Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-09-2013, 12:46 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
 
groovzilla's Avatar
 
1966 20' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 197
How to remove just the interior pane of vista view windows??

all,

my 77 31' sovereign has the usual flaked off uv covering inside the double pane vista view windows and looks horrible - all 4 are like this.

i've searched the forum but can't find a specific topic regarding whether the interior piece of glass(pane) can be removed so i can clean them?

any help appreciated.
__________________

__________________
groovzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:49 AM   #2
Top
Always learning
 
Top's Avatar
 
1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,779
Images: 24
Blog Entries: 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Here is one way
Removing the Inner Pane of Vista View Windows
__________________

__________________
Lance

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
Moderator
 
HiHoAgRV's Avatar

 
1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,326
Images: 29
Blog Entries: 49
On a '77, the inner pane can't be removed without 1) drilling out the entire window frame and taking it apart or 2) busting the inner pane and rigging some stuff to hold the outer one back in the right spot.

There are several old threads on this, danged if I can find them right now...
__________________
Hi Ho Silver RV! Vernon, Sarah, Mac the Border Collie -
A honkin' long 34' named AlumaTherapy http://www.airforums.com/forums/f205...num-54749.html
and a 26' '63 Overlander, Dolly http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...ome-71609.html
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
Aviator's Avatar

 
1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,655
Images: 2
I tried drilling a relief hole in the inner pane with a diamond bit for glass, but it still shattered. Once that happened, I removed the broken glass and will apply a solid bead of vulkum to the inside of the outer pane.
__________________
Craig and Carol
1997 34' Excella 1000
1970 27' Overlander, International
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
mariusg78's Avatar
 
1977 31' Sovereign
Covington , Washington
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 60
Images: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
I tried drilling a relief hole in the inner pane with a diamond bit for glass, but it still shattered. Once that happened, I removed the broken glass and will apply a solid bead of vulkum to the inside of the outer pane.
I ended up breaking all interior panes (on purpose), cleaned and sealed the exterior glass. Once you remove the inside glass, there will be a loss of pressure against the outside and it is very important to seal it on the outside. I had ran out of time one day and it ended up raining heavily that night. It looked as if someone had opened the windows that evening due to the leaks formed.
It ended up looking much better after that....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-10-27 15.13.14.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	201515   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-11-03 15.27.23.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	201516  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-11-03 15.27.38.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	201517  
__________________
mariusg78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
Lumatic's Avatar

 
1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,642
Images: 16
Blog Entries: 1
The easy way is crack the glass inner pane with a spring loaded center punch. If you like living on the edge you could use a hammer but risk breaking both panes.

If you want to salvage both panes. drill out the frame rivets, remove the window, and separate the 2 parts of the frame. Use butyl to keep the space between the panes when reassembling. You probably won't be able to reuse the gasket and they are no longer available, but you can use Vulkem to replace the gasket. And yes it takes a lot of time..
__________________
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
shebeen's Avatar
 
1975 29' Ambassador
1995 31' Land Yacht LE
Southwest , New Hampshire
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 31
On my '75 the inners are plastic, probably Lexan I assume. My plan was to drill a hole and just run around the radius with a Dremel tool.

Good idea?
Bad idea?
__________________
shebeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
adonh's Avatar

 
1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,233
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovzilla View Post
all,

my 77 31' sovereign has the usual flaked off uv covering inside the double pane vista view windows and looks horrible - all 4 are like this.

i've searched the forum but can't find a specific topic regarding whether the interior piece of glass(pane) can be removed so i can clean them?

any help appreciated.
Here is an old response from Can-Am RV http://www.canamrv.com/index.php on working with Vista View windows.

From Can-Am RV - date unknown

Glad to be of assistance. We have been fixing these windows using this
method for about 15 years with good success and no leaks.

We have had a gasket material custom made to fill the space in the frame
when the inner glass is removed. This material costs $3.00 Canadian or
$2.00 U.S. per foot to purchase if you would like some you can order it
from Sandy (parts@can- am-rv.com or 800 709 2931) and have it shipped
UPS. You need the smaller size for snap ring windows and the larger for
windows without the snap ring on the inside.

All of this is done without removing the aluminium frame from the
trailer thereby not disturbing the original caulking where the frame
fastens to the trailer shell.

WEAR SAFETY GLASSES AND GLOVES. It does not happen very often but every
once in a while one of the outer safety glasses explodes, it will throw
glass 100' if it does.

1972:
The first year Double Pane Vista View Windows were available was 1972
and these trailers actually had a plastic inner pane with its own frame.
So on a 72 you can remove the inner vista view pane and just clean off
the damaged tint on the inside of the outer pane. It is quit simple and
the finished product looks good.

Snap ring windows; 1973 & 1974 a few early 75's

These windows have an aluminium snap ring on the inside which is fairly
easy to remove. Once it is out you can pry out the plastic inner pane
and start cleaning out the caulking around the edges eventually you will
be able to push the outer pane through to the inside and remove it
completely.

Clean the inside of the frame out completely and wipe it with a solvent
so that it is totally clean, make certain that the solvent does not run
down the outside of the unit and damage the lacquer. Next clean the
glass off completely (you can remove the remains of the old tint with a
razor blade) and wipe it off with a solvent such as lacquer thinner as
well.

Coat all of the inside surfaces of the window frame with about a 1/8"
thick layer of silver silicone sealant. Take the clean glass and push
it into the silicone and then push in the rubber gasket(smaller size)
that will take up the extra space in the frame. Then all that is
necessary is to clean off the excess silicone on the inside and out and
let the remainder harden. The trailer should be kept dry for 6 hours
and not be towed for 48 hours.

1975-1984 Non Snap Ring Windows - Glass Inner Pane.

These windows are the most difficult to do. The inner pane is glass set
in the gooiest caulking you have ever seen. First you need to break the
inner pane with a hammer and a screw driver near the edge, don't go
through and break the outer pane. The larger chunks of glass in the
middle will drop out easily but the small shards of glass stuck in the
caulking need to be pulled out one at a time with pliers.

There is a soft plastic moulding in the frame that goes from the outside
of the outer pane through to the inside of the frame, you will see a lip
of it on between the outer frame and the glass. Cut the lip off of the
outside by running a sharp knife all around the inside edge of the
frame. Then it you grab the moulding on the inside with pliers you can
pull it out of the frame with the last of the glass pieces and the gooey
caulking.

Unlike the snap ring windows the outer glass will not come out through
the inside frame so you need to clean the glass and the frame with it in
there loose. Clean the inside of the frame out completely and wipe it
with a solvent so that it is totally clean, make certain that the
solvent does not run down the outside of the unit and damage the
lacquer. Next clean the glass off completely (you can remove the
remains of the old tint with a razor blade) and wipe it off with a
solvent such as lacquer thinner as well.

Coat all of the inside surfaces of the window frame with about a 1/8"
thick layer of silver silicone sealant. Take the clean glass and push
it into the silicone and then push in the rubber gasket (larger size)
that will take up the extra space in the frame. Then all that is
necessary is to clean off the excess silicone on the inside and out and
let the remainder harden. The trailer should be kept dry for 6 hours
and not be towed for 48 hours.


There you have it. It is not a job for the faint hearted but it is more
tedious than difficult. When it is done with the rubber gasket in place
it looks professional, like the factory made it that way. If you do not
wish to attempt the operation yourself we can do it for you here at
Can-Am but the labor can add up if you have several windows to do.
__________________
Don Hardman
1976 31' Sovereign
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
Aviator's Avatar

 
1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,655
Images: 2
Not a bad idea. Just make sure you use the depth collar attachment to ensure that you DON'T make contact with the outer pane.
__________________
Craig and Carol
1997 34' Excella 1000
1970 27' Overlander, International
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:36 AM   #10
Rivet Monster
 
wahoonc's Avatar

 
1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,174
Images: 40
I covered my inners with duct tape prior to using a the spring loaded center punch. There are a few pictures in my Album I used some hose to force the pane back against the frame. I did manage to break one of the outer panes, so had to replace the entire Vista View with a new single pane unit. It leaked from the factory, so I had to recaulk the glass on it too.

Aaron
__________________
....so many Airstreams....so little time...
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:51 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member
 
groovzilla's Avatar
 
1966 20' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 197
when i get to the window i'll use the duct tape method.

thanks everyone for the great info
__________________
groovzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:18 PM   #12
New Member
 
1975 31' Sovereign
Olalla , Washington
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4
CanAM RV - Buyer Beware

I'm in the midst of this project right now, and I found these instructions to be very helpful. A word of warning, though, if you are in the US and you order this gasket material from CanAm RV, expect to pay exorbitant taxes and shipping fees. While dealing with them during the ordering process, they could never quote me a price for shipping and handling. After the order was processed, they sent me a copy of the receipt showing taxes over $30 on a $300 order. I assumed it was going to be high, so I figured I'd just bite the bullet. I also assumed that I must not be getting charged for shipping, since that was not showing on the receipt. Surprise! When UPS showed up today, there was a C.O.D. amount of $35 for shipping that I had to pay in order to receive said goods. As far as I can tell, CanAm is the only place to buy this material, but it sure would be nice if there was a supplier in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Here is an old response from Can-Am RV Can Am RV | Headingley, MB CANADA | RV Sales, Rentals & Service | The Leaders in RV Sales,and Service on working with Vista View windows.

From Can-Am RV - date unknown

Glad to be of assistance. We have been fixing these windows using this
method for about 15 years with good success and no leaks.

We have had a gasket material custom made to fill the space in the frame
when the inner glass is removed. This material costs $3.00 Canadian or
$2.00 U.S. per foot to purchase if you would like some you can order it
from Sandy (parts@can- am-rv.com or 800 709 2931) and have it shipped
UPS. You need the smaller size for snap ring windows and the larger for
windows without the snap ring on the inside.

All of this is done without removing the aluminium frame from the
trailer thereby not disturbing the original caulking where the frame
fastens to the trailer shell.

WEAR SAFETY GLASSES AND GLOVES. It does not happen very often but every
once in a while one of the outer safety glasses explodes, it will throw
glass 100' if it does.

1972:
The first year Double Pane Vista View Windows were available was 1972
and these trailers actually had a plastic inner pane with its own frame.
So on a 72 you can remove the inner vista view pane and just clean off
the damaged tint on the inside of the outer pane. It is quit simple and
the finished product looks good.

Snap ring windows; 1973 & 1974 a few early 75's

These windows have an aluminium snap ring on the inside which is fairly
easy to remove. Once it is out you can pry out the plastic inner pane
and start cleaning out the caulking around the edges eventually you will
be able to push the outer pane through to the inside and remove it
completely.

Clean the inside of the frame out completely and wipe it with a solvent
so that it is totally clean, make certain that the solvent does not run
down the outside of the unit and damage the lacquer. Next clean the
glass off completely (you can remove the remains of the old tint with a
razor blade) and wipe it off with a solvent such as lacquer thinner as
well.

Coat all of the inside surfaces of the window frame with about a 1/8"
thick layer of silver silicone sealant. Take the clean glass and push
it into the silicone and then push in the rubber gasket(smaller size)
that will take up the extra space in the frame. Then all that is
necessary is to clean off the excess silicone on the inside and out and
let the remainder harden. The trailer should be kept dry for 6 hours
and not be towed for 48 hours.

1975-1984 Non Snap Ring Windows - Glass Inner Pane.

These windows are the most difficult to do. The inner pane is glass set
in the gooiest caulking you have ever seen. First you need to break the
inner pane with a hammer and a screw driver near the edge, don't go
through and break the outer pane. The larger chunks of glass in the
middle will drop out easily but the small shards of glass stuck in the
caulking need to be pulled out one at a time with pliers.

There is a soft plastic moulding in the frame that goes from the outside
of the outer pane through to the inside of the frame, you will see a lip
of it on between the outer frame and the glass. Cut the lip off of the
outside by running a sharp knife all around the inside edge of the
frame. Then it you grab the moulding on the inside with pliers you can
pull it out of the frame with the last of the glass pieces and the gooey
caulking.

Unlike the snap ring windows the outer glass will not come out through
the inside frame so you need to clean the glass and the frame with it in
there loose. Clean the inside of the frame out completely and wipe it
with a solvent so that it is totally clean, make certain that the
solvent does not run down the outside of the unit and damage the
lacquer. Next clean the glass off completely (you can remove the
remains of the old tint with a razor blade) and wipe it off with a
solvent such as lacquer thinner as well.

Coat all of the inside surfaces of the window frame with about a 1/8"
thick layer of silver silicone sealant. Take the clean glass and push
it into the silicone and then push in the rubber gasket (larger size)
that will take up the extra space in the frame. Then all that is
necessary is to clean off the excess silicone on the inside and out and
let the remainder harden. The trailer should be kept dry for 6 hours
and not be towed for 48 hours.


There you have it. It is not a job for the faint hearted but it is more
tedious than difficult. When it is done with the rubber gasket in place
it looks professional, like the factory made it that way. If you do not
wish to attempt the operation yourself we can do it for you here at
Can-Am but the labor can add up if you have several windows to do.
__________________
swirkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:15 PM   #13
New Member
 
1975 31' Sovereign
Olalla , Washington
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4
I just took another look at my receipt and realized they did indeed charge me shipping charges of $50!!! So, all in all, I paid $110 for shipping and taxes on a $150 order. I guess a fool and his money are soon parted. I hope someone can find an American source for this stuff. Its just a very simple, black rubber strip of material and the box was light and about the size of a shoebox.
__________________
swirkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:52 PM   #14
Rivet Master
 
Mixter's Avatar
 
1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 796
I did this too. Havent tackled the project yet, but after ALOT of reading to try and figure the solution that is right for me, I liked this method. I did not have the same experience with shipping fees though... I just purchased mine in January. I got enough for 2 Vistas at $4.88 per foot, (15 ft) plus $22 shipping. Here's the 1st email I got from my initial inquiry:

Hi Micky,

The part# for that gasket is 825344

It is $4.88/FT plus tax and shipping. I have lots in stock


Thanks,

Ian Gooder
Parts Manager
Can-Am RV Centre
6068 Colonel Talbot Road
London, ON
N6P 1R1
P: 519-652-3284
Can-Am RV Centre | #1 Airstream Dealer in Customer Satisfaction Worldwide | Your Full-Service RV Dealer




Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Here is an old response from Can-Am RV Can Am RV | Headingley, MB CANADA | RV Sales, Rentals & Service | The Leaders in RV Sales,and Service on working with Vista View windows.

From Can-Am RV - date unknown

Glad to be of assistance. We have been fixing these windows using this
method for about 15 years with good success and no leaks.

We have had a gasket material custom made to fill the space in the frame
when the inner glass is removed. This material costs $3.00 Canadian or
$2.00 U.S. per foot to purchase if you would like some you can order it
from Sandy (parts@can- am-rv.com or 800 709 2931) and have it shipped
UPS. You need the smaller size for snap ring windows and the larger for
windows without the snap ring on the inside.

All of this is done without removing the aluminium frame from the
trailer thereby not disturbing the original caulking where the frame
fastens to the trailer shell.

WEAR SAFETY GLASSES AND GLOVES. It does not happen very often but every
once in a while one of the outer safety glasses explodes, it will throw
glass 100' if it does.

1972:
The first year Double Pane Vista View Windows were available was 1972
and these trailers actually had a plastic inner pane with its own frame.
So on a 72 you can remove the inner vista view pane and just clean off
the damaged tint on the inside of the outer pane. It is quit simple and
the finished product looks good.

Snap ring windows; 1973 & 1974 a few early 75's

These windows have an aluminium snap ring on the inside which is fairly
easy to remove. Once it is out you can pry out the plastic inner pane
and start cleaning out the caulking around the edges eventually you will
be able to push the outer pane through to the inside and remove it
completely.

Clean the inside of the frame out completely and wipe it with a solvent
so that it is totally clean, make certain that the solvent does not run
down the outside of the unit and damage the lacquer. Next clean the
glass off completely (you can remove the remains of the old tint with a
razor blade) and wipe it off with a solvent such as lacquer thinner as
well.

Coat all of the inside surfaces of the window frame with about a 1/8"
thick layer of silver silicone sealant. Take the clean glass and push
it into the silicone and then push in the rubber gasket(smaller size)
that will take up the extra space in the frame. Then all that is
necessary is to clean off the excess silicone on the inside and out and
let the remainder harden. The trailer should be kept dry for 6 hours
and not be towed for 48 hours.

1975-1984 Non Snap Ring Windows - Glass Inner Pane.

These windows are the most difficult to do. The inner pane is glass set
in the gooiest caulking you have ever seen. First you need to break the
inner pane with a hammer and a screw driver near the edge, don't go
through and break the outer pane. The larger chunks of glass in the
middle will drop out easily but the small shards of glass stuck in the
caulking need to be pulled out one at a time with pliers.

There is a soft plastic moulding in the frame that goes from the outside
of the outer pane through to the inside of the frame, you will see a lip
of it on between the outer frame and the glass. Cut the lip off of the
outside by running a sharp knife all around the inside edge of the
frame. Then it you grab the moulding on the inside with pliers you can
pull it out of the frame with the last of the glass pieces and the gooey
caulking.

Unlike the snap ring windows the outer glass will not come out through
the inside frame so you need to clean the glass and the frame with it in
there loose. Clean the inside of the frame out completely and wipe it
with a solvent so that it is totally clean, make certain that the
solvent does not run down the outside of the unit and damage the
lacquer. Next clean the glass off completely (you can remove the
remains of the old tint with a razor blade) and wipe it off with a
solvent such as lacquer thinner as well.

Coat all of the inside surfaces of the window frame with about a 1/8"
thick layer of silver silicone sealant. Take the clean glass and push
it into the silicone and then push in the rubber gasket (larger size)
that will take up the extra space in the frame. Then all that is
necessary is to clean off the excess silicone on the inside and out and
let the remainder harden. The trailer should be kept dry for 6 hours
and not be towed for 48 hours.


There you have it. It is not a job for the faint hearted but it is more
tedious than difficult. When it is done with the rubber gasket in place
it looks professional, like the factory made it that way. If you do not
wish to attempt the operation yourself we can do it for you here at
Can-Am but the labor can add up if you have several windows to do.
__________________

__________________
Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacing windows in 1967 Overlander MAbdala Windows & Screens 12 05-15-2015 06:46 PM
Vista Windows a practical way to film removal? VeggieBullet Windows & Screens 2 12-03-2011 04:26 PM
Adding Larger Windows 1974 31ft ?? YohnYoe Windows & Screens 4 11-27-2011 12:42 PM
How to remove slip hub / flange 1970 3/4 bath silversafari Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes 2 02-27-2011 08:40 AM
Temporary Seal for Vista views AluminumGirl Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants 3 01-08-2011 12:06 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.