Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
How to replace a Stack window glass.

Hi everyone. I wanted to share with everyone how I replaced the shattered glass in my 69 Globetrotter side flat Vista stack window. I recently found a broken flat Vista stack window broken on my Globetrotter. First, I don't know how it got shattered. Could have been the kid or adult next door with BB gun or me with the weed eater on one of the very hot days we have been having.

I wanted to replace it myself because the Standard Airstream replacement I got replaced by insurance has 53 rivet holes and mine had only 27. That would mean that I would have to butcher up my Airstream body with a lot of additional holes. Replacing the glass in my original frame allowed me to use the original holes. It made it all worthwhile. I am sure you will agree.

I used a sharpe putty knife to lobe off the rivets and then gently remove window from the body of the Airstream. Next, I took the complete window to a local glass supplier to have a glass replacement made. It took 5 days but cost me $ 50.13 to produce.

After I got the new tempered glass, I pushed out the old glass using gloves. Suggestion, tape both sides of the glass if it is still lodged in the frame. It will make it easy to push out and also be alot safer too in handling. Once the glass is out, pull out the gasket and clean it with soap and water. Condition it to keep it pliable.

Next move to the glass frame, The frame is kept together by two spit pins. See in photo. I had to replace one of the two pins because it was rusted and broke as I was separating the two sides of the frame. I cleaned both sides of the frame with a putty knife, paint thinner and a wire wheel. Be careful with the wire wheel. You don't want to damage the aluminum frame.

I then took the gasket and remounted it to the glass. I applied a thin bead of Parabond to the outside top area and inside flap of the gasket. Then I carefully inserted one end of the glass into one section of the frame and gently pushed it into place. Next, I grabbed the other end of the frame and slide it over the glass and gasket pushing the two ends together. Be careful when you get both frame pieces close together. The two split pins will need to be guided into their guide holes. Once this is done, it will be easy to squeeze the frame together using a clamp. Go slow as you apply the clamp.

Once the frame is close together, move fast to clean up any excess Parabond sealer with mineral spirits.

See the results in pictures. It looks very clean and is ready to put back on camper.

If you have comments or questions ,please let me know.
Thanks,
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0550.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	134807   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0549.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	134808  

Name:	IMG_0552.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	134809   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0569.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	134810  

montanablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Alex , Oklahoma
Thanks for the good instructions. Our son just bought a 69Ambassador we pick it up this weekend. The PO just notified us someone broke the small vista window. Hope your information will help us replace the broken one. Thanks for your knowledge.
1951 Flying Cloud SS#7062
AIR #18751
CJ of Okla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
Let me know if you have questions. It really was simple to do. I would say if I had to do it again, I would do it this way in a heartbeat. For $50.31 for glass. $8 for Tempro and $8 for ParaBond, then the Olympic Rivets. That was a very economical answer. Be sure to ask the glass folks who quote you and produce the glass to save your gasket. It is easy to clean it up and resuse if in decent shape.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Rick
Old 07-20-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Alex , Oklahoma
Thanks Rick, I have cut and pasted your instructions and emailed to my son. I have also printed your information and added to my repair book in the event I have to replace one of our vista windows in our 69 31'. I love this web sight!
1951 Flying Cloud SS#7062
AIR #18751
CJ of Okla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Did the gasket look like a specialty item?

How is the glass held in the frame?

The reason I ask is that the PO put in a piece of plexiglass with a lot of sloppy caulking and i would like to fix it correctly.

Do you have a rivet shaver or did you use a dremel tool on the olympics?

Did you use butyl caulk strip or trempro where the window frame meets the body?
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Did the gasket look like a specialty item?

How is the glass held in the frame?

The reason I ask is that the PO put in a piece of plexiglass with a lot of sloppy caulking and i would like to fix it correctly.

Do you have a rivet shaver or did you use a dremel tool on the olympics?

Did you use butyl caulk strip or trempro where the window frame meets the body?
I believe I read that the gasket was not available through Airstream. That doesn't mean that there might not be an aftermarket gasket that might work. Mine was in very good shape, so I decided to reuse it.

The glass is held into the frame by the thickness of the gasket and glass in the frame. There are steps in the gasket and steps in the frame inset. When you look at it you will understand. I didn't take any close up shots of this.

The glass goes into the gasket which then slides into the aluminum frame. I slid one half of the glass with gasket into a half section with the mounting pins then slid the second half on next. I made sure the pins where lined up before squeezing them together.

I used the ParaBond in the gasket to glass. After I mounted the gasket onto the glass, I ran a small bead of ParaBond underneath the lip between the glass and gasket.

Next I coated the back side of the frame with a good bead of Tempro(Vulkum) and also applied some in each rivet hole. It sealed up nicely. I may have used too much but it cleans up with mineral spirits I think.

I didn't have a Rivet shaver. I will use a dremel or file to shave them down.

I hope that helps. here are a few pictures again to help with the visuals.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0549.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	135440   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0556.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	135441  

Name:	IMG_0553.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	135442  
Old 07-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
windows.

For future reference, Vista view windows are above an opening window and are curved.

Stack windows are below the opening windows and are flat.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:35 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
Thanks Andy. You are an expert but there are many folks that I have had conversation with that have listed them as Vista, Stack or just that small oval window on the side of the camper. I love knowing exactly what the window is called. It makes life so much easier.

Is there a way to edit the title of the thread?

Rick
Old 07-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanablue View Post
Thanks Andy. You are an expert but there are many folks that I have had conversation with that have listed them as Vista, Stack or just that small oval window on the side of the camper. I love know exactly what the window is called. It makes life so much easier.

Rick
You can PM a moderator.

They are always glad to help.

Andy
Old 07-20-2011, 12:25 PM   #10
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Done!
Old 10-21-2011, 07:10 AM   #11
Luc
2 Rivet Member

1999 19' Bambi
Cape Canaveral , Florida
Hello everyone.
I am looking for a stack window to install on the bathroom inside door to let more light in. The smaller the better, new or used.
Any idea where I can get one and how much they cost?
Thanks
Luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:38 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
Hello everyone.
I am looking for a stack window to install on the bathroom inside door to let more light in. The smaller the better, new or used.
Any idea where I can get one and how much they cost?
Thanks
A parts selling dealer can help you.

Andy
Old 06-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Springfield , Missouri
How do you install the rivets and were can I find Olympic rivets. Clecos to fasten window frames? Found broken stack window today and totally lost on this project. Neva H
NevaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevaH View Post
How do you install the rivets and were can I find Olympic rivets. Clecos to fasten window frames? Found broken stack window today and totally lost on this project. Neva H
You don'y need any Cleco's.

All you need is a package of Olympic, a tube of vulkem sealer, a medium stack window and a # 30 and a # 21 drill bit.

Those parts are always stocked.

Andy
Old 07-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Springfield , Missouri
rivet tools for reattaching stack window

We have replaced the glass in our broken stack window and are ready to put it back onto our 1970 Airstream. I have ordered Olympic Rivets and a rivet gun from Inland RV in Corona CA. However we need to find a rivet shaver. I have called Home Depot and Lowes as well as looking on the Grizzly and Harbor Freight websites. Home Depot found me a tool to order for over $200. I heard there was a drimmel tool called a rivet shaver. Any ideas where to find an affordable way to polish the Olympic rivets after we get them installed with the rivet tool? We want them to match and look good.
NevaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
Yes, contact Out the Door Mart, Colfax, NC. They will rent you one for the cost of the shaver. When it is returned you all but a small portion back. Otherwise you can use a file and round them off, but be careful.
Rick
Old 08-11-2018, 04:36 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Greer , SC
1974 International Land Yacht Sovereign. 31 foot.
Thanks for the info! I was wondering if the windows below was curved or flat.

However, now I have a few questions.
1. Where can I go to to get this cut out for me?
2. I know I can get regular glass, but that would break and shatter easily, what type of glass would I need to get?
3. I see you have double pane like I do. If you take them apart, and put them back together, how did you clean them? Soap and water?
4. Before putting them together did you put anything on them? Like some sort of fog prevention spray?

Thank you!
orozcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:59 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Jacksonville , North Carolina
Quote:
Next move to the glass frame, The frame is kept together by two spit pins. See in photo. I had to replace one of the two pins because it was rusted and broke as I was separating the two sides of the frame.
Rick, where did you pick up the pins?
PlaneDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:24 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
I reused the original pins.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:35 PM   #20
apogue

1974 31' Sovereign
Williams , AZ
This is amazing! I am wanting to do the same, but am having trouble removing the two-piece aluminum frame around the edge of the glass. Can I ask for more detail on how you separated the pieces?
Obipogue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
globetrotter, vista, window