Old 04-12-2008, 10:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Ogden , Utah
How snug is a Rock Guard supposed to fit?

We finally saw a spring day in Utah today, and I took the opportunity to install the new 1 pc. rock guard I purchased from Inland several weeks ago. I screwed on the support brackets, slid the guard onto them, and lined the top of the hinge with the bottom of the AIRSTREAM letters. The bottom corners line up perfectly with the window frame, but the top corners are 1.5" from the surface of each upper window frame corner.
I initially was going to send a PM to Andy regarding this, but I thought someone else might benefit from this info as well.
For those of you who have installed these before, I have a couple of questions:
1. Should the guard have come with double sided tape? The instructions mention "sticky tape", but I couldn't find any with my shipment. If so, what is the thickness I should use.
2. Am I correct in assuming that the top edge of the hinge rest just below the AIRSTREAM letters and I am to drill into the skin and not the window frame when attaching the hinge?
3. If I attach the hinge, should I simply "tweak" the top corners of the guard's frame so that the weather seal compresses snugly like the bottom corners?
Here are some pictures to better illustrate what I am dealing with:
Flickr: Photos & Video from Mac Aodhagain
Thanks in advance,
Brandon

Old 04-12-2008, 10:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
that is pretty much the same we ran into. We used buetall tape and vulkem to seal up the hinge etc. Guessing instructions were probably from a different production run or something. Also since the unit is designed to fit a large year range, it probably wasn't supposed to fit that tight. Ours does on the flat area but has a gap on the wing windows a little. Figured it wasn't meant to be weather tight, but rather that padded material was to keep the guard from damaging the the trailer as it flexs. I imagine when going 60 mph down the road that thing will flex pretty tight shut.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:24 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Ogden , Utah
That's what I was afraid of. As it is it will do the job of protecting the wing windows and windshield from rocks, but I don't like the idea of water, snow, ice, etc. collecting at the bottom where there is a good seal.