Old 05-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Question Modern Airstream window frames up side down?

I noticed a leak in the the kitchen window, during our unseasonable and annoying snow this morning. It will be easy to repair, but I discovered something that seems to be a design flaw.

The window frame is a one piece band of aluminum that is wrapped around the window. I noticed that the ends of this frame are butted together at to top of the window. It is this joint that is allowing the leak.

Can anyone think of why this joint would be placed at the top of the window instead of the bottom? It seems like a no brainer to me, but maybe I am missing something.

regards,

Ken

Old 05-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I noticed a leak in the the kitchen window, during our unseasonable and annoying snow this morning. It will be easy to repair, but I discovered something that seems to be a design flaw.

The window frame is a one piece band of aluminum that is wrapped around the window. I noticed that the ends of this frame are butted together at to top of the window. It is this joint that is allowing the leak.

Can anyone think of why this joint would be placed at the top of the window instead of the bottom? It seems like a no brainer to me, but maybe I am missing something.

regards,

Ken
Ken.

That seam is supposed to be seal from the back side.

Andy

Old 05-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Ken.

That seam is supposed to be seal from the back side.

Andy
Hi Andy,

OK, I went and looked at it again and I guess I know what you mean. The seam in the window frame that the water is dripping from is actually between the inner and outer shell. I think the water must be getting in between the window frame and the outside shell, although the seal looks good. The drip has stopped and the snow has melted off the top of that window frame, but there is still a bunch of snow melting on top of the awning mount. I am hoping that means the leak is not up there. I am also wishing there was a way to see behind the kitchen cabinets, in case some water is leaking out further down. I pulled a couple of drawers out can only see the inside of the back of the cabinets.

Regards,

Ken
Old 05-12-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Hi Andy,

OK, I went and looked at it again and I guess I know what you mean. The seam in the window frame that the water is dripping from is actually between the inner and outer shell. I think the water must be getting in between the window frame and the outside shell, although the seal looks good. The drip has stopped and the snow has melted off the top of that window frame, but there is still a bunch of snow melting on top of the awning mount. I am hoping that means the leak is not up there. I am also wishing there was a way to see behind the kitchen cabinets, in case some water is leaking out further down. I pulled a couple of drawers out can only see the inside of the back of the cabinets.

Regards,

Ken
Ken.

Once in a while, the gasket seam is at the top, which of course would leak.

Check and see where the gasket seam is on that leaker.

Andy