Old 09-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #15
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
OK, finally received my shimmed butyl (Tremco Polyshimm II) from All Glass Parts (allglassparts.com). I ordered 1/16, 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4 because I didn't know which thickness I would need to space the plexi the right distance. Ended up using the 1/16 between the glass and frame, and the 3/16 between the plexiglass and the glass. The aluminum trim piece that holds it all in place was a pretty tight fit going back in. Nice seal between glass and frame. Glazed with gray Vulkem 116. I'm waiting on some mac-daddy silicone that's supposed to kick Vulkem's but for glazing. We'll see over the next few years. So far I'm really pleased with the way the Vulkem came out, will let you know about the silicone.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I had one vista window leaking when I got my trailer. The previous owner had removed the inner glass and stopped there. I removed all the spacer material, added a strip of tight fitting weatherstripping to hold the glass out, sealed the outside frame with Vulkem 116, and sealed the glass to the frame with 100% Silicone.

I tried to seal the glass to the frame with Vulkem but it didn't hold. The Silicone is working good. Ending the second year with no leaks.

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #17
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
What exactly was the material you used to hold out the glass?

I'm wanting to do that same thing, remove the inner pane (it's plastic) but as yet, I'm not sure how to keep the outer pane in place.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post

I'm wanting to do that same thing, remove the inner pane (it's plastic) but as yet, I'm not sure how to keep the outer pane in place.

I did it two years ago and I had a couple false starts. I got the directions from a post here. It was a sort of hard weatherstripping. I got the wrong size twice before I got the right one. It was a very tight fit. I laid in a hefty bead of Vulkem 116 and pushed the spacer into the Vulkem. It still leaked until I used the Silicone on the outside.

I have a friend who replaces windows for a living. He told me which Silicone to buy. It's made to hold glass to metal. It's not silicone caulk.

`
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:25 AM   #19
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post

I used 1/16th inch Tremco Polyshim II between the frame and the glass. It's a shimmed butyl rubber. You can get it for around 20 bucks a roll from allglassparts.com. I used the same stuff but in 3/16th inch thickness between the glass and the plexiglass. Nice tight fit of the aluminum ring going back in. Then you can glaze the window with your choice of silicone or Vulkem. I'm testing out both to see which lasts longer. I'll post up pictures in my "Big Bertha" thread later this weekend.
-Red