Old 07-07-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Burlington , Kentucky
How do you separate the front double pane wing window

The front windows of our 72 Safari need to be seperated cleaned, new gasket. Do the side windows have to be removed to be worked on? One of the side windows has a broken inner pane. THere are screws around the frame that snap when trying to remove. I was at Airstream last week and was told that I could replace them with new tinted single pane woidow. IF I can't get replacement piece of glass I thought about just breaking the other inner window and clean it up....Not the best idea....but very cost effective since th new ones are single pane...

attached pic....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020363.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	162626  

Old 07-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
You don't separate them. You buy a new one, or a good used one. They are not repairable, and no parts are available to repair them.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnw View Post
The front windows of our 72 Safari need to be seperated cleaned, new gasket. Do the side windows have to be removed to be worked on? One of the side windows has a broken inner pane. THere are screws around the frame that snap when trying to remove. I was at Airstream last week and was told that I could replace them with new tinted single pane woidow. IF I can't get replacement piece of glass I thought about just breaking the other inner window and clean it up....Not the best idea....but very cost effective since th new ones are single pane...

attached pic....
No, you cannot get "just the piece of glass".

As you already learned, complete wing windows are available, with either clear or tinted glass.

The clear glass version, is considerably cheaper than the tinted unit.

Andy
Old 07-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Burlington , Kentucky
Thanks!!!!

Thanks Guys!!!!
Was there a reason for the double pane back then and not now? WHen I talked to the folks at airstream last week they indicated that I would need to replace wih the updated version that was NOT double pane....
Bruce
Old 07-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Thanks Guys!!!!
Was there a reason for the double pane back then and not now? WHen I talked to the folks at airstream last week they indicated that I would need to replace wih the updated version that was NOT double pane....
Bruce
I think double pane was an idea that was used in the intent of energy conservation, but the double pane windows didn't work out as well as they would have liked. I know that my AS is by no means energy efficient, you have to cool and heat it by BTF (Brute Thermal Force) rather than BTU's.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I think double pane was an idea that was used in the intent of energy conservation, but the double pane windows didn't work out as well as they would have liked. I know that my AS is by no means energy efficient, you have to cool and heat it by BTF (Brute Thermal Force) rather than BTU's.

Aaron
So how many tons of dry ice does it take to cool an Excella?
Old 07-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
We fixed ours

Quote:

attached pic....
We had the same issues with all of our windows on the Albatross (1976 31' Sovereign) and ended up taking them all out and rebuilding them as single panes. They look much, much better but I have to admit I was sweating the wing windows when we pulled them out. Now I need to get a window protector so we don't break one once we make it roadworthy. Go slow and take your time.
Sandy
Old 07-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63

So how many tons of dry ice does it take to cool an Excella?
How much will fit? Lol!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:59 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
ft myers , Florida
I am looking for the gasket material to go from a double pane to a single 1976 31' long. Jack