Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2008, 07:51 AM   #21
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post

As for a low popularity, I would disagree, the 30' was a great unit......If they only made that in an SE model, I may have bitten.....
I tried on many occasions to get Airstream to put the tilt windows in a custom ordered 30' Bunk and all the dealers told me that Airstream said no. I even contacted the factory and asked would they do a one-off and they said no. I even suggested that they make an "International CCD" version of the 30' Bunk and they said no...four months later they introduced the first 25' FB in the "International" trim. I stayed in contact with the factory and was promised that the 30' Bunk was coming in the SE trim...then without warning, they canceled the model. Can you say P.O.'ed, 'er disappointed?

The factory's excuse for not putting the tilt-top windows in the Safari line had been that they wanted to preserve the difference between the Safari line and the Classic and CCD lines to protect their customer's investments since the Safari was a "cheaper" line of Airstreams.

I had to take from existing dealer inventory and was lucky to find exactly what we wanted at a dealer some 250 miles away. BTW, I later found out that the factory did a custom 30' Bunk with a wrap around window in the front bedroom, but Hehr windows on the rest...so much for not doing custom window orders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfood View Post
i wondered if it's possible to make one from scratch (or have someone locally like a sheet metal guy do the frame and i install the glass). the only problem is the hardware details.
He/she would have to be good because of the slight curve of the side of the trailer and you would have to find a properly curved, tempered glass for the window. It would be easier and probably as cost effective to just order a window that would fit from the factory and modify the opening as needed to fit the window.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:15 AM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
I tried on many occasions to get Airstream to put the tilt windows in a custom ordered 30' Bunk and all the dealers told me that Airstream said no. I even contacted the factory and asked would they do a one-off and they said no. I even suggested that they make an "International CCD" version of the 30' Bunk and they said no...four months later they introduced the first 25' FB in the "International" trim. I stayed in contact with the factory and was promised that the 30' Bunk was coming in the SE trim...then without warning, they canceled the model. Can you say P.O.'ed, 'er disappointed?

The factory's excuse for not putting the tilt-top windows in the Safari line had been that they wanted to preserve the difference between the Safari line and the Classic and CCD lines to protect their customer's investments since the Safari was a "cheaper" line of Airstreams.

I had to take from existing dealer inventory and was lucky to find exactly what we wanted at a dealer some 250 miles away. BTW, I later found out that the factory did a custom 30' Bunk with a wrap around window in the front bedroom, but Hehr windows on the rest...so much for not doing custom window orders.

Hey don't get me started....I had asked the factory in October of 2003 when I was working with a dealer right down the street from Jackson Center. I was handed the same BS and I only asked for at the time, the rear window to be modified to the full tilt. Four months, that's right, four months after asking for this, the factory started making the SE line. With no offense to the CCD line, I never wanted the alum interior, I just wanted the windows. They allowed me to upgrade to a 15k BTU A/C unit with the comfort control system (for an upcharge), another Classic only (at the time) option, yet the windows they were staunchly against doing. I was upset at the time, but when the SE units came out only 4 months later (and yes, they had to have had engineering folks on this as my request was being made) really, really, really, ticked me off.

The factory has been doing some really dumb things too lately. They dropped the 25 SS and from what I see is only avail in CCD trims. They have gone off the deep end with the FB units. Nearly half or more of the models are now FB units. The factory still refuses to use stainless screws on the outside in some places, still use battery cooking converter chargers, and the cherry on top of all this, they have been selling most of us units that corrode, some as early as 6 months off the factory production floor and are now considering this a maint issue laying it all on the customer and not honoring warranty work as they once did.....so really, none of this talk of the windows should really shock any of us.....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:30 AM   #23
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
For those of you who wish to trade out a Hehr window for a Corning it has been done at several AS dealers. Not all dealers will attempt this and you will have to check with them. I have seen several trailer that have had this done and yes it is expensive, the task is complicated and in most cases that I have seen you will be restricted as to how far the window will tilt out. There are three settings for the opening and in most cases because of the interior trim the lever will only allow you to go out two notches instead of the three. I am sure that each dealer will have their own price which they would charge for this upgrade but expect it to be around $1,100 per window for parts and labor. We will be replacing two in the spring.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:33 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Wow Minnies Mate...

Where did you see that bunkhouse with the wrap front windows? Nice. Was this done at the time of manufacture?

I actually did get the dealer to negotiate with the factory on that item, the did agree to the front wrap deleting the corner cabinets however would not put the other windows in the rig. They wanted like 1500 for the front wrap add on at the time of ordering, but the kicker was the dealer would not deal at all on a ordered unit. This was the summer of 05, and we did not know the demise of the bunkhouse yet.
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:45 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
The factory has been doing some really dumb things too lately. They dropped the 25 SS and from what I see is only avail in CCD trims. They have gone off the deep end with the FB units. Nearly half or more of the models are now FB units. The factory still refuses to use stainless screws on the outside in some places, still use battery cooking converter chargers, and the cherry on top of all this, they have been selling most of us units that corrode, some as early as 6 months off the factory production floor and are now considering this a maint issue laying it all on the customer and not honoring warranty work as they once did.....so really, none of this talk of the windows should really shock any of us.....[/QUOTE]

I stand by what I said Earlier, It comes down to wanting more and more profit.. They use cheaper stuff to make a cheaper trailer that more people can buy, But I bet the mark up is the same as the higher end trailers or more... They need to stand by the product, back the stuff up, My friends '04 has some really cheap stuff in it.. Latches for one... We are going to replace them all, as half are broken.... mine are 40 years old and only 2 are broken.... I really don't think the new ones will last like the old ones do,, Especially if they use wafer board for flooring... Come on>>> who came up with that dumb idea,,,, Lets save $50 and screw the customer 5 years down the road when we don't have to honor the warranty any more..

It's about making a good product and standing behind it..... If you try to save money here and there it cheaps the product out, then if you have to warranty it, it will cost you more in the long run, SO you don't back it in the warranty...

I've seen it happen in many companies... I just hope AS isn't doing it...

I'm not saying they shouldn't make a profit, but how much is enough... how many homes and yachts, ski homes do CEO's need...?????

How much more is the cost of the full tilt window???? $50, $100, $150, $200 What??? does anyone know...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:14 PM   #26
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSS View Post
Where did you see that bunkhouse with the wrap front windows? Nice. Was this done at the time of manufacture?
Actually, I saw a photo here on the airforums and it was done at the factory. As I recall, $1500 was about the price that was quoted in the post. They deleted the upper shirt closets and used a corner night table/cabinet below the windows in the corners. I liked it, but my wife said too much light. She likes to sleep in and miss half the camping trip that way.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 09-30-2008, 02:18 PM   #27
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi View Post
I am sure that each dealer will have their own price which they would charge for this upgrade but expect it to be around $1,100 per window for parts and labor.
While I would have paid the difference between the cost of the windows when the trailer was being built, that is too rich for my blood. There are a total of 7 windows excluding the front end and rear end so that all the rest would match and $7,700 is more than I could see investing at this point.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 03-17-2012, 06:47 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Although this discussion is four years old I stumbled across it searching on info about windows.
I have owned my AS for less than a month. It has the Hehr 1/3 windows. In the year that I shopped for AS I only knew the new products and their prices. I remember looking at the Sports with their different windows and ceiling lights. I found that the sales people pointed those differences out to me. I looked at Sports, Flying Clouds, Internationals and Classics. What I found to sway me more than windows was the open space inside. As I dug deeper into comparisons of the models I found items of preference versus function between models. At one point I considered the Sport's lack of recessed lighting and different windows but I saw those as more a preference. What I found more an issue with the Sport was the lack of lounge space - a place to sit other than a dinette, single axle (lower weight capacity) and small tanks - functional differences. At the time I bought my trailer there was a 2007 SE same size right next to it for sale for $9K more. I liked it but it had the dinette and stove facing lounge and a queen bed. I PREFERRED the the TV facing sofa, the floorspace with the put-away table and twin beds. I was thankful for the savings in spite of the windows.

While some on here have the Hehr windows and others state they wouldn't want them; that is a preference. Airstream gave the purchaser the choice with different price points. That is not cheapening the product as a whole. While it is a mute point that the Hehr windows are less expensive and do not fully swing open, they have some benefits that have already been mentioned that I noticed just the other day - no screens in view. I like the international windows too. Now, as far as windows go, one thing I had on my "don't like" list was windows in the bathroom.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:55 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
After living with our Safari for 2 years, my initial concerns about the Hehr windows turned out to be a non-event. For our purposes they have worked out fine. We camp in the mountains (usually wooded) or the beach (with is usual breezes) and get plenty of air. Of course, depending on where you live and camp, your situation could certainly vary with the Cornings being a big asset. Would I still prefer the swing open Cornings, yep (but what I would really like is more window space, hehr or otherwise). But I am fine with the Hehrs too. I don't think it is economical to try to change them out, I would just "upgrade" to a used trailer that had the windows. I am also fine with the lower priced of the Safari, much better value than the upgraded models. None of them are built very well for the bucks anyway (Thor must laugh at us Airstreamers as they march to the bank). Kind of like a Accord - Camary vs. Acura - Lexus thing, basically the same in many regards, on the upgraded models you pay a lot more for a bit more (I know this from owning several of the bit more cars - currently back to an Accord Coupe EX, lots of value - still fun to drive). But to each their own, the high end models are nice if you want to spring the bucks. BTW we rarely have hookups so we almost never use the AC and are still confortable. We have 3 Fantastic Fans and I am sure they help (we have solar panels so that helps with the elec. usage). Besides, we don't sit around inside the trailer all day anyway, we spend our time outside, that's why we go camping! Enjoy what you have, life is short and any Airstream/window still makes for a sweet machine!
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote