Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2004, 08:46 PM   #1

Modern Windows for 1964 Safari Land Yacht

I am thinking of replacing the original windows in our Airstream 1966 Safari Land Yacht with modern after-market windows in order to get around the problem of window cranks. Currently, we have two types of windows: the multi-pane jalousies and the one-pane type. None of the windows seem to have any curves. All the windows operate with cranks. The problem is that most of the cranks aren't working well any more. We have ordered and installed replacement cranks, but they aren't any better than the old ones. I expect we will soon be faced with replacing the cranks again.

Has anyone tried just replacing the windows with modern RV windows? I know this is counter to the restoration idea, but we are not purists. We actually use our Airstream as an office and we just need things to work and look nice.

Thanks.

-- mtbenham
mtbenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 09:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Modern Windows for 1964 Safari Land Yacht

Greetings mtbenham!

Welcome to the Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbenham
I am thinking of replacing the original windows in our Airstream 1966 Safari Land Yacht with modern after-market windows in order to get around the problem of window cranks. Currently, we have two types of windows: the multi-pane jalousies and the one-pane type. None of the windows seem to have any curves. All the windows operate with cranks. The problem is that most of the cranks aren't working well any more. We have ordered and installed replacement cranks, but they aren't any better than the old ones. I expect we will soon be faced with replacing the cranks again.

Has anyone tried just replacing the windows with modern RV windows? I know this is counter to the restoration idea, but we are not purists. We actually use our Airstream as an office and we just need things to work and look nice.

Thanks.

-- mtbenham
Since you mention the jalousies, I am guessing that your coach is a '64 as in the post title rather than '66 as in first paragraph. I do know that for the '64 with Hehr windows crank mechanisms should be available. I recently had several of the cranks replaced on my '64 Overlander and all windows now function as new - - at the time, my dealer (Ace Fogdall RV, Cedar Falls, IA) indicated that the only window for which they couldn't get crank mechanisms was the jalousie unit (fortunately, these seem to be longer-lived than the other mechanisms). Replacing the original window unit would be a tremendous project and likely one that would be quite costly - - I suspect that getting units that would seal against the body of the coach would be difficult. I know from my experience managing rental properties that there are several quality levels in these style window operators from the generic one-size fits all, to OEM replacements that are virtually identical and in some cases better engineered than the original - - it can take some investigating to find the people who know where to find the quaity mechanisms for these window operators.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 05:47 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to keylime
mtbenham;

Best of luck with finding an answer to your problem. I am looking into doing the same thing with my '65 TradeWind, and after seeking some workable solution, I think I am going a very non-purist route. But I really don't care. Like you, I am seeking something that works better for me than the engineers at Airstream created.

Since I have lost a few sections of the extruded aluminum frames for the panes and neither the forums or extensive internet-search provided me a source for them, I am considering having some neighboring woodworkers create some custom wood windows for the old Bean. They will be able to work within the parameters of the existing curves of the body, use whatever materials (for the panes) I want, and configured in any way I want; sliding, jalousie, two or three section. The more I think of this option, the more I like it.

Considering any maintenance problems and visual awkwardness, I still have not decided. I would be curious though to know what you decided to do, or whether you found some modern replacements. Keep me/us posted.

regards...
keylime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 10:13 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Big Bear Lake , California
Window Frolic

Greetings,

Windows are a dear subject for me, I've completed the refurbishment of all of them 'cept the jalousie on my 64 Tradewind. And it took a long time to find that t-slot bulb seal to complete the job. Front and rear were replaced with Lexan and the rest are the original glass.

Since you've found the replacement cranks and still don't like their action or quality, you might be able to find a better quality crank on a generic basis. As long as the mounting holes are correct you can shorten the arms, cut, grind and drill a new hole, to fit. If the action bothers you, remove the cranks, install a small finger pull at the bottom of the frame and prop them open with something, as stylish as a stick or as elegant as a polished rod!

If you really want to change the look of the coach with new windows, www.all-rite.com, will make up whatever you want including new flat panels for the jalousie sections . And www.intlwindow.com can provide the replacement jalousies.

That's my 2 cents,
Good hunting,
Ed
Wardinbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 07:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Have you contacted the Airstream factory about doing this? Some vintage owners have had the factory do some extensive re-engineering. I bet they could pop an entire set of 2004 Airstream windows into your '64.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:51 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Norman , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbenham

Thanks.

-- mtbenham

The 64 Hehr windows are, as far as I know, unique. Someone may correct me, but that 2800 series window was found only on that year trailer. Having recently rebuilt eleven of them, I feel your pain. The operators and the nylon torsion arm guides are the weak link in this particular window. The operators are available at any RV parts house, but as you mentioned, thay are not any better quality than the originals. I have replaced all eleven operators once, and three of them twice. The nylon torsion arm guides are only available through Inland RV and are quite expensive. As far as I know, Inland is the only source. Having said all that, I still belive rebuilding the originals would be far easier than trying to replace them.

Thanks

Mark
Old 12-06-2004, 09:25 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Project Note

"The nylon torsion arm guides are only available through Inland RV and are quite expensive. As far as I know, Inland is the only source."

Mark, (and others dealing with this)
The Hehr series windows in my 64 TW are the 1200's. Although you've completed your work on them, there is a work-a-round for the nylon torsion arm guides. I found this solution on an individuals restoration site and for the life of me can't find it now for reference.

The torsion arm guide can be made from a nylon screw and nut. The head, shank and nut are simply ground down to fit within the window channel, add a bit of grease and the assembly workss as well if not better than the original.

Ed
Old 12-06-2004, 09:46 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

The All-Rite site looked great, pop-in complete windows, but unfortunately they make only FLAT windows. Less to do with hardware and more to do with entire window replacement, how would (the collective) we deal with the curvature of the 'Stream?

Since we have a bit of momentum going on this thread, I'll throw out the question I asked once before. Any insight on the extruded aluminum frame material that actually holds the panes? I have a few pieces missing, and without the same profile, a good match (weatherproof) would be difficult.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:28 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
You might be SOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime
The All-Rite site looked great, pop-in complete windows, but unfortunately they make only FLAT windows. Less to do with hardware and more to do with entire window replacement, how would (the collective) we deal with the curvature of the 'Stream?

Since we have a bit of momentum going on this thread, I'll throw out the question I asked once before. Any insight on the extruded aluminum frame material that actually holds the panes? I have a few pieces missing, and without the same profile, a good match (weatherproof) would be difficult.
Keylime,
I'd suggest you email All-Rite, they are used to these kind of issues, and discuss what they propose for a replacement, just because it's not visuable on their site doesn't mean a solution isn't there. Hehr is still in business but questionable whether they could assist until you ask.
A missing frame piece for the operable window portion is not an easy thing. Arizona Salvage might have it. There's also a A/S junk yard in the Mid-West somewhere, also try Tad Taylor's site at www.healthy-homes.com. and click on his Tag Sale and email him with your question. I don't envy your quest.
Ed
Old 12-06-2004, 03:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime
Just a quick note here - have you tried a metal (aluminum) fabricating place - if they have even a picture and dimensions of what you want they usually can make anything you need and fairly reasonable too - well at least our guy up here is - and they do a nice job too.

If you can access another piece of the "extruded aluminum frame material that actually holds the panes" that you could take for a sample that would be even better.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 07:38 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I did speak with someone at All-Rite who said they only do flat, but maybe she was out of the loop. Considering this, a new front and rear set-up can be had with Lexan (wind just ripped up my front window a few days ago!), and I will look into the local shops here and see what is available. Good news is, if I decide to replace the front/rear, there will be enough remaining aluminum from them to repair the other windows.

Anyone purchased from All-Rite before?

regards...
'66 Triumph-Tiger 500cc

Tags
1964, 1964 safari