Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2008, 10:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Hehr Standard Part Fabrication

I am creating this thread because I am in dire straits. One of the hehr standard windows in my 53 Flying Cloud is missing it's cross bar assembly. This includes the operator (Replaceable), and the screen retaining clip that allows passage of the operator through the window. Does anyone have a source for these cross bars or an entire new window? The hehr window on ebay right now is the wrong size. It is a piece of aluminum that looks to be bent into shape.

If anyone is capable of fabricating the pieces, or knows where I can get parts, I will be forever grateful. I may have to consider fixing the window in place.

Pic of the window missing parts

Parts needed:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crossbar.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	68097  
Old 09-24-2008, 05:37 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Steve, if you can't find an original one, why not make one out of aluminum channel? You coud cut the endsat a 45 degree angle so it doesn't have flat ends, and should look pretty good.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Hi Steve,If it is just the U shaped piece you are looking for all you have to do is get a piece of aluminum at the hardware store and any heating and a/c shop with a sheet metal break can make that in less than 5 min.If it is a problem let me know the dimensions and I can make and send one.Its been good reading your progress,it looks like mine I'm not sure if it is progress yet.
Doug
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Send me some dimensions, and closeup pictures, I can most likely make one that will be real close.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Steve ~ Which window is that? I think it looks like our front ones with the notched arm type catch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
Send me some dimensions, and closeup pictures, I can most likely make one that will be real close.
If you post close up details & dimensions, I'll check ours to see if they are the same. Then if Kip thinks he can make one, he can come by & check ours out for more detail if he wants to...we live relatively close-by.

Shari
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3797.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	68106  
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I can give the window dimensions out, but the cross bar is missing, so I wont have that. Shari, I believe all your windows have cranks while mine have push operators, so that little round piece that the arm goes through isn't on there.

Steve
Old 09-24-2008, 07:29 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
I can give the window dimensions out, but the cross bar is missing, so I wont have that. Shari, I believe all your windows have cranks while mine have push operators, so that little round piece that the arm goes through isn't on there.

Steve
No, our front windows do not have cranks...they have levers with notches to hold the open, they are 100% manual - no cranks. Take another look at the picture I posted...and this one below. I can take more later this evening, I'm late to work.

Shari
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3796.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	68107  

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 09-24-2008, 08:08 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
If its the same as Sheri's then I can go measure her,s. She only lives about 20 minutes from me.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:24 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I will give rough dimensions since my window is a side window, and not up front.

Thanks!

Steve
Old 09-24-2008, 09:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Dimensions that I will need are as follows:
1) total length
2) length of flattened portions on each end
3) inside dimension on of the channel
4) Thickness of material
5) If possible the bend radius on the inside of the channel
6) height of the legs of the channel measured from the outside surface to the top of the leg
It would be better to measure with calipers as I need the dimensions in thousandths
7) at what dimension do the legs start to flatten out from vertical
8) Does the flattened portion joggle over a lip on the window frame? If so I will need those offset numbers
Old 09-24-2008, 09:57 AM   #11
1953 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
Steve you and I have the same 53'. What window is it? I'm willing to take any photos that may be needed for the re-fabrication. Just let me know.

www.petidforme.com/105
1953 Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:12 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Wow Kip....Since I don't have the piece, I will have to rely on Robert for this information.

The window is the kitchen window above the sink. Thanks for offering to help.

Kip, I can mail my window to you for you to test fit if you need. You can look at Shari's windows compared to mine with the dimensions that Robert can get. I don't mind paying for your help and expertise, but please keep the info written down when complete...there is a market for these parts!

Steve
Old 09-24-2008, 10:30 AM   #13
1953 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
No problem Steve. I won't be able to take any photo's till this weekend. Just so I understand, you need dimensions for the middle bar or do you need dimensions for the cross members that go across the top, bottom and sides that hold the glass in place as well?

Kip, what photos do you need to make it easier for you to reproduce this project?

www.petidforme.com/105
Old 09-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
I will give rough dimensions since my window is a side window, and not up front.
I believe the mechanism & bar are basically the same though...my window is installed vertically and yours is horizontal. I have seen these same window mechanisms on early 50's trailers in both horizontal & vertical applications on all sides of the trailer. Figure out what you guys want to do, then Kip can contact me to come see ours if needed...will have "something on the BBQ" for you when you come by!

Shari

Old 09-24-2008, 10:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I wish I had another window the same size, and I would just send it to you Kip.

Robert, The circled object in the picture is what I need fabricated. Not the operator arm, but the cross bar.

Now, on the opposite side of this bar, is this little thing that attaches to the cross bar above. It retains the screen, and allows the operator through the screen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hole for operator arm.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	68122  
Old 09-24-2008, 11:11 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Just get me the total height of the window frame and I can get the other dimensions from Shari's.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:41 AM   #17
1953 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Well it seem that my job is done here...lol Let me know if any one needs any pics.

www.petidforme.com/105
Old 09-24-2008, 11:58 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1953 Flying View Post
Well it seem that my job is done here...lol Let me know if any one needs any pics.
I think the more info the better...it certainly can't hurt to have pics to double check ours are the same, being that yours is a "twin".

Shari

Old 09-24-2008, 02:22 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Robert,

Thanks for getting the info for kip on this window..I owe ya one.

Thanks to you too Shari...and KIP....Karma all around!
Old 09-25-2008, 11:52 AM   #20
Vintage Trailer Supply
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Montpelier , Vermont
Hehr Standard Windows - Terminology

Hi Folks,

I just realized I'm having some similar problems with my windows. I can't find some parts...

To start, though, I thought I'd help the discussion with the official terminology used by Hehr back in the day. Remember, we are talking about "Hehr Standard" windows here. They were used starting in 1952 and were beginning to be phased out in 1958. By 1959, only the small inexpensive trailers still used them. I believe they were entirely gone by 1961.

The steel vertical members installed in the back frame where the screen is are called "back channels." There are different kinds depending on what goes through them. If it has a lever operator going through it, it is a "lever back channel." If it has a gear operator through it, you have an "operator back channel." If it has a locking latch through it, you have a "latch back channel." Got it?

Now, for the vertical bar mounted in the front frame where the glass is installed. That is called (you can probably guess) the "front channel." In the early days, those were made of steel. I am not 100% sure, but I believe all the lever style front channels were steel. Correct me if I am wrong. When the gear operators came on the scene, they started using extruded aluminum channels so the operator arm tips (nylon sliders or wheels) would have something to ride in. These would be called either "operator front channels" or "latch front channels," depending on whether they were fitted with the little catch for the latch. Only the operator front channels had the notch out at one end for the nylon tip to go in and out of the channel.

The little rectangle or oval steel parts that were attached to the back channels are called "grommets." They came in a bunch of different styles, including some with springs on them. One style was called a "hook grommet" and it was used with the lever style windows. The hook is used to secure the lever when the window is closed. It came in either a 6-3/16" or a 9-3/16" version depending on the lever used.

If I can't find my 6 missing latch back channels and 9 missing operator back channels (long story), I'll be making them in quantity. Same goes for the corresponding grommets.

If I can't find my 2 missing latch front channels and 3 missing operator front channels, I'm going to panic. Then I'm going to invest in aluminum extrusion tooling and have them made in quantity.

As all of you who have worked with me on past reproduction projects know, this will take some time. But since my windows can't be reassembled until I get this done, I'll move faster than usual!
WBCCI #1573
VintageRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hehr, repair, vintage, window