Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
lgastall's Avatar
 
1973 31' Sovereign
Hastings , UK
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 35
Ideas for making the internal vista view hole look prettier.

I’m sorry if the title made little sense but I don’t know how else to describe it.

When I got my Airstream the vista view blinds were pretty knackered so we decided to remove them. The only problem is I don’t know quite what to do with the unsightly rectangular hole in the wall.

We thought of trying to make an aluminium frame for it but because the original hole was square the new frame will have to be really fat and I think it may look a bit odd.

Has anybody else come up with any solutions?

Thank you in advance,
Lucy.
__________________

__________________
Mermitate - The Airstream that is becoming a boat.

www.mermitate.com
lgastall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgastall View Post
I’m sorry if the title made little sense but I don’t know how else to describe it.

When I got my Airstream the vista view blinds were pretty knackered so we decided to remove them. The only problem is I don’t know quite what to do with the unsightly rectangular hole in the wall.

We thought of trying to make an aluminium frame for it but because the original hole was square the new frame will have to be really fat and I think it may look a bit odd.

Has anybody else come up with any solutions?

Thank you in advance,
Lucy.
Lucy;

You can use two thicknesses of the ceiling vent cover gasket between the inner and outer shell.

If carefully done, it would look good, be permanent, and not cost much for the materials.

You could also add a curtain type shade to cover the hole to block out sun light.

You can still use the "U" shaped vinly molding for the inside shell, as Airstream originally did.

I will look into perhaps designing something else, after I return to the office, as many of those original plastic shades, unfortunately, are doing a Patsy Cline (falling to pieces).

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
Site Team
 
Aage's Avatar
 
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11,204
Images: 25
Why not use the knackered slider to make a new one, perhaps out of wood, or maybe a similar substance to that which was used originally?

After all, the original one lasted what, 37 years before you decided you didn't like it...?
__________________
“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
...John Wayne...........................
Aage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:56 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member
 
1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
You can still use the "U" shaped vinly molding for the inside shell, as Airstream originally did.

Andy
All of my vista view openings ('73 Excella) are now borderless and look very unfinished as expected. Is the vinyl molding available and is it flexible enough to fit around the corners of the openings? Also, I have only two of the "handles" that were poorly riveted to the bottom of the vista view covers. Are those handles or the extruded plastic material available?

If it ain't something, it's something else. Rosanna Rosanadana. Bless her heart. She must have owned an Airstream...
__________________
Lew TAC #WI-6
Nobody can help everybody, but everybody can help somebody.
driftless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftless View Post
All of my vista view openings ('73 Excella) are now borderless and look very unfinished as expected. Is the vinyl molding available and is it flexible enough to fit around the corners of the openings? Also, I have only two of the "handles" that were poorly riveted to the bottom of the vista view covers. Are those handles or the extruded plastic material available?

If it ain't something, it's something else. Rosanna Rosanadana. Bless her heart. She must have owned an Airstream...
The metal handles are the same as for the tambour doors.

The vinyl vista view window trim, is still available.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
funkill's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,447
Images: 27
Oh Andy -- if you could design something for this, it would be grrrrrrrrrrreat!

I have been racking my brain for ideas on the same thing. Worse yet, my sliders are so brittle & broken that the cover no longer slides up/down easily (and looks like hell when open anyway). What I just recently drafted is a flat *closeout* panel - 1/2" larger perimeter than the rectangular cutout - with an oval cut-out in the middle the same size/shape as the vista view vinyl molding. The panel would be riveted to in place to cover the original cut-out. The slider would be positioned all the way up, secured in place with a few rivets and the handle removed before securing the new panel in place. Then a rigid cover can be fit to position in the vista view - maybe made from auto reflective/foam window shade stuff - and covered with matching fabric - that would hold in place with friction or a piece of velcro.

Send me a check for $19.95 and I'll share my sketches with more details.

That's the best I've come up with - without a lot of work....

Laura
__________________

__________________
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1977 Vista View Phil Gobie Windows & Screens 8 01-20-2007 03:27 PM
Vista View broken art Windows & Screens 34 08-17-2006 07:10 PM
Vista View (port hole) Windows balrgn Windows & Screens 0 11-02-2004 07:18 AM
vista view windows tracker Windows & Screens 2 10-02-2004 02:24 PM
Need help with my Vista View window. TBKP's Overlander Windows & Screens 1 07-05-2003 08:58 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.