture would help. I have a '73 Overlander and many things a similar.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Bar clamp screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by harestream
Hello. We just had some new windows arrive for the '68 tradewind project we are working on. We had some screws left over that were still good, but we have a few left to install but we can't seem to figure out the proper screw size that works. We had bought one size, and it didn't work. So does anybody know the actual specification to complete this project?
We need the screw size for the window bar. It's the little bar that comes in two parts and the screws keep the bar tight with the glass in between. I can take a photo if you all don't know what I'm reffering to.

Thanks!!!

-Kelly
Kelly, I took one of the original screws to the local Fastenal dealer here in the Quad Cities and they got me the exact same ones in stainless steel so I don't have to worry about them rusting any more! Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:36 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Nashville , Tennessee
Any idea what the size is?

We're you not able to get the size? Is that why you had them custom made? Any idea what the size of the screw is? I suppose I should call fastenal and do the same? I was hoping to just go to the local home depot and pick up a bag. Thanks.

-kelly
Old 02-09-2007, 01:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
screw size

Kelly, I will check on the paperwork from fastenal in the A.M. and post it here. I went to fastenal so I could get them in stainless steel as HD, Lowes, nor Menards had them in stainless steel. Fastenal had them in stock in their warehouse so they got them to me in less than a week. Ed
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 02-09-2007, 02:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Hi,

Welcome to the world of '67-66-68 windows. BigEd is right, the stainless steel ones are hard to find at Home Depot and Fastenal has everything, and is very helpful. You can go to the Fastenal website Home | Fastenal and find a store near you and bring in your old screw and they'll find the same ones. Probably won't be the last time you'll need to go there! Good luck, post pictures! We love pictures!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:17 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Nashville , Tennessee
Thanks BigEd52

I really appreciate looking up that info for me. I wish we could take a screw to a local fastenal, but our closest location is pretty far away, so we'll have to order them online. We've already used all the screws in some of the windows that we were able to complete, so we don have any extras. I suppose if I absoloutely had to I could take one out, but I was leaving that for the last resort. I'll tell you what though, these windows are deadly! I already knocked my head off the one next to the front door as I was stepping down. Like seriously though, knocked my noggin big time! No wonder why they didn't keep with that design!

-Kelly
Old 02-10-2007, 12:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Ha! I know all about window troubles! But if you were able to do one window, you can do them all, even though you conked your noodle on one of them. Ed will come through for you, he's been a real help for me, I'm in California and have never met the guy and if it weren't for him I would have given up on the dang window thing by now. If you want a good laugh, look up my "cursed front window" thread. But wait until you're done with yours just in case bad window karma rubs off from me to you.

P.S. I visited your website in the hopes of seeing pictures. How do you know Lois The Pie Queen, a local secret of ours? Have you visited the place or did you see the sign on MLK drive in Oakland?

Good luck!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:39 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
window bar clamp screws...

Kelly, I wasn't able to get the snow cleared from around the "Landshark" until after dark on friday so I'll get into her during daylight today for the Fastenal part number for you. Just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten you. Ed
Old 02-10-2007, 01:03 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Nashville , Tennessee
Thanks ED!

That's very kind of you. THANKS.
I know that snow blew through that area, just bulldozing all of it.

Thanks again!

-Kelly
Old 02-10-2007, 03:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Bar clamp screws

Kelly, Here is what you need to get the correct screws for your window bar glass clamp.
The part number for the screws from Fastenal is: 32643
The part description is PPHTCS 10-24 x 1/2"
I ordered 30 of these and got them for $4.07 plus tax the total came to $4.36 locally.
Also I have a source for some '67/'68 window parts. If you still need any PM me and I will share the info with you. Ed