Old 11-22-2005, 12:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1968 20' Globetrotter
1988 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Georgia
I'm new to Windows Forum

cause I've been hanging out at the Floor Replacement forum. My 68 Globetrotter needs a new floor due to five leaks.
Before my husband installs the new floor, I need to fix the leaks. (He assigned me this responsibility) Two leaks are at windows, the front flat stationary window and the streetside curved rollout window.
A leak is at the rectangular refridge vent and the other is at the round sink- drain vent. The 5th leak is unknown and is at neither a window door or vent.
I've used Search and cannot find specifics for '68 GT. Are there gasket kits for this year/model windows and/or vents? Do I use Vulkem. Do I need to take all the windows/vents off and Acetone clean etc.
Guidance or a point to an existing thread would be greatly appreciated. I need help for the beginner

Thanks all, I enjoy reading this stuff and then showing off my new knowledge to my husband,

68Glbtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 02:42 PM   #2
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I would check with Vintage Trailer Supply
They carry vent covers and window seals as well as many other items.
Good luck with the project!

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 02:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama

Unfortunately, Vintage Trailer supply does not carry the window gaskets for your model year, but they do carry Vulkem and, I believe, Parbond. Read more about these two sealers in this thread. Chances are, though, that your gaskets are not a big problem at this point. If you do decide to replace them, I posted a few tips at my website. Your '68 is quite similar to my '67.

Inland Andy posted some excellent information on sealing window hinges of your Airstream's era with RTV. I wish I could locate that post because the window hinge is the only part of your Airstream where RTV is an approved sealer.

Start with this thread, and go from there.

1967 Airstream Overlander International
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:50 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Just did that!

Hi Julie! Welcome to the forums! I have a '67 Safari and just installed new weatherstripping on all my windows and then sealed up all the leaks I had. It rained pretty hard last night and I went inside it this morning and it seemed dry. I bought my weatherstripping from Inland and the adhesive to install it as well - the name escapes me at the moment but they can easily tell you what it's called. Before you install it, it's essential to make sure the contact surface is totally clean. After scraping the old weaherstripping off with a paint scraper I used a wire brush mounted on my portable drill to do the rest - it worked very well!

Once the weatherstripping was done, I turned the hose on the windows and noticed I still had leakage in my front side windows, especially the lower fixed one. I bought both Parbond and Vulkem from Vintage Trailer Supply and used the parbond around evey seam by these windows. Worked like a charm. Wished I had done it a year ago when I got it because the floor under them wouldn't be half as bad!

Vulkem is used on larger gapped sealing projects - I used it to reseal my top vent covers. I just heard tonight that one way to aviod making a mess with it is to use tape on either side of your seam and pull it up when the vulkem has been applied. I will definately try this next time. Good luck finding the mystery leak. Checking out your roof is a good first step. I found a lot of breaches in my seals up there!

Keep us posted on your progress, Diane
moogie32 is offline   Reply With Quote