Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2007, 08:03 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Rtv

JUst wondering.... Nobody likes RTV for window installs? It seems to like to stick to aluminum and glass. If someone knows why it is not a good idea, I would like to know. Really, I won't be bent if I'm wrong about this.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:40 PM   #22
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitzwhopper
JUst wondering.... Nobody likes RTV for window installs? It seems to like to stick to aluminum and glass. If someone knows why it is not a good idea, I would like to know. Really, I won't be bent if I'm wrong about this.
According to the installation tips on VTS:
“In all cases, the glass is held in place using a sealant or adhesive bedding tape in the groove of the glass bar. The original sealant used was Dow Silastic RTV-732. It is still available, although other sealants may work as well or better than the original.”

I used 3M silicon weatherstrip adhesive simply because it was available from my local hardware and it seems to be doing a fine job so far.

Also on the VTS site:
“Most of our customers simply use silicone RTV sealant instead of tape.”

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:30 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
I absolutely would not use double sided tape for the heavier glass. I think Andy was just posting info on the originals, but I'll let him speak for himself if he sees fit. One very important thing on replacing these windows is to clean out the groove where the top of the window pane fits as much as possible. Leaving old glue or tape residue will not allow the new window panes to seat snugly.
We have used the 1/16" double sided tape for years. NO FAILURES.

As with anything, use the proper materials. Proper materials are not to be found at K-Mart, as all to many owners find out the hard way.

There is industial (very good) double side tape to hardware store junk that is available.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:54 PM   #24
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
We have used the 1/16" double sided tape for years. NO FAILURES.
As with anything, use the proper materials. Proper materials are not to be found at K-Mart, as all to many owners find out the hard way.
There is industial (very good) double side tape to hardware store junk that is available.
Andy
Andy, I’m not questioning your judgement on proper replacement procedure for the original windows. The question on this thread is about the heavier and thicker replacement windows from VTS falling out possibly due to hot temps. My personal opinion is that the windows fell out because a tar-based adhesive was used rather than the recommended silicon adhesives. If you are saying that double-sided 1/16” thick industrial tape is ok to use on the non-original 1/8” thick VTS windows, I bow to your expertise.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:19 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
Andy, I’m not questioning your judgement on proper replacement procedure for the original windows. The question on this thread is about the heavier and thicker replacement windows from VTS falling out possibly due to hot temps. My personal opinion is that the windows fell out because a tar-based adhesive was used rather than the recommended silicon adhesives. If you are saying that double-sided 1/16” thick industrial tape is ok to use on the non-original 1/8” thick VTS windows, I bow to your expertise.
Our replacement windows are heavier too.

The double sided tape is the best for the 67 and 68 models.

Unfortunately, silicone sealer is the only (and original) option, for the 66 models.

Mounting a 66-67-68 window in the hinge with a tar based anything, is a joke.
Of course it softens with heat, and then what?? The glass will fall out, but of course!!!

Unfortunately, you found out the hard way.

Some newcomers to Airstreaming have great ideas about how to, etc., that can be misleading sometimes.

The proof in the pudding, is always the long haul performance.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote