Old 05-13-2007, 08:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Donna/Mike,

Is Dow Corning RTV-732 the same stuff your talking about?? If so that is what is call out in the maintenance guide. It would be cool if it is the same.

AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 10:19 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Sometimes Permatex 66b sometimes Devcon products and sometimes Dow Corning products. I go to my specialty mechanics and they give me the prescription. I am inclined to find the most permanent and rigid solution. They recommend something that does the job but isn't overkill. I was going to epoxy the windows in my car and my advisors reminded me that I might want to replace it someday. Hence the RTV. It sounds like a medium performance RTV like a Permatex 66b would be adequate. However, I havent seen it in large tubes.

Hope this helps.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 02:40 PM   #17
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Talking

Since my wife doesn't take part in the forums, I guess I can tell where I found a source for a plastic inner surround for the AS window. This morning, I bicycled up to the hardware store and searched in vein for anything. Even went through their supplier catalogs and found zilch.

So I rode back home and decided to work on something else, namely, our newly repaired bulletin board cover, which I'd stored for the winter in Maria's storage room. Went in there to fetch it -- and noticed a thing she'd bought to mount posters. It's a big piece of cardboard with a thin plexiglass cover, and with nice, plastic surrounds to hold the whole business together. Ah! So I pulled off one of the surrounds, snuck it past my wife to the garage, and measured it with the calipers: Exactly 1/8th inch.

Lynn
Old 05-21-2007, 03:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
Ok, that's the story. Please let me know your ideas!!

Lynn

PS: This is only the first of the problems we had with the Airstream on this trip! I'll explain others in separate posts.
Lynn.

1966 windows are held in place with "silicone sealer."

1967 and 1968 windows are held in place with "double sided" tape.

Andy
Old 05-21-2007, 08:35 PM   #19
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Lynn.
1966 windows are held in place with "silicone sealer."
1967 and 1968 windows are held in place with "double sided" tape.
Andy
Double sided tape? Boy, I hope that is strong stuff, because the new glass windows that the folks at Vintage are supplying are heavy things!

Lynnnnnnnnnnnn
Old 05-21-2007, 09:21 PM   #20
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
I absolutely would not use double sided tape for the heavier glass. I think Andy was just posting info on the originals, but I'll let him speak for himself if he sees fit. One very important thing on replacing these windows is to clean out the groove where the top of the window pane fits as much as possible. Leaving old glue or tape residue will not allow the new window panes to seat snugly.

May you camp where wind wont hit you, where snakes wont bite and bears wont git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:03 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Rtv

JUst wondering.... Nobody likes RTV for window installs? It seems to like to stick to aluminum and glass. If someone knows why it is not a good idea, I would like to know. Really, I won't be bent if I'm wrong about this.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:40 PM   #22
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitzwhopper
JUst wondering.... Nobody likes RTV for window installs? It seems to like to stick to aluminum and glass. If someone knows why it is not a good idea, I would like to know. Really, I won't be bent if I'm wrong about this.
According to the installation tips on VTS:
In all cases, the glass is held in place using a sealant or adhesive bedding tape in the groove of the glass bar. The original sealant used was Dow Silastic RTV-732. It is still available, although other sealants may work as well or better than the original.

I used 3M silicon weatherstrip adhesive simply because it was available from my local hardware and it seems to be doing a fine job so far.

Also on the VTS site:
Most of our customers simply use silicone RTV sealant instead of tape.

May you camp where wind wont hit you, where snakes wont bite and bears wont git you.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:30 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
I absolutely would not use double sided tape for the heavier glass. I think Andy was just posting info on the originals, but I'll let him speak for himself if he sees fit. One very important thing on replacing these windows is to clean out the groove where the top of the window pane fits as much as possible. Leaving old glue or tape residue will not allow the new window panes to seat snugly.
We have used the 1/16" double sided tape for years. NO FAILURES.

As with anything, use the proper materials. Proper materials are not to be found at K-Mart, as all to many owners find out the hard way.

There is industial (very good) double side tape to hardware store junk that is available.

Andy
Old 05-22-2007, 06:54 PM   #24
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
We have used the 1/16" double sided tape for years. NO FAILURES.
As with anything, use the proper materials. Proper materials are not to be found at K-Mart, as all to many owners find out the hard way.
There is industial (very good) double side tape to hardware store junk that is available.
Andy
Andy, Im not questioning your judgement on proper replacement procedure for the original windows. The question on this thread is about the heavier and thicker replacement windows from VTS falling out possibly due to hot temps. My personal opinion is that the windows fell out because a tar-based adhesive was used rather than the recommended silicon adhesives. If you are saying that double-sided 1/16 thick industrial tape is ok to use on the non-original 1/8 thick VTS windows, I bow to your expertise.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:19 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
Andy, Im not questioning your judgement on proper replacement procedure for the original windows. The question on this thread is about the heavier and thicker replacement windows from VTS falling out possibly due to hot temps. My personal opinion is that the windows fell out because a tar-based adhesive was used rather than the recommended silicon adhesives. If you are saying that double-sided 1/16 thick industrial tape is ok to use on the non-original 1/8 thick VTS windows, I bow to your expertise.
Our replacement windows are heavier too.

The double sided tape is the best for the 67 and 68 models.

Unfortunately, silicone sealer is the only (and original) option, for the 66 models.

Mounting a 66-67-68 window in the hinge with a tar based anything, is a joke.
Of course it softens with heat, and then what?? The glass will fall out, but of course!!!

Unfortunately, you found out the hard way.

Some newcomers to Airstreaming have great ideas about how to, etc., that can be misleading sometimes.

The proof in the pudding, is always the long haul performance.

Andy