Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2016, 08:35 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Berryville , Virginia
Exclamation Help finding leak from wall coming in to left of windows

74 Trade wind

I have a leak which runs down the inside of the wall and comes out on the deck to the left of the windows as viewed from the inside. The windows are to the left of the door.

I have sealed any rivets on the roof which were suspect. sealed the awning tie in bolts. Sealed the sky liner windows at frame to skin and gaskets around the windows. Sealed the skylight frame to skin.

I still have a leak! This is becoming annoying.

Can anyone suggest what I have missed that perhaps they found. I have searched the threads, and I am not coming up with anything.
batt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:35 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Black Diamond , Washington
Do you have one of the external power indicator modules on the left side? They have one or two little red LEDS under a little metal hood. Mine had this and the PO's installer provided no sealant. The leak rotted the floor out completely.
Pygmypoacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:52 PM   #3
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Hey Batt, So many options for leaks so few paragraphs...

1. I am going to assume you have not had the trailer since its day one. Do you know how to tell the difference between a factory installed rivet and an Olympic rivet? Often times when repairs have been done with Olympics it has been done incorrectly (without being dipped in a sealant during install) that can (does) cause leaks...

2. Did you know that the long horizontal seam along the top only overlaps by one inch...Some trailers had foam tape weatherstripping between panel overlaps, mine was one of them. the foam had degraded and when wind driven rain hit the side it blew up and over the long seam and appeared..well where ever the hell it wanted depending on how my trailer was parked, usually the front wing windows or the side windows.

3. The vent stacks, ya they are way at the back but the water can follow that long overlap seam and fall where ever it pleases. Check the gaskets if your model has gaskets, they generally need to be replaced every five years, also check the plastic for fatigue cracks and lastly check the stacks inside the cover are tall enough inside the vent cap that water cant blow in sideways.

4. Do you or did you ever have an antenna mounted on the top? Sometime the steel antenna and the aluminum trailer had a metallurgic reaction and you could have a bunch of pin hole leaks up there from that.

5. Some trailers had gaskets, some had buytl around the windows. Both can fail particularly the buytl. Mine had cracks of up to an inch in some areas. Sealing the edge of the windows where the body meets the window frame does not fix this problem particularly if a rivet runs through the gappy area, Water pours in those.

6. Porch light, Check it is sealed.

7. where the aluminum body meets the Door extrusion, is that sealed?

I'm sure there's more, I have to run. I'll check back on this post later and add more spots that I've personally seen issues with
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:40 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Berryville , Virginia
the leak appears to come from somewhere above the center window, it can not be the skylight oval window since I sealed it to the max. I did pull the Antenna but sealed it well. I have gone over this and just can not figure where it is traveling from. I did replace the lower panel on that side , I did not use a sealer, but these were the rivets that had to be cut and polished. Anymore info would be helpful. thanks.
batt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:18 PM   #5
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
The no sealant thing on your new shaved rivets may likely be your issue. That was the major source of leaks in my rig. I ended up pulling an entire side and re sealing it because someone used Olympics with no sealant. Here's a post I made up last year with a clip of how to use the correctly

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381...ts-135769.html
Old 01-13-2016, 10:38 PM   #6
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Another thought have you sealed your panel overlaps. I had a small sliver in my vertical seam where the outer endcap meets the long part of the body, I has sealed it with Aluminium tinted gutterseal from VTS and after it dryed and cured a tiny air pocket half a centimetre long opened up, I was stunned at how much water came in through that tiny crack.

Also is it an opening window that leaks? Have you checked the gasket to see if its still pliable and there are no obstructions stuck to it like say a pine needle.

Have you sealed the part of the hinge that is attached to the window by tiny rivets.

Have you sealed your miters.

Clearance lights do they have functional gaskets behind them, remember water travels look further than straight up. Look at anything higher than where the water appears.

Sorry that's a whole lot of options I've thrown your way but I kept my 69's interior walls off for over a year after replacing her floor checking and rechecking and chasing leaks and I'd be damned if I was gonna close her up before I was positive she was dry after all that work.

Not as likely but a possibility, are you living in the trailer using propane for heat and cooking. If so in the cooler times of year that causes a tremendous amount of condensation

PS brown paper towels are awesome for tracing leaks. I would go in every rain and rub her down and if the towel darkened I knew where to address next. My leaks changed where they appeared with types of rain and prevailing winds and the tilt and lean of the trailer. Don't give up trying, you will get it eventually... It might take over a year and it may involve tears and a complete tear down of the body but here's to hoping that's just for me ;-)
Old 01-14-2016, 05:00 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The front roof vent and awning rail are both things to look at, and reseal.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Check the rivets that hold the window shade slide for Vista View window. Chances are the tangs are broken off and the rivets are loose. These rivets are located between the upper lap seam and the awning track.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Col. Station , Ohio
I had a leak in the same location you describe. It took several tries to finally get it but I think it was coming from the upper bolts that attach the awning, however I am still not 100% sure about that. In the end it took several tries to finally get it. I remember the water was coming in around the window frame. I would do the bolts again. The first time around did not work for me. The second time seemed to do the trick.

Hope this helps.
Flynavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Not the same trailer - but I'm now getting a leak in the dinette window on my 2012 27FB Flying Cloud (so the rear of the trailer). I was just at the factory and they did the seal-tek test and found a couple gaps they caulked but nothing in this area. We just came home from a camping trip in 2 hours of driving rain and I noticed water leaking on the wall behind the table on the left side of the window.

Water was pooled up inside the window frame (meaning - if you're inside the trailer looking out, look past the screen to the sill between the window and the screen - the sill was full of water and that's what was leaking down the wall).

The question is how it got in to the sill - keeping in mind the factory just tested and there was no leak there.

I'm tempted to think it's the gasket (it seems to be in several pieces including some angles in each corner) as opposed to one single gasket. But I suppose it can be coming from anywhere.

Does one just start replacing the gasket and tracing further up if that doesn't work? Do I need to start pulling out interior walls?

Welcome your thoughts and suggestions!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Not the same trailer - but I'm now getting a leak in the dinette window on my 2012 27FB Flying Cloud (so the rear of the trailer). I was just at the factory and they did the seal-tek test and found a couple gaps they caulked but nothing in this area. We just came home from a camping trip in 2 hours of driving rain and I noticed water leaking on the wall behind the table on the left side of the window.

Water was pooled up inside the window frame (meaning - if you're inside the trailer looking out, look past the screen to the sill between the window and the screen - the sill was full of water and that's what was leaking down the wall).

The question is how it got in to the sill - keeping in mind the factory just tested and there was no leak there.

I'm tempted to think it's the gasket (it seems to be in several pieces including some angles in each corner) as opposed to one single gasket. But I suppose it can be coming from anywhere.

Does one just start replacing the gasket and tracing further up if that doesn't work? Do I need to start pulling out interior walls?

Welcome your thoughts and suggestions!!

Bumping myself to include a pic. Not the best - found one to zoom in on. Look at the bottom right corner of the window. The gasket comes together at a 90* angle there rather than a single gasket that goes all the way around. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1462406211.301160.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	261918
Old 05-04-2016, 06:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I just dealt with this long time nagging issue this week. You have identified the leak spot that let's water into the sill. Captain Tolley fixes it as verified by last night's rain. No water in sill.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I just dealt with this long time nagging issue this week. You have identified the leak spot that let's water into the sill. Captain Tolley fixes it as verified by last night's rain. No water in sill.

Wow - if it's that easy I'm going to be a wicked happy camper! 😀

Off to Amazon for some Cap'n! Thanks muchly!!
Old 05-04-2016, 07:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Wow - if it's that easy I'm going to be a wicked happy camper! 😀

Off to Amazon for some Cap'n! Thanks muchly!!
So we don't hijack OP's thread, if you want to start another, I'll post up some pics of the water route and where and why to seal exactly.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Excellent! Thanks! I'll join you there!
Old 05-04-2016, 08:24 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
To the original poster of this thread "batt"

I see you live in the Berryville area of Virginia. It might interest you to know that Colonial Airstream in southern Jersey does leak testing.

Here is a link to their flyer:

http://www.colonialairstream.com/Sea...5x10-PRINT.pdf

Res nolunt diu male administrari.

WDCU Unit #170
Air #7085

TAC VA-4
WBCCI #2641
VAC
71 Caravel
69 Tradewind

My YouTube Channel
TWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote