Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
leaky '66 Caravelle window

Hi all, my side window is leaking from both upper corners and seemingly right in the middle top where the window attaches the the aluminium. I tried some silicone sealant on the corners, but it is leaking quite badly from the middle top. Do I need to unscrew the window and reattach it with some new sealant?
awolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by awolff View Post
Hi all, my side window is leaking from both upper corners and seemingly right in the middle top where the window attaches the the aluminium. I tried some silicone sealant on the corners, but it is leaking quite badly from the middle top. Do I need to unscrew the window and reattach it with some new sealant?
First mistake, was using silicone sealer.

Now, you cannot use the correct sealer until you remove "EVERY" trace of the silicone, since chemically, it sets up a barrier.

Have you replaced the window gaskets?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
Hi, yes, I replaced the window weather stripping on all the Windows. It was difficult to get it up into the corners, so I put some flowable sealant to hopefully seal any books and crannys.

Looking at the top of the window I can see where the original sealant, Vulcan(?), has some gaps in it ,so wondering if that's where water is coming in on the middle top of the window.

So what's the correct way to solve the problem?

Putting on those eyebrow aluminium things over the window?

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Hi, yes, I replaced the window weather stripping on all the Windows. It was difficult to get it up into the corners, so I put some flowable sealant to hopefully seal any books and crannys.

Looking at the top of the window I can see where the original sealant, Vulcan(?), has some gaps in it ,so wondering if that's where water is coming in on the middle top of the window.

So what's the correct way to solve the problem?

Putting on those eyebrow aluminium things over the window?

Thanks!
Vulkem sealer was never used by Airstream on your windows.

The "D" shaped gasket does a superior job of sealing the sides and bottom of the 66 to 68 windows.

The fix for the water leak, is easy, but requires a little patience.

With the window closed, clean the exterior hinge area very well.

Make sure ALL the water is gone.

Then with the window closed, add a bead of silicone sealer to the hinge section that moves.

Open the window.

After 5 minutes or so, close the window.

Repeat the opening and closing until you know that the silicone has taken a set.

Wait a little longer then remove the excess silicone.

What you have done is added a little barrier within the hinge. That takes care of the hinge water leaks. A good gasket, like the "D" gasket, properly installed takes care of the rest of the leaks.

Then, have a beer, or maybe even two.

Repeat for each window, and then "relax".

Andy
Old 12-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
Hi Andy, thanks for the help. I think i've stopped the leaks at the corners of the window, but there still seems to be water coming in from the top and it pools on the top of the inside window frame on the two windows: the front side and kitchen windows. How can water be getting there?

I have another leak too, the refridgerator access door! I've put the grey 'foam like' weather strip there replacing what seemed to be there before, but it's soaked with water on the lower right hand corner. The wierd thing with that is also it seems to be coming from inbetween the outside and inside walls. Because I've put DUCT tape all around the outside of the access door to see if I could isolate the leak. Even with the DUCT tape completely sealing the outside, there's quite a bit of water pooled up on the bottom ledge of that access panel.

Yikes! So many leaks! Is there a place or way to test for leaks in the seams of the trailer that could be causing issues inbetween the outer and inner walls?
Old 12-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Hi Andy, thanks for the help. I think i've stopped the leaks at the corners of the window, but there still seems to be water coming in from the top and it pools on the top of the inside window frame on the two windows: the front side and kitchen windows. How can water be getting there?

I have another leak too, the refridgerator access door! I've put the grey 'foam like' weather strip there replacing what seemed to be there before, but it's soaked with water on the lower right hand corner. The wierd thing with that is also it seems to be coming from inbetween the outside and inside walls. Because I've put DUCT tape all around the outside of the access door to see if I could isolate the leak. Even with the DUCT tape completely sealing the outside, there's quite a bit of water pooled up on the bottom ledge of that access panel.

Yikes! So many leaks! Is there a place or way to test for leaks in the seams of the trailer that could be causing issues inbetween the outer and inner walls?
The reefer access door is not leaking, but the reefer vent up on the roof more than likely is.

The window leaks at the top are from the hinge.

Andy
Old 12-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
Ah, ok, i suspected that nasty old fridge vent on the roof, but it's hard to see, so you think it's leaking from there and down between the skin and inner wall then?

K, we were thinking of replacing the old original one with the new one available anyway.

For the windows then, i'll have to go back and retreat the windows.

Saw people mentioning something called Capt. Tolley's creeping crack cure, have you ever used it for this window problem?
Old 12-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
windows.

Saw people mentioning something called Capt. Tolley's creeping crack cure, have you ever used it for this window problem?
Never heard of the stuff.

Andy
Old 12-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I would like to share my experience with 1966 windows.
When the gasket is clean and crisp, they seal perfectly. As soon as any sealant is introduce they leak horribly. Remove all of the gasket material and clean out all the glue and sealant others have installed. There should be zero sealant in the ends of the hinge or anywhere. Clean, clean, clean. Use Acryl-R to seal the entire perimeter where the window and skin meet. Next paint a THIN coat of the 3M gasket adhesive to where the gaskets will lay. Thin and only where the gasket is going to sit. Let it dry 100%. Apply a thin coat of glue to the gasket. Start in the very upper corner and get the gasket all the way up in the corner. It is that corner that needs to be the seal. Go all the way around the window. The hinge is not a leak point. If the window continues to leak, the spot is further up and the water is coming out at the window.
As Andy stated, the leak at the refer hatch is the scoop up on the roof. The original is made of plastic, it has cracked and it is leaking there. I recommend you look over that very carefully. At the same time check the stove fan vent too. They tend to crack and leak badly also. Another issue you will see up there is the plumbing stack vents. It would be to your advantage to replace both of them.
I say all this because three 1966 Caravels have been through my shop in the past two years. They all suffered from all the issues I described to you. Take a good look under the bathroom sink cabinet while your at it. Sorry to mention that
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #10
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:

It is a cheap version of Acryl-R. Acryl-R is good stuff.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
Thanks to both of you for your help and advise. While we were up looking at the fridge vent, we saw to our surprise someone had drilled a hole right in the middle of a Rivet that holds he awning channel to the airstream. We couldn't believe it. Also that paricular rivet was right around the spot where the fridge vent and door are, so if we are lucky, maybe that was the main culprit. We drilled it out and put a new rivet in.

Will be replacing the fridge vent cover tomorrow and checking above the window frames.

Thanks again guys! Time for beer now

Tags
caravelle