Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2008, 02:16 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
FAYETTEVILLE , North Carolina
Jalousie Window Questions

I've looked and can't find the answer. I have the jalousie windows, and they haven't been taken care of. There aren't any seals and some of the clips are horrible. I ordered replacement clips and some of the seals. My questions are:

Where are all the seals supposed to be one the Jalousie Windows?
How do you remove the glass panes form the Jalousies?
What seals the bottom of the very bottom jalousie?
Does anyone have a picture of the exterior trim of the top Jalousie window in a trailer with the stacked Jalousie's?

Thanks in advance
Nick
wiegand01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Just bumping this, as I too now have to fix some Jalousie's...
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The lowest jalousy bumps up against a furry window seal strip like in a car. There are no seals between the other panes and so they always leak air, unless you put a fixed acrylic panel in to replace the screens on the inside. I bent the aluminum clips to get mine out. You might be able to just push on them enough to get past the stop without bending the aluminum. I had to buy two new panes as someone tried to break in by reaching thorough the panes they broke. Luckly, the dead bolt was one that you can only use keys on the inside as well as the outside.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
I purchased seals and weatherstrips for my Jalousie windows from Vintage Trailer Supply (www.vintagetrailersupply). They had both the seals that fit onto the bottom of the glass for sealing between the glasses (order by the foot) and the weatherstrip that fits in the channel of the AS below the bottom glass that seals the lower part of both bottom glasses. I cannot find the clips, VTS shows them, but are out & they say they're discontinued.
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:41 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Jalousie Window Questions

For the glass retainer clips, you might try the local yellow pages. Look for a shop specializing in screened porches, sun rooms, etc. that has been in business for quite a time. They are one of the more likely sources. Another possibility if you live in or near a University town where there are trailer parks with older mobile homes are, look for a mobile home repair shop and check with them -- that is how I found some extras about five years ago (unfortunately, that shop closed when highway reconstruction went through the business' property). You might also try checking architectural salvage yards -- you might have to buy a complete jalousie window unit, but it might yield a treasure-trove of extra replacement parts. An active remodeling contractor might also be able to help with locating a "used" parts window.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
These style windows were widely used in mobil homes in Flrorida or the other sun belt states. There are mobile home maintenance companies thorough out the south that have repair parts in stock. I found parts for my sister's mobil home on Florida's west coast around Tampa within a couple of hours.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Here's a pic but I'm not sure how the quality will turn out. There is a drip cap on top of the stack. The Tradewind isn't right here so I can't go and look, but if memory serves me I think there is some type of extruded aluminum strip beneath the drip cap and over the bottom stack. The frame is one of the old extruded Hehr windows.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JalousiesDSCN4387.jpg
Views:	1148
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	67124
Old 09-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
That looks familiar!

Thanks!

I just noted that VTS (and for the record, Inland too) has all that I need... I'm lucky that all the clips were there.. just missing all the gaskets, holder pads for the glass... and.. well... one pane of glass that I'm about to order. Did AS use safety glass back then for these windows? If not, I think I may go replace them with tempered glass.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:39 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
3ms75argosy,
I just finished rebuilding the jalouse windows on my 63 Ambassador. I ordered the parts from vintagetrailersupply.com. There are weather strips that run down each side of the windows, the old require a little tugging to get them out but they have a metal back that helps them to pull out in one peice. I bought a one foot section of plastic roll that can be cut into peices that help to hold the glass in place. Dab a little vulkem on the back of each circle and she will hold perfectly. There is also a fury trim peice at the top and bottom that will need to be replaced. Once again Vintage will have everything you need and no I don't think the window glass is tempered. Good Luck!!

63silver
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote