Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2008, 09:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Question Hehr window operator replacement questions

I need to replace the Hehr window operators on one of the windows in my "63 Globtrotter as the gears are worn out but I can't figure out how to get the old ones out. There has to be some way to do it but I am just not seeing anything other than cutting the old arm. That then leaves the question of how do you get the new slider in the frame and hooked up to the new arm. I plan to get the new parts from VTS as they look to be almost an exact match to the old operators .This thing really has me stumped and I need some help.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air
I need to replace the Hehr window operators on one of the windows in my "63 Globtrotter as the gears are worn out but I can't figure out how to get the old ones out. There has to be some way to do it but I am just not seeing anything other than cutting the old arm. That then leaves the question of how do you get the new slider in the frame and hooked up to the new arm. I plan to get the new parts from VTS as they look to be almost an exact match to the old operators .This thing really has me stumped and I need some help.
You take the screws out that hold the operator in place.

Then you move the window until the end of the operator along with the friction pad, falls out of the notch that's in the window frame.

Be sure to replace the friction pads. Those from VTS need springs that to my knowledge they don't have.

Or you can use those from Inland, that are made with a superior material that has a very strong memory which eliminates the need for the springs. Our operators have a larger hole in the end to accept the stronger friction pads.

That reduces the window from flopping in the breeze.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Questions for Andy

Thanks for the advice. Is the notch at the top of the window and do I need to loosen both of the operators to move the window and get the friction pads to drop out? Also in looking at your part I can see it is different from the VTS part, do you reuse the handle on your old crank with your operator?
Old 05-21-2008, 08:43 AM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I had a pretty easy time of removing both operators from the Overlander's windows using Andy's method. Mine were caked with Zolatone, so I stripped and cleaned them all while they were out.
Goof Off softened the zolatone to where it would simply peel off the operators.
A thin application of clear grease to the gears made them work like new, although two of them have since stripped out and will need replacement.
I have 2 stripped ones on the 63 Globetrotter as well. It looks like the windows are identical for the most part.
The Overlander has 7 windows and 2 jalousies, the Globetrotter has 6 windows, a little trivia there.....since everybody is surely wondering.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
I got the old ones out, really easy when you see the notch, though it did take a little effort do to some crud in the track. The gears in the two I removed are shot and to think they only lasted 45 years. When I get the new ones I'm going to make sure to clean the track and lube it with silicone.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air
Thanks for the advice. Is the notch at the top of the window and do I need to loosen both of the operators to move the window and get the friction pads to drop out? Also in looking at your part I can see it is different from the VTS part, do you reuse the handle on your old crank with your operator?
Several companies make the operator.

We choose the company the made the best operator.

You can use the old operator handles with the new operators.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote