Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2003, 09:13 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
leak or condensation

This weekend it rained on my '67 Tradewind and in the morning I had standinging water inside the "tray" of both port and starboard windows just forward of the door. I sopped it out with towels and could not find any wet trail from above. Since it happened on both windows I'm trying to determine if by coincidence they both leak above or if it was condensation. We had the AC on a moderate temp and it was in low 70's outside. Had two adults, two kids and big dog inside but I thought condensation would happen when it was much colder outside.
If these are indeed leaks, what type of caulk can I use to shove under the seams? Should I rub any around the rivets as well? I hate the idea of pulling out windows but will do what I need to. I appreciate any advice. Thank you. Jim
Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 09:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Does your coach have fiberglass interior end caps? They will move water a great distance before it becomes obvious. I am about to start hunting a leak on ours and I'm convinced it's the the where the exterior end cap meets at the first rib. I am find it wet at the trim on the top of the front windows where the fiberglass end cap ends. This happens on both ends of our coach. I feel the sealant has finaly failed in some of the seams along the roof on our coach (agrivated by a bad floor causing more body movement then it should have had).

www.airstreamdreams.com sells vulchem and some syringes to address resealing those areas. You may also need to reseal the top edges of the window frames. I would spend some time in the forum as well researching leaks. Many good posts on how to find as well as deal with various leaks that can develope.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 09:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I would suspect the window gaskets first. Probably need replacing anyhow right?? I am not that familiar with your vintage though, don't you have the Corning windows?

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 09:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
leaks

yes, still have the corning windows. I don't know if I have fiberglass end caps or not. I thought it was all aluminum, didn't know that fiberglass was a possibility.
Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 11:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Wet breath

I'd suspect you and your family for the wetness. We just got back from the woods, had HEAVY condensation inside all our windows - I have a feeling some of it may be due to the poor window gaskets, leaking air into the trailer, then condensating when the vapor hits the cold of the windows. Us two and four legged beasts also exhale a lot of hot warm air.

If it hadn't been all the windows, I too would've suspected a leak. Heavy rain outside+ 40 - 50 degrees. Two adults, two kids and one dog.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 03:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: leaks

Quote:
Originally posted by jfsjr
yes, still have the corning windows. I don't know if I have fiberglass end caps or not. I thought it was all aluminum, didn't know that fiberglass was a possibility.
Just on the inside ends. Look for the rivets. Most coaches after late 50's went to Fiberglass for the ends.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote