Old 07-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Westbrook , Maine
If you had it to do over again...vista views?

For those of you who broke out the interior vista view windows, due to condensation, would you do it again? Have there been any negatives to having broken them out? We're trying to decide if it's anywhere near worth the effort to remove ours and reinstall, or just break them out. We
do not have the ones easily removed and it's really, really slow going. Since we have the interior draw downs (shades), I can't see where we would really have to worry about thermal losses. If you have experience with this issue and can enlighten us as to whether, or not, you are happy or unhappy with your end result and why, we'd like to hear from you. The
one thing that does concern me is the stabilization of the remaining exterior window. Thank you for your help.........Janet

Old 07-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Sovereign76,
I know you are looking for those that broke out their vista, I did NOT break them out, but had them replaced in April this year. I did it at a dealer and the price of installation was not that bad. I will caution that messing with something that has been in place for 40 years, could come at a risk. I've had a slight leak with the single window under the curbside awning (reseated it) and the other two were no issues. We have been in some down pours and they have held up pretty decently.

The advantage of having clear windows has been worth the money. With temps over 100 degrees, we still could enjoy the sky and stars from inside the coach at the beach, whereas a year ago and years ago it was a non starter.

With you being up there in Maine, you might get a shot at those Northern lights in late Summer if you get up North a little more, an not ahve to worry about the bug spray.

I've attached a picture of what they look like new with the single pane. I'm glad we did it. I think each window was $232.00 each and about an hour per window. Expensive in comparison to breaking out the glass, but if you break both panes, your into a new window.

Good luck in your decision.

SL4BLLT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	window1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	163682  

Old 07-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I did break the inners, and one outer. Eventually I will be replacing the other two with new single pane windows. Interestingly enough the only one that leaked was the brand new replacement. Apparently they didn't get the seal in quite right at the factory. I ended up putting sealant along the glass to frame joint and it stopped leaking.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Wahoo, how did you break your vista views? Also did you do the stacks as well or just the vv?
Old 07-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
Wahoo, how did you break your vista views? Also did you do the stacks as well or just the vv?
I used a machinists punch, covered the windows in duct tape first. Got a bit too happy with the one.

Only the wing windows and Vista Views were double panes on my trailer. The stacks were single pane.

Here is a link to my photo album that shows some of the process. For some reason they loaded in reverse.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Some Vista View windows have a plexiglass inner pane that is merely bonded onto the inside of the window sash. You might luck out, and have that configuration.
If that is what you have, all you have to do is pull the metal trim off the inside of the plexiglass, then peel the plexiglass down. If it won't peel, simply scribe a heavy "X" across the plexiglass, and smack it with something in the center of the "X". It should crack into 4 pieces, and you can remove it then.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
So glad you asked this question. I have also been wondering the same thing. Did anyone on the forum make a photo journal, and a parts list for this process?
Old 07-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Terry, what does one do then? I mean, on mine at least, the sealant (looks like Vulkem) has crept from the edge of the VV in the direction of the middle. That I can clean, I guess.

But, does removing the inner plastic window need to be followed by adding some other support around the outer window, or is it stable as is?
Old 07-23-2012, 02:58 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Terry, what does one do then? I mean, on mine at least, the sealant (looks like Vulkem) has crept from the edge of the VV in the direction of the middle. That I can clean, I guess.

But, does removing the inner plastic window need to be followed by adding some other support around the outer window, or is it stable as is?
That's the million dollar question for me as well. I think what you're referring to as vulkem is really butyl or some other form of putty.

I've seen the router/dremel template process as well (only if it's plexiglass and not glass) and that looks rather simple and effective. I'm just not sure which way to get started here.

Unfortunately, my trailer is stored outside and we're in the 5 minute warning, "oh hey, there's 2" of rain coming your way" season, so I need to have all parts on hand before I start anything.

It'd be awesome if someone in the know made a sticky in the window repair subforum that listed and described all the different options and methods when making repairs to all three types of double paned windows (vista, stack, side).