Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2015, 06:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Angry 'Goof-ball' window design!

My question to especially Airstream is;

WHY oh Why did you design such a difficult window to use, and open?????
To open it the first, second or third times etc. one must have a person inside to operate the levers, and one outside to gently pry the window off the rubber seal. Even after lubricating the seal with silicone, or WD-40, it's still difficult to release from the seal to open.
My previous Hi-Lo had simple Venetian style windows that cranked open easily, kept the rain out, and sealed very well when closed. So what' the matter with that style??? They worked!

If A.S. is going to continue with the current style, I would suggest that they install push buttons on small thru shafts that will 'break' the window away from the seal, so that they can then be opened as designed.

C'mon Airstream;
If you are going to sell a 'Premium' RV, then make it like a 'Premium' RV, and not some cheap-**** after thought.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:04 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Bishop , California
Mel,

I agree, the design is poor. Airstream might also want to consider dual pane windows which are offered in many RVs. I just got back from a trip to Canada this fall and spent most of my time looking at window condensation instead of the beautiful view. I know dual pane is not the complete answer but it will help. The rear window on my 21 ft model opens, but with nothing to hold the window when released from the latches.

Bill Dunlap
Bishop, CA
billdunlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Yep, agreed, they look nice, but because of sticking gaskets, they don't work nearly as well as the jalousy style windows we had in our last "Award" trailer unless you use them very often.

We don't open ours often, and so they are well and truly stuck when we do want to do so.
I have tried spraying the gaskets with silicon spray or Armorall but it didn't help after the trailer had been in storage for a while.

What I do is to keep a large diameter suction cups (maybe 4") with a vacuum release button in the trailer, and use it pull any stuck windows open from the outside if we need them open. Once open, they are fine for the rest of the trip.

I was a bit concerned about trying to pry on the glass from the outside to free them up.

I'm sure your idea of push buttons from the inside would work. In fact I think I saw details someplace where someone had drilled the frames and installed pushrods through the frames for this very purpose.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Rather than using silicone or some other oily or oil-like lubricant, try rubbing the seals with talcum powder. Baby powder is an easily found and cheap talcum powder.

Interestingly enough, the Hehr windows in our 2002 19" Bambi are the type that open by turning a nob, that is, the lower 1/4 of the windows opens. A number of years ago, I used clear polycarbonate to make double pane (inside the trailer) out of all of the non-opening parts of the windows. We have been very pleased with the result even though the air-space between the panes is not perfectly sealed.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
If they still stick with silicone on the seals, they may be adjusted too tight. And I think the seals of a new Airstream are more likely to stick than after they have been on there awhile.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Look for "Window Poppers" on the web. That's the exact solution you need. I just ordered some.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
If they still stick with silicone on the seals, they may be adjusted too tight. And I think the seals of a new Airstream are more likely to stick than after they have been on there awhile.
Never, EVER use anything but silicone spray on window and door gaskets. Silicone spray has been used on those gaskets for decades, and has more than proven itself.

Someone mentioned "baby powder". I have no knowledge as to it's value on exterior gaskets.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Someone mentioned "baby powder". I have no knowledge as to it's value on exterior gaskets.

Andy
Andy,

I am the one who recommended talcum powder and .... have long been a fan of all of the good advice you have provided on this forum for so may years.

But, talcum powder does work on sticky rubber to stop it from adhering where it shouldn't. A good thing is it is very easily removed (damp cloth or sponge). In other words, try it and, if you are unhappy with the results, wipe it off.

The "universal expert" Martha Stewart recommends talcum powder for the rubber weather stripping on a car. See point 6 here: Detailing a Car | Martha Stewart

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote