Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2009, 11:44 PM   #1

Vintage Kin Owner
Corpus Christi , Texas
Need windows

Hello all I just purchased a 1969 Empress Streamline, while parked overnight at a hotel some D@## kids broke out all the windows. Where can I get replacement windows? and how much am I looking at to replace them? I am in San Antonio, TX at the moment and will be on my way to Corpus Christi this weekend.
jbstrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:43 AM   #2
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
you should be able to just replace the glass. Some supplies might be needed such as glassing butyl and seals. Could you add a photo of the window to see the style?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi, I found this at Houston Chapter Streamline Royal Rovers. Hope it helps.

Streamline Travel Homes

Window Information

The various window items which can be obtained are:

Windshield glass.
Windshield glass is available from the Newell Corporation. See their website at: http://www.newellcoach.com/Directory/Directory.shtml
Prices for the windshield apparently is somewhere between $380 and $500 per piece. The piece of glass will fit either side, as they are mirror images.
Side window glass.
The side windows are 5/32" in thickness. Common thickness today is 1/4", and you will have to spend a little time to find this 5/32" size. It is available however, as either laminated (which the original was), or as tempered glass. In Houston, Texas, it was found that there was only one distributor in the city that handled the 5/32" laminated glass, and that not all stores in a chain such as Binswanger went through this distributor so as to obtain the glass. You will probably have to spend some time searching, but the glass can be obtained.This glass can be cut to the size you need for your window. If replacing more than one window, be sure to measure each window, as the will vary somewhat from each other.

Windshield rubber gaskets.
The rubber which will fit the windshields can be seen on the CR Laurence Co website, Catalogue number AV4688 as detailed below:CRL Early Model Chrysler Weatherstrips for 3/16" to 1/4" Back Glass

OEM Quality
Early Chrysler Models

CRL Weatherstrip for Older Model Ford and Mercury fits 3/16 to 1/4 inch (4.8 to 6.4
millimeter) rear window glass. CRL Weatherstrips are manufactured to OEM
specifications. These rubber weatherstrips are easy to replace, and offer a watertight
seal using one of the following CRL Automotive Sealants: CRL7708 Flow Grade Non-Curing Butyl or CRL7711 Flow Grade Butyl that cures to a butyl tape consistency.Use CRL958 CRL Quick Release Agent or 3M8971 3M Release Agent to soften the adhesive for quick removal of old sealants and weatherstrips. Clean up excessive adhesives with our CRL2032 General Purpose Solvent and Adhesive Cleaner.

Side Window rubber gaskets. When replacing the rubber on the side windows, I left the original end rubber in place on each fixed window. This is the piece into which the glass is inserted. However, I replaced the rest of the rubber with the felt and foam rubber seal described below:
Side window sliding window felt.Felt which will fit the sliding windows is felt from a 1963-66 Dodge Dart, Catalog No. AS1268. This is available from Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc., P.O. Box 328 Windber, PA 15963
Tel. (814)467-9842, (814)467-9282
e-mail: info@restorationspecialties.com

Side window foam rubber seal.I obtained this rubber from Robert Madrigal in Whittier, California as the requirements to buy the rubber from Tampa Rubber are 500'. I got 50' from Robert and this was way more than I needed.(The following pictures and verbage are from the Tampa Rubber website)

Our Sponge Rubber Seals come in a variety of specially designed shapes,
made from a custom formulated EPDM sponge rubber compound. It has a
temperature range of -20ºF to +150ºF. For optimum performance 25%
maximum compression is recommended. These seals come in 500' coils.

Most of our Sponge Rubber Seals (with the exception of the solid round & the round tubing) are available with Pressure Sensitive Adhesive (PSA) on the bottom. This helps provide low-cost installation in any application. Simply peel back the paper, exposing the pressure sensitive adhesive, and apply where desired. There are three types of adhesive available:

Standard PSA ("HT")The "HT" PSA is the most economical adhesive, and is used to hold the rubber seal in place while installing it in a static application or compressed between two stationary objects. It is not recommended in dynamic applications or applications under high stress or shear.

High Tack ("XT")The "XT" PSA is a medium cost adhesive that has better bonding strength to your substrate and rubber. It may be used in some light duty dynamic applications, but is not recommended for high stress or high shear loads.

Bonded Tape ("BT")The "BT" PSA is the most expensive,but it provides the ultimate bond to the rubber and the substrate. It creates a moisture barrier and air tight seal between the rubber and the mating surface. It has the highest peel and shear resistance, and can be used under high loads of stress & force.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
OMGosh!

That is horrible...why would anyone do that....I feel sick at my stomach for you guys. We were at Colaws last week. AS stuff is SOOO expensive...we found a few thing we wanted and needed but couldn't afford them at this time. It was fun going through them all and looking around.

Good luck to you.
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote