Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
2012 dodge 4x4 diesel

1975 Argosy 22
Truckee , California
Need ideas for a rock protector on my Argosy wrap windows?

hello, thought I would post to see if any one out there had any ideas for me. On Jan 1st I was hit by a rock on the freeway shattering my drivers side wrap window on my 75 argosy. Thank goodness insurance is covering the $2300 estimate the rv shop has sent in, but I'm still going to be another month with out my trailer due to airstream needing to make the window. I don't recall seeing any rock protectors on the argosy model. Luckily I was close to home when this happened, as opposed to being on a long trip with I often do. I need to come up with something that I can either attach when in travel and then take off, or a perm piece that doesn't abstruct seeing thru the window. I want to keep the middle rectangle window as is since I can see thru the trailer when in tow and see whats behind me. Any ideas?
gypsybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
BJH
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Springtown , Texas
Sorry to hear about your window. There is lots of info on this subject since it is a big concern to protect those fantastic wrap-around windows. Just do a search on "rock guards" and you'll get lots of ideas. I just ordered a set of the soft rock guards from Hornsby Canvas up in Canada. Looking for them in a couple of weeks hopefully.
BJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The rock guards for the 80s and early 90s Airstreams with the wrap around windows has been used by Argosy owners. They are not cheap, but the windows worth protecting. You can find them here:

Solar Gray Rockguard Assembly 1983-96 685275-100 685275-100 [SKU3377] - $895.00 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!
and here:
Inland RV Center Inc.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsybanker View Post
hello, thought I would post to see if any one out there had any ideas for me. On Jan 1st I was hit by a rock on the freeway shattering my drivers side wrap window on my 75 argosy. Thank goodness insurance is covering the $2300 estimate the rv shop has sent in, but I'm still going to be another month with out my trailer due to airstream needing to make the window. I don't recall seeing any rock protectors on the argosy model. Luckily I was close to home when this happened, as opposed to being on a long trip with I often do. I need to come up with something that I can either attach when in travel and then take off, or a perm piece that doesn't abstruct seeing thru the window. I want to keep the middle rectangle window as is since I can see thru the trailer when in tow and see whats behind me. Any ideas?
Argosy trailers use 3 piece "rockguards" which are for the front windows.

They have been available from dealers for over 30 years.

Segment protectors are for the front quarter panels.

They have been available for almost 25 years.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
2012 dodge 4x4 diesel

1975 Argosy 22
Truckee , California
thanks airstream owners! this helps me quite a bit start my research!
gypsybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJH View Post
Sorry to hear about your window. There is lots of info on this subject since it is a big concern to protect those fantastic wrap-around windows. Just do a search on "rock guards" and you'll get lots of ideas. I just ordered a set of the soft rock guards from Hornsby Canvas up in Canada. Looking for them in a couple of weeks hopefully.
I went to their website and was lost. How did you order, as in did they have a templet? and what was the cost?
Old 01-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
This Airforums member came up with a nice approach. I just order the materials to duplicate it.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f469...ors-46690.html

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Following this Nick Crowhurst thread will give you all the details:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f469...ors-46690.html

I'm the guy that paid for the original template that Hornsby has been making money off of ever since....

Sergei

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunset Grant.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	176732
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote