Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-19-2006, 01:17 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
 
tinbender's Avatar
 
2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 398
Need window install tips

I removed the window next to the door on my 72 Safari to replace seals and for general maintenance. The window has been leaking pretty badly and was setting in the frame sort of sideways. There was evidence of a less than desirable repair so I drilled out the remaining rivets from the connector strip that attaches at the top of the window frame. Don't know the proper name for it but it is the piece that allows the window to pivot in and out. I also removed the "stops" that limit the side to side travel of the strip. Long story short, this connector strip came out of the channel that it sets in and I am fighting a real uphill battle trying to get it back in so I can rehang the window. Any tips for installation appreciated.

Thanks,

Tindbender
__________________

tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:44 AM   #2
Rivet Monster
 
wahoonc's Avatar

 
1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,174
Images: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbender
I removed the window next to the door on my 72 Safari to replace seals and for general maintenance. The window has been leaking pretty badly and was setting in the frame sort of sideways. There was evidence of a less than desirable repair so I drilled out the remaining rivets from the connector strip that attaches at the top of the window frame. Don't know the proper name for it but it is the piece that allows the window to pivot in and out. I also removed the "stops" that limit the side to side travel of the strip. Long story short, this connector strip came out of the channel that it sets in and I am fighting a real uphill battle trying to get it back in so I can rehang the window. Any tips for installation appreciated.

Thanks,

Tindbender
Tinbender,
Got pictures? If I understand correctly you unriveted the hinge portion? If that is correct you will have to rivet that back in place prior to reinstalling the window. The windows are a bit of a pain to reinstall, you have to get them started in the rail then push down on the center of the top of the window to get them to "pop" into place.

Aaron
__________________

__________________
....so many Airstreams....so little time...
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:42 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
 
tinbender's Avatar
 
2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 398
need window install tips -- pics

Wahoo,

You read my mind correctly. We are thinking of the same part, the hinge.

See attached pics. Will try your method for install soon as the rain stops.

Thanks, TB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Door window 001 (Small).jpg
Views:	106
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	28842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Door window 002 (Small).jpg
Views:	88
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	28843  

tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:51 AM   #4
Rivet Monster
 
wahoonc's Avatar

 
1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,174
Images: 40
TB,
Is that the piece off the window or the piece off the body? Either way it will need to be reinstalled first Then you should be able to swing the window back into position.

Aaron
__________________
....so many Airstreams....so little time...
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,326
Images: 4
Tinbender, I had a similar "interesting challenge" when I removed one of my trailer's windows. On my trailer, a window can only be removed or re-installed when the window is opened almost as far as it will go, after the handles have been disconnected. Only at that correct angle will the window pop in or out of the channel. Even then, a sharp blow with the hand is required to slot into or out of the channel. On one window, no amount of lifting and banging could re-install the window. I looked along the channel at the top of the window, and saw that it was slightly curved, although the mating section on the trailer was straight. I then took various pieces of wood and a large screwdriver, and, by very careful manipulation, slightly straightened the curved channel. The window then re-installed without a problem. You need to establish whether or not your window will slot into the channel at the correct angle. IIRC, the window is not far off vertical before it will engage. You might like to experiment with re-installing the hinge to the window while it is off the trailer, and then, with a helper, re-install the hinge and window as a unit.
Nick.
__________________
Nick Crowhurst, Excella 25 1988, Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel. England in summer, USA in winter.
"The price of freedom is eternal maintenance."
nickcrowhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:58 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member
 
tinbender's Avatar
 
2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
TB,
Is that the piece off the window or the piece off the body? Either way it will need to be reinstalled first Then you should be able to swing the window back into position.
wahoo,

The piece is from the top of the window. I took the pic of the piece inside because of the rain and I hated to rip off all that beautilful blue tape and plastic on the temp install that I did last night.

nickcrowhurst,

Thanks for the input as well. Great point about the near vertical positioning being required. I just knew that someone else had to have had this problem before. Now waiting on a little better working conditions, i.e. weather

TB
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,498
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbender
I removed the window next to the door on my 72 Safari to replace seals and for general maintenance. The window has been leaking pretty badly and was setting in the frame sort of sideways. There was evidence of a less than desirable repair so I drilled out the remaining rivets from the connector strip that attaches at the top of the window frame. Don't know the proper name for it but it is the piece that allows the window to pivot in and out. I also removed the "stops" that limit the side to side travel of the strip. Long story short, this connector strip came out of the channel that it sets in and I am fighting a real uphill battle trying to get it back in so I can rehang the window. Any tips for installation appreciated.

Thanks,

Tindbender
Your windows are removed very easily.

Discconnect the two lift arms.

Raise the window over your head as vertical as possible.

The window will then drop out.

You must not remove the hinge, as you may not get it back on again in a straight line.

The hinge is never removed.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
CaddyGrn's Avatar
 
1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,934
Well,

We have totally different kinds of windows for our 1963 Bambi, I can provide one bit of advice. I do not recommend the hammer technique my husband tried when installing a new glass on ours the first time.... well, maybe I won't elaborate....eventually it all worked out after buying a new window glass for the second time...

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,498
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn
Well,

We have totally different kinds of windows for our 1963 Bambi, I can provide one bit of advice. I do not recommend the hammer technique my husband tried when installing a new glass on ours the first time.... well, maybe I won't elaborate....eventually it all worked out after buying a new window glass for the second time...

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
You might suggest that he use "Lexan" for window replacements in the future.

Lexan does cost a lot more money.

"BUT" you can beat on it with a sledge hammer. He may dent it, but he can't break it.

Although UPS recently managed to break a replacement window made with Lexan. UPS suggests improper packaging, but has no answer when you can bend it into a circle and not break it.

The same material, thicker of course, is used for bullet proofing windows.

Hammers and glass, are notorious enemies.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:26 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member
 
tinbender's Avatar
 
2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
You must not remove the hinge, as you may not get it back on again in a straight line. The hinge is never removed.
Andy
Andy,

I agree, I hope I never have to do it again especially since I am fighting the wind to get it back in, but didn't have much choice as the goal was to properly install the window. There were 3 rivets missing, 2 of which were the outer most one on each side of the hinge. The hinge had a slight curve near each end and those holes would not line up to simply install the missing rivets. The window didn't have adequate support to keep it properly aligned in the frame, and appears to be the source of a longterm leak.
Thanks, TB
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,498
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbender
Andy,

I agree, I hope I never have to do it again especially since I am fighting the wind to get it back in, but didn't have much choice as the goal was to properly install the window. There were 3 rivets missing, 2 of which were the outer most one on each side of the hinge. The hinge had a slight curve near each end and those holes would not line up to simply install the missing rivets. The window didn't have adequate support to keep it properly aligned in the frame, and appears to be the source of a longterm leak.
Thanks, TB
In the interest of saving you from more misery, if you have a question then please post it in the site.

You will have to weigh opinions from the facts, but there are always some of us that will try and help you.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:59 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member
 
1980 25' Excella II
Novato , California
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 11
1980 Excella II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
In the interest of saving you from more misery, if you have a question then please post it in the site.

You will have to weigh opinions from the facts, but there are always some of us that will try and help you.

Andy
I have a question about my windows in my newly purchased 80 Excella II, I have double pane windows that have small amber colored crystals and loose screws sitting between the panes, How difficult is it to remove these windows and repair them. Any links to repair forums is helpful!

Phil
Philmag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:23 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,498
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmag1
I have a question about my windows in my newly purchased 80 Excella II, I have double pane windows that have small amber colored crystals and loose screws sitting between the panes, How difficult is it to remove these windows and repair them. Any links to repair forums is helpful!

Phil
DON'T. STOP. WHOA.

That's how the double pane windows are made.

The crystals are a desiccant which absorbs any moisture that might get in between the two panes of glass.

The screws, as you call them, are probably white. But they are spacers, not screws.

Unless there is visible moisture between the panes of glass, then leave it alone.

It appears that your trying to fix something, that's not broke.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 09:56 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member
 
1980 25' Excella II
Novato , California
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 11
Those spacers or screws have fallen out of the gasket between the glass and are sitting on the bottom! I can see other ones getting loose and they are about to join the ones already there! Thanks for the info on the desiccant crystals. So i gather if I have no leaks fix the other 100 things that are broke.
Philmag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 11:36 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member
 
1976 31' Sovereign
Marlette , Michigan
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6
What color are the pellets to be. my windows have moisture between them and I would like to remidy this. my trailer is a 76 /31 ft
is this a job too big for a all around handy man.
whay seals do i need to purchase for replacements
rymndmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 12:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,498
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmag1
Those spacers or screws have fallen out of the gasket between the glass and are sitting on the bottom! I can see other ones getting loose and they are about to join the ones already there! Thanks for the info on the desiccant crystals. So i gather if I have no leaks fix the other 100 things that are broke.
Hey, don't mess with the ain't broke yet things.

Work on the other 100 things. When you get through with those, the little things won't ever bother you again.

You might however, check the window gaskets to see if they are the oroiginals. If they are, you will find them hard and cracked. They make good water leakers.

Keep the trailer "water leak free." Door gaskets and especially the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets are leakers too.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:49 PM   #17
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 38
Hey Andy, You mentioned the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets. Is it ok to take them off, clean all gasket material off, buff the pipe and the installation hole and replace all with silicone sealant on the reverse install?
gean235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:32 AM   #18
Rivet Monster
 
wahoonc's Avatar

 
1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,174
Images: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean235
Hey Andy, You mentioned the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets. Is it ok to take them off, clean all gasket material off, buff the pipe and the installation hole and replace all with silicone sealant on the reverse install?
Hi jean,
I'm not Andy but I can tell you DO NOT USE SILICONE!!! it does not adhere properly to the aluminum and when (not if) the leaks start back up, you will have a major mess on your hands cleaning the crap off so the proper stuff will stick. Use the proper gasket, screening and Vulkem caulk and you won't go wrong.

Aaron
__________________
....so many Airstreams....so little time...
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:45 AM   #19
Rivet Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,326
Images: 4
The magic search button and inputting "vent pipe gasket" will reveal much information, including Pick's excellent photos and description at:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...kets-5141.html?
Nick.
__________________
Nick Crowhurst, Excella 25 1988, Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel. England in summer, USA in winter.
"The price of freedom is eternal maintenance."
nickcrowhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 07:44 PM   #20
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 38
Thanks Aaron. Will that be VULKEM 116 CAULK that I have read about? Where is the best and nost reasonable place to buy it online? I hope it comes in silver color. Thanks.. Morris
__________________

gean235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Window latch dilemma maxandgeorgia Windows & Screens 5 05-18-2018 11:35 AM
Oval Window Frame Replacement MikeMikeMI Windows & Screens 8 12-30-2007 11:49 AM
1974 Excella front window docu post john hd 1973-1974 Excella 500 22 08-06-2004 02:53 PM
Front Wing Window Repair Charles D. Bennett Windows & Screens 0 08-10-2002 07:04 PM
Window Frame Removal 64GT Windows & Screens 4 04-09-2002 01:40 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×