Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 06:36 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 143
Interior Aluminum Flange for Fixed window

While working on removing the window screens and two flanges that go around the two fixed windows on m '76 G/T, I had laid a piece on the driveway and my wife accidentally rolled over the piece in this picture.

Tried banging it back to original form but no go.

Is a piece this still available? I'm thinking it is not. In that case, where could I go to have someone make one for me? I know it's aluminum and I think the process is called brake metal? Does that sound right?

The window flange, made of aluminum is @ 20.5" wide x 10" high.


Ken in MN
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windowflange2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	128777  

kentuvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 143
Well okay than!

Since part may not be available, does anyone have a suggestion on where to go and find a shop that does aluminum fabrication - I think it would be a brake metal machine?

Suggestions appreciated!

kentuvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master
DanielB's Avatar
1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,073
Blog Entries: 8
Your best bet is probably any sheet metal shop.
Cutting it to the correct size and getting the 90 degree angles should be no problem.
Getting it bent to the oval shape is going to be the booger, but the sheet metal guys can probably do it. Don't let them BS you.
As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say. I just watch what they do.
- Andrew Carnegie
DanielB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master
truckasaurus's Avatar

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,185
Images: 25
I can't help much but if I had to make that I'd use a brake for the crease then a shrinker-stretcher. A brake is used to bend metal in straight lines. You might try a local aircraft school. Sorry I can't help more.
1960 Sovereign 33' Pacific Railroad Custom
truckasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Colin H's Avatar
1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 740
You could make it out of some aluminum angle & use a "stretcher" to create the the radii. Stretchers are available at Harbor Freight & other metal fabricator suppliers online. They aren't very expensive but this may be the only job you might have for it.
Another option would be to contact Ryan at . He buys wrecked Airstream's & parts them out. He's a fair guy & knows his stuff.
Good luck with it,
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:17 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member
2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 143
Thanks so much! I knew there had to be a solution!
kentuvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:46 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
jackson center , Ohio
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 158
You can contact Camper Repair in Montevallo,Alabama and speak with Sony Hare. He may have the size you need. Also Airstream still uses the window trim rings on new models but they only have bare aluminum.
Schu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:52 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member
n8andm's Avatar
Vintage Kin Owner
Minneapolis , Minnesota
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 46
Blog Entries: 1
Since you live in MN I would go to Discount Steel & Aluminum, they do fabrications. Also my metal worker friends suggest Garelick's.
|:Silver Streak Jet:|
n8andm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 143

Well, I couldn't find anyone who had another piece for sale and the quotes I got were north of $500.

So, I showed it to a friend a retired mechanical engineer, and he helped me bang out the dents with a small hammer. I used bondo to make it close to brand new.

Sometimes you just need to be creative!

Thanks for your suggestions - appreciate it!
kentuvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member
1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 393
If you are looking for older Airstream parts, try Hart Trailer Sales in Long Prairie MN. they were dealers for Airstream years ago and still have lots of old parts and aluminum extrusions. Talk to Wayne Rahn, Parts and Shop Manager. Great Guy to talk with and knows his stuff. Ph #320-732-6106

CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'58 Hehr Window - Is this the correct window operator replacement? mello mike Windows & Screens 22 10-08-2012 08:49 AM
AS280 - Front (driver) sliding window latch dalefox Classic Motorhomes 13 01-05-2012 06:41 PM
Rear window leak fixed! Really? I think so. 1964 GlobeTrottin 1960 - 1964 Globetrotter 0 04-30-2011 05:42 AM
Replace missing front window with jalousie? Cruisette Windows & Screens 6 03-31-2011 04:23 PM
Got my window out. Now what? Breadbug Windows & Screens 3 01-23-2011 07:27 PM

Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.