Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2005, 06:05 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Be careful of what you throw away when removing anything. The item may be trashed, but it can serve as a pattern for the replacment. I have all of what was left of the Ambassador interior in my shed. I will keep it all till I have finished the trailer. Then and only then will the stuff go to the landfill where it belongs.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 07:23 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
I ripped my '61 Overlander apart almost two years ago and did not keep a thing due to excessive mold and mouse poop.I thought I would just remember how it all went together.Now I may need a little help from forum members and hopefully I can make a trip to a vintage rally this summer to see some of the details.I have saved many pictures from the net but they do not give enough detail on things like door edges and a few key dimensions.
greg176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 09:48 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Hey there Greg - just wanted to tell you how amazing the work you did on your floor was! Man, I hope mine doesn't require that much work - I've never welded and wouldn't want to start with fabricating a frame. In any event, there's no way I would discard anything from this project - I couldn't begin to remember how things might go back together the next day let alone months (I'll be optomistic here and not say years). Since it seems like it might be worth my while to hold on for possible repro Corning windows I think the first thing I will do is to probe the interior as best I can for floor rot without removing anything - forum members have been extremely helpful in suggesting such spots under the front window, bathroom and galley sinks, the refrigerator area...if I find it there then it's probably time to get into the belly panels and remove them to get a bird's eye view of what's going on. I will photograph and log everything I remove religiously especially since this is my first time at this. I would love to be able to keep as much original detail as possible - it's in such good shape it would be a shame to discard it...If anyone has other suggestions on where to start I'm very open to all of them. The weather is also a determining factor in terms of what I can get done (currently 7 deg, big snow coming Sat).....
moogie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 10:15 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
I was just looking a the pictures of your Safari and it looks great! I don't think you'll have to worry about ripping out he floor,maybe just a couple of repairs.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:01 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Hi Greg! Sorry this is so delayed I was up in snowy New Hampshire this weekend and this is my first chance back to the forum - Just one question - if I indeed just have spots to worry about what is your opinion (and anyone else who wants to weigh in on this) on spot repair (patching) vs replacing the entire panel of wood on the floor? I probably should move this to the floor section.....PS I hope you're right about it - What I do know is that the tiles are pretty tightly adheared everywhere else except this one spot (couple off by the door, but that wood doesn't feel that bad)
Old 01-24-2005, 08:10 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
I opted for spot patching with Rotfix and Woodsculpt. I would not recommend it for any sizable area though.

Welcome back. Did you get snowed in?

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:20 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
I really like the idea of patching rather than "the full monty" treatment I've been reading about. Obviously I still need to get out there and probe much more before I can determine the extent of all of it (and now that the poor thing is mired in a foot or so of snow in sub zero temps the urge to do it is not quite as great as it was when it was just plain cold outside!)

I didn't get snowed in and my friends in Durham NH (SE coastal corner) got about as much as we did in Southern CT - problem was getting through Mass. which got more than 2 feet in spots. The plows would make thier way through and all the snow would get blown right back onto the highway - white knuckled driving for about 50 miles! There were more than just a few people out there towing snowmobile trailers too - I kept on thinking how happy I was not to have my safari behind me.....

It's very nice to be back!
Old 01-24-2005, 10:42 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Spot repairing with rot doctor or something like it is fine.If the area is larger a piece of wood can be spliced in.It's up to you how far into it you want to go.other factors can be the musty smell of partially rotten wood and mouse poop in insulation under floor.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:07 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
weather

As you cut and explore things will make sense. I hope! We're getting rain here later today while my POR15 takes it's time getting to me in the mail. Good you didn't get snowed in, that was in the news here in California. I won't be able to do any exterior work for a few days. The paint will arrive right when the rain starts I know it. Boy I wish I had a warehouse and hooks in the ceiling to hang the shell from, etc. etc. there's a gentleman on the forums who has just that, I envy him!

Remember take things one at a time. You might not want to pull out an appliance to see the floor because you're not sure if it works, but if it needs to be discarded and replaced, there's your answer.

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 05:17 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Hi ingrid and Greg!

Found Steph's thread on floor rot last night and started at the beginning lapping up each reply with great interest. Wow! I can see the same thing happening to me! But, I think I am seeing what you guys mean by "you'll know when you get there" - I think if I am lucky enough to just have this rot issue in that one place, then a patch will be enough, but my suspicion is that it will be more wide spread in which case I might even have to do the full monty. The really nice thing is, though, while she's doing it alone, she's not really - and she's lucky enough to have others in her area to help out in a pinch but the cool thing is that so far she has been doing it by herself. That gives me great inspiration. I also really appreciated her pictures. I think I am finally beginning to understand how this trailer is designed structure-wise....think anyways! Oh and Greg - I don't know if I added this before but if there is anything with a '67 that has any relation to your '61 (measurement -wise, etc) I would love to help you out.....!
Old 01-25-2005, 05:49 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Question Repair

I found a pretty good sized area in the rear of my Trade Wind.
After I removed the bath room it was lucky to repalce 12" by the width of the camper.
http://home.comcast.net/~balrgn/Airstream/DSC02299.jpg
The hard part was to find a way to anchor it. Came up through the underside with lags. This prevented removing the inside panels.
http://home.comcast.net/~balrgn/Airstream/DSC02329.jpg
Gave me a chance to address some other issues that I knew about and ones that came up upon disassembly.
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 08:39 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Very interesting (and nice patch job)! At the moment
I don't see anything that's right up to the edges and
would love to get away with patches...I am going to embark on a rigerous search this weekend (well, as rigerous as I can get with the amount of snow we have) to see the amount of that's in store for me. Keep your fingers crossed!