Old 01-11-2004, 08:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Question need help with window frames

Now that I have begun the challenge of restoring our A/S. I need your help. From searching these forums I know that the windows are expensive if you can find them. My problem is the PO removed all the windows along with the frames because
'they didn't work right anymore'. What he did after removing them was to install permanent windows made out of plexi glass. He did a nice job, but I would like to install opening windows and in order to do so need to know what the orginal frames and cranks look like and how they were attached to the trailer. It looks like the entire opening part of the window has been removed. Any help or pictures would be greatly appreciated. If I have to recreate my own frames I would at least like to have them close to the orginal design. Thanks
whistler

Old 01-11-2004, 10:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
It would be helpful to know what year your Caravel is...some years windows are more readily available than others.

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 09:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Good luck.

I think I just came accross a set of windows for our 59 that I can make work. It only took a 10 months. The rear window was damaged in a break in and the front window was removed for a A/C unit on ours. Thankfully the rest are present and working. I'm actually looking at buy a set of 64 windows because they are the only ones close that I have come accross.

I don't have the contact info for this guy with me but I'll try to remember to get it and foward it to you tonight. He may have some windows you can use. He is completly parting the coach I am going to get windows out of. He's asking a fair price but it's not going to be cheap. You honestly might want to concider looking for a trailer not worth restoration that has the windows. Might come out cheaper.

If you look at the bottom of the frame where it attaches to the body there will be some part numbers and a size reference. On our 59 It's very easy to figure out. They are Hehr 1009 2142. The 1009 is the style and the 21 42 is the size. 21 inches by 42 inches. That's the opening in the side of the coach where the window rivets to.

As near as I can tell the window style changed 59 (this I know) and then 63 (late 62) was another style change. Then it appears another style change around 65. I'm also seeing over laps on different models at different plants.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 03:53 PM   #4
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hey Toaster - are there any windows from this rig left over? My friend's looking for one that will fit his curbside on his '60 Traveler. The size is not really that important as the factory didn't install one there in the first place.

Any else left behind on this unit that this guy is parting out? Is it a '64?

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 09:37 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Sorry, I should have listed the year. It's a 1967 (going by the serial #) All the windows are missing so any suggestions would be helpful. If it takes awhile to come up with something I guess we'll just have to suffer with the A/C. I know it'll be tough but I guess we'll survive.

whistler
Old 01-13-2004, 09:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by flyfshr
Hey Toaster - are there any windows from this rig left over? My friend's looking for one that will fit his curbside on his '60 Traveler. The size is not really that important as the factory didn't install one there in the first place.

Any else left behind on this unit that this guy is parting out? Is it a '64?

FF
I'll check. I need to e-mail the guy in the next couple days.

Your buddies traveler should have the 1009's like our 59 and your coach. These 64 windows look a little different. Not going to be very noticable on ours because they will be in the ends and not next to any existing windows. If your friend is going to put it next to another window it may be a very obvious difference.

I'll get the guys e-mail address to you tonight. The coach he is parting is a 64 Trade wind. He has a 59 coach as well. I don't think that's going to be parted. I think that's the one he's restoring.

whistler:

I think these windows are going to be too different to work without some major work. 67 windows had a slight curve looking at he pictures on www.vintageairstream.com. THe 64 was still flat glass. I think you coach was the first year of the Cornning windows. You would need to drill out the rivets and replace the frames to use these windows.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 10:14 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Yea, mine has curved windows. 66 was the first year (I believe) for curved glass. I will use a good quality plexi-glass because of the cost, but I just need to see how the frames were constructed and installed so it doesn't look bad when I'm done. Of course I will continue to look for original replacements. Guess I'll have to find a rally to attend this summer. I had a Argosy trailer 15 years ago but even if the windows were the same I don't remember them. At the time it wasn't realy all that important. It had them!

whistler
Old 06-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Caravanner
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster View Post
Good luck.

I think I just came accross a set of windows for our 59 that I can make work. It only took a 10 months. The rear window was damaged in a break in and the front window was removed for a A/C unit on ours. Thankfully the rest are present and working. I'm actually looking at buy a set of 64 windows because they are the only ones close that I have come accross.

I don't have the contact info for this guy with me but I'll try to remember to get it and foward it to you tonight. He may have some windows you can use. He is completly parting the coach I am going to get windows out of. He's asking a fair price but it's not going to be cheap. You honestly might want to concider looking for a trailer not worth restoration that has the windows. Might come out cheaper.

If you look at the bottom of the frame where it attaches to the body there will be some part numbers and a size reference. On our 59 It's very easy to figure out. They are Hehr 1009 2142. The 1009 is the style and the 21 42 is the size. 21 inches by 42 inches. That's the opening in the side of the coach where the window rivets to.

As near as I can tell the window style changed 59 (this I know) and then 63 (late 62) was another style change. Then it appears another style change around 65. I'm also seeing over laps on different models at different plants.
I have the same model A/S, '59 Caravanner; and I've been drug through it with Intermountain Airstream. First they sent the wrong used window and required us to pay postage back. Then they sent a botched-up manufactured front frame that doesn't fit our back frame, even though we sent measurements and model number. We're still looking for a front frame for a Hehr 1009-2142. Any assistance you could provide would be most appreciated!!!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...imcat2000.html