Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2014, 07:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Pacifica , California
Exclamation Help needed!!! reassembling '78 windows

Hey guys and gals I'm in desperate need of help. I'm banging my head against an aluminum wall here. So I'm midway done with my window restoration on my 78 Ambassador.... So far, so good mostly, but all of the sudden my method is not working at all. The glass is original, cleaned and tinted. The butyl spacer is the same stuff I've used in the other successful windows, the gasket is exactly the same, the frame is original as well. What is the missing ingredient that is leaving about a 5cm gap???? Thanks in advance!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-22 13.00.58.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	223931   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-01 16.53.49.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	343.9 KB
ID:	223932  

Name:	2014-09-01 10.19.43.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	223933  
Old 10-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Nashville , Tennessee
Help needed!!! reassembling '78 windows

What is the temp environment ? Cold glass expands.

I need to do that too.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 10-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Pacifica , California
60's I would say, but I was working on one on a warm day in the sun mid 70's... What I don't understand is that I can't think of anything I'm doing differently for these that's messing me up. I didn't know glass expands in the cold though. Interesting.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Nashville , Tennessee
Does not sound like enough temp diff to matter.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 10-07-2014, 09:13 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
fort lauderdale , Florida
Is it possible the metal shims are hanging up on something? Have you tried fitting the frame together w/o the window? What sash gasket are you using and where was it purchased?
ehodg66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:35 PM   #6
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
1. make sure gasket channel is clean. 2. look for possible molding defect in the gasket itself. not likely but it could happen. 3. When you are satisfied up to this point, place the window assembly on a flat, firmly padded surface. 4. carefully place a rachet strap around the perimeter of the frame. (an extra pair of hands is helpful) 5. Ever so gently take up the slack and carefully tighten until the rivet holes align. I have used a few drops of soapy water in the gasket to help things along. Be patient and enjoy the results
Warm Regards
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:39 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Pacifica , California
It's all original to the trailer. and yes it does fit without the window inside... So it's not an issue with the metal. As it stands tonight the only thing we could come up with was the butyl spacer not being an even thickness and therefore messing up the fit. When we put in the glass without the gasket it looked like there was sufficient space in the corners but too tight on the vertical straight lines. In the morning light I'm going to try measuring the glass panes with calipers as well as the frame to keep working on diagnostics... Maybe C clamps around the perimeter to even out the width? But I'm pretty beat and frustrated right now. Either that or there is an "inside" pane and an "outside" pane and somehow I tinted the wrong one and therefore installed them backwards- is that possible?? Thanks everyone for your responses- have a good night folks!
Old 10-07-2014, 09:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by laducky View Post
It's all original to the trailer. and yes it does fit without the window inside... So it's not an issue with the metal. As it stands tonight the only thing we could come up with was the butyl spacer not being an even thickness and therefore messing up the fit. When we put in the glass without the gasket it looked like there was sufficient space in the corners but too tight on the vertical straight lines. In the morning light I'm going to try measuring the glass panes with calipers as well as the frame to keep working on diagnostics... Maybe C clamps around the perimeter to even out the width? But I'm pretty beat and frustrated right now. Either that or there is an "inside" pane and an "outside" pane and somehow I tinted the wrong one and therefore installed them backwards- is that possible?? Thanks everyone for your responses- have a good night folks!
Typically the cause is the inside of the aluminum sash, is horribly corroded which then won't let the steel bar slide in enough. Trimming the bar is a NO-NO.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Pacifica , California
Hi guys, so I have a post script to this thread... but I don't think most people will believe me!! I took the frames to a glass shop (not just any glass shop, since most completely shut me down before even looking at the assembly) where they have helped me before with Trouble. He could not get it to fit again... as in it. was. not. budging. *Somehow* this dang window will not fit in the frame. Granted, I took apart three windows of the same size since I was attempting to be efficient. Do NOT do that! One at a time, to spare you my endless frustration. I figured they had to be uniform right? Right?? WRONG! The others fit perfectly and there is no measurable difference between the frames. Spare yourself the heartache. It seems illogical and improbable, but you have to see it to believe it.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:49 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
I had one window that wouldn't go back together. It had a similar gap. I ended up using two ratchet straps to persuade it into place. It took a lot of force, but eventually went in place. I thought the glass might shatter at one point, but kept going, one ratchet click at a time. Once it was together, I quickly cleco'ed it. I'm not sure of the cause, but the window is back on the trailer and rebuilt.
66replica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:56 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Pacifica , California
It's so crazy that it happened and I'm glad you found a solution for yours. I had a professional glass installer nearly give up because it wasn't working. One thing I learned was that the vista view or stack windows are NOT designed to be watertight but the trick I found out about is using marine sealer (black looks great against the tinted windows and aluminum frame) and neatly cleaning it up to shed water.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-12-21 11.33.30.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	229432   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-12-21 11.33.42.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	229433