Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2016, 12:45 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Kalama , Washington
Not sure how talc powder behaves when wet, so some testing before applying to window seals might be prudent. On windows that are stuck (not extreme heat welded to seals), sometimes a little outward pressure applied when operating the handles helps. Do this by rotating the latches so that the locking arms press against the window frame. Lots of good uses for silicone… window seals surely one of them .
nwclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:06 PM   #22
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
They both work.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:27 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
So... you wanted BIG windows... and now this happens.

If off onto dusty roads... be careful with the timing of what might adhere between your window and rubber. Not a stinking mess, but a dusty crust and grit to grind into your window glass edges, after closing, and then vibrating down the highways for six hours with the silicone/grit polishing compound you made possible.

The credit card works, but if you have no credit... something that can slide between the glass and gasket not tearing it made of plastic. You can also open the window from the outside and set the two window rods into their slots. Just have to set them inside to open...

Finger nails. Only if you want to loose them.

Be patient. Work both edges so not to break the window. You wanted big windows and this is your punishment. I liked the small crank vents on our 2006 23 footer. I just do not spend that much time in my trailer. I can sit inside at home all I want and look out of the window without all of this grief.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:34 PM   #24
cac
1 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Tehachapi , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FollySteve View Post
Window poppers are another great solution. Even with silicon, ours are still hard to open and these work great to break the seal. Not sure if they fit older Airstreams. Might want to check before ordering.

http://www.seeyoudowntheroad.com/window-poppers/
I had Window Poppers installed on my 20' Flying Cloud, and can't wait to get them for the new 26U. They made opening windows EASY, even in rain! : )
cac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:41 PM   #25
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Texas Airstream Harbor , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to beachbouy
Which is better the 303 (30324) Rubber Seal Protectant or the 303 (30305) Aerospace Protectant?
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International 30 w/Goodyear Endurance, Equalizer 1000, pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.42 axle, 8 speed auto WBCCI #6111

beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:47 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Silicone spray works well on window seals, door locks and just about anything else you don't want to paint. NAPA has a tube of silicone paste called Silglide that works well too. Annual application is adviseable.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 02:41 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Spay silicon on a cloth and rub cloth on entire gasket. Let dry and apply second coat. This lasts a year for me, nice to have stick-free windows.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:18 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbouy View Post
Which is better the 303 (30324) Rubber Seal Protectant or the 303 (30305) Aerospace Protectant?
I've never used the rubber seal product, but the uv formula only need to be applied every few years.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:17 PM   #29
SipStreamer

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Lakeside , Montana
AS windows: Great looks; lousy operation.
StreamDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:40 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
I keep a disposable plastic putty knife in the drawer instead of the credit card. Wouldn't want to break the bank.

Sort of an aside but related. I was having trouble with the Fantastic Vent seals getting pulled out when I opened the dome. I called FV and they 1) suggested I spot glue the seals (I could not locate any evidence of any glue...relying on the ribbed insert to stay in the curb groove which was worthess) and to 303 protectant the dome, especially where it contacts the seal...also used to clean the fan blades apparently per their instructions.

FV doesn't sell itany more but suggested a non-petroleum based silicone oil. I found some on Amazon that was used as a lubricant in air guns and similar product for treadmills for roller lubrication.

I figured if works on the FV seals, it must work on the windows seals too. What I could garner on line is the pet based silicone products deteriorate the rubber over time...hence the non-pet based S/O.

I only did this a few day ago so have no history to report. However the manual in one place suggests 303 and in another "Slipicone" for the window seals. My dealer indicated the latter was silicone oil...base unknown.

The poppers are slick and maybe I'll revisit them down the road.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:15 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
I keep a disposable plastic putty knife in the drawer instead of the credit card. Wouldn't want to break the bank.

Sort of an aside but related. I was having trouble with the Fantastic Vent seals getting pulled out when I opened the dome. I called FV and they 1) suggested I spot glue the seals (I could not locate any evidence of any glue...relying on the ribbed insert to stay in the curb groove which was worthess) and to 303 protectant the dome, especially where it contacts the seal...also used to clean the fan blades apparently per their instructions.

FV doesn't sell itany more but suggested a non-petroleum based silicone oil. I found some on Amazon that was used as a lubricant in air guns and similar product for treadmills for roller lubrication.

I figured if works on the FV seals, it must work on the windows seals too. What I could garner on line is the pet based silicone products deteriorate the rubber over time...hence the non-pet based S/O.

I only did this a few day ago so have no history to report. However the manual in one place suggests 303 and in another "Slipicone" for the window seals. My dealer indicated the latter was silicone oil...base unknown.

The poppers are slick and maybe I'll revisit them down the road.

Bob
I'm having the same problem with one of my Fantastic vent seals. What did they say to glue it with?

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:17 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
I keep one of my old dog tags on my key chain. Flat, with rounded corners, it works perfectly to nudge open a sticky window!
Old 07-24-2016, 11:23 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
I'm having the same problem with one of my Fantastic vent seals. What did they say to glue it with?

Mike
Mike I bought something at a big box that worked with plastic in additional to the wood, metal etc. They mentioned superglue but I got the impression any general purpose glue would work. I wanted to stay away from a silicone caulk approach.

I'll take a look at the tube on Tuesday when I'm at the trailer and report back.

I put very small amounts in the groove at the joint and also at the start and end 4 corners. I tried to limit the glue in case I had to re-do someday.

Bob
Old 07-25-2016, 04:19 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCR View Post
Another vote for vaseline.
Vaseline will degrade many types of rubber. Silicone will extend the life of rubber seals while preventing glass from sticking to it.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:30 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
All Airstream systems are designed for active use, including the window gaskets. If used often they don't stick.

303 Protectant is what AS recommends. Amazon carries it as wipes in a small plastic tub which is lightweight, easy to store, and has no liquid to spill.

https://www.amazon.com/303-30910-Aer...XGGFXF6JRA9DXV

All the other suggestions will work but also come with negative side effects IMO. As someone mentioned a very light layer of dust from constant window usage also helps.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:32 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post

Mike
Mike I used Loctite: Vinyl, fabric & plastic. it is also labeled "Flexible Adhesive" I got mine at Jerry's in Eug but HD/Lowes in addition to AVE probably have it too. I liked that it worked for vinyl & plastic and was flexible.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:41 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
non pet based silicone on seals

I went with the silicone since F-Vents recommended the 303 only for the dome but silicone for the seals. AS in different pages indicates both.

Using a rag, I applied the first coat of silicone last Thursday. Today when I opened them the vent popped right up. When I released the latches on the windows...I could see the glass pop away immediately. I tried the arms and and the windows were free.

Today I added another light coat and tended to my other chores for another hour, but before leaving wiped them down and closed the windows.

Surely there is a bit of film about 1/8" wide along the edge of the window and maybe that will attract some dust. But I think I'll clean the windows next time and sty on the S/oil routine for now.

Bob
Old 07-26-2016, 02:48 PM   #38
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I have tried a number of the suggestions upthread.

Talc works best. I use tire talc, which is unscented and designed to ...drum roll... keep rubber from sticking to things.

After five years, I still haven't had to re-apply it.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:08 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
I use the blue refrigerator card to hold the doors open when not in use. But a better fix would keep you from getting wet when it rains.
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote