Old 09-21-2016, 05:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1965 20' Globetrotter
Fairfield , Connecticut
Herr glazing strip

Greetings, I need to replace all the glazing strips on my 65 Globetrotter. I have
purchased the appropriate herr plastic strips from Vintage trailer supply. The first window was the front. I used lexan to replace broken glass. With great difficulty I was able to beat the herr strip into space in about 2 hours. The second one was small street side window with original glass. After removal, cleaning and gasket replacement i attempted to tap glazing in with hands and then rubber mallet. the result was broken glass. Is there a technique that I dont see to this? I have had a tool in my hand every day for the last 40 years and yet find this a mystery. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Jim

JLGT5107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:14 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
It's actually Hehr isn't it?

Maybe a little silicone spray to help it slide into place?

SeaLevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts

We met in my Caravel in Milford, Ct.

I don't have the links handy, but Mary in VA and Frank in Baltimore had great threads on doing windows. I do have one followup comment -- the VTS silicone shrinks a lot over time. Be sure you don't stretch it.

Hope all is well. We're now in Western Mass.

65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:57 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I was able to replace my glazing strips by pressing them in with my thumbs, along with some aggressive twisting of the strips. It wasn't easy. As I recall, the window originally had 1/8" glass. My front window had been replaced with 3/16". It was VERY difficult to get the strips in place on the thicker glass. Don't quote me on the glass thickness', but the thicker one was awful. I used a heat gun on some of them. That made the strips go into place much easier, but it distorted the strips and they haven't held over time. So I now have to replace the ones that I used the heat gun on. I won't do that again.

Indeed, they have shrunk over time. Some of them by about 1/8". So cut them a bit long if you can.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
It's actually Hehr isn't it?

Could be Herr Heinrich Glazing-Strippe ;-)
Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:52 PM   #6
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
I wrote about my experience here I included a link to Frank's instructions.

One thing I noted was the track that the strip fits into must be absolutely spotless, the slightest bit of debris makes it impossible. The grouting tool I used did help.
Shelly : TAC NH-6 | AIR 41359
Visit my blog!
Parts needed : Braund Antenna front tube fold down model!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:53 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
1965 20' Globetrotter
Fairfield , Connecticut
Thanks all for your input. I am wondering if the shrinkage you report might suggest may effect the cross section of plastic extrusion causing the bottom flat section to raise up. This makes it difficult to engage in the alluminum extrusion. I wonder also if the plastic extrusion stiffens as it sits on the shelf. I am entertaining the idea of glazing with traditional window glazing putty. It has good adhesion,water resistance, and is easily replaced or repaired. Herr, Hehr or whatever I am pulling my Hair out with this project. Regards, Jim

JLGT5107 is offline   Reply With Quote