Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2012, 04:16 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Toronto , Ontario
Getting real cranky about window cranks

At the risk of being repetitive (see other posts), here's some background.

I have a lovely 64 Overlander (in almost perfect original condition) that I use for camping in a very remote place. At times, it's rented out to reliable people.

When I was out there this summer, i discovered that several of the side window cranks no longer work. The mechanism seems to "slip", so that the supporting arms won't stay on the grooves. For a while, i was able to take off the screens and gently push the windows open while turning the cranks, and they would stay in position. That doesn't work anymore!

So, do you think the crank mechanisms are stripped or something? And what should I do?

As I've also said in other posts, I'm embarrassingly "un-handy". i also have little access to people who can do this stuff...for instance, just try to get a plumber (there's only one serving about 100 square miles) during lobster season... everybody's out fishing!

All you experts out there... please advise!

Thanks loads.
wigwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:40 AM   #2
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
In 64 there were two styles of windows, the pre 1964(very easy to find and replace) which use two operators and the later 64 ones that use one arm to lift a very thick and heavy window. That style of window is what I suspect you have. The operators can be purchased through Blaine Window in Hagerstown Maryland. Even though the operator is on the right, it is actually a left upside down. I recommend you remove one and send it to them to match. The one you need is an odd ball for sure...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:55 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Toronto , Ontario
Thanks 62Overlander. But all my windows do have TWO operators! Does that mean that my Overlander is older than 64? That would be a surprise! I'm afraid I have no pics of the serial number.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:09 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Getting real cranky about window cranks

Greetings wigwag!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigwag View Post
Thanks 62Overlander. But all my windows do have TWO operators! Does that mean that my Overlander is older than 64? That would be a surprise! I'm afraid I have no pics of the serial number.
I can attest that many 1964 Overlanders have double operators on their larger windows. That is the arrangement that my Overlander has . . . and I know that it is original as I remember them from my first trip in the Overlander when it was just a few weeks old in 1964. When I acquired the Overlander in 1995, I needed a number of replacement operators . . . living in an area with two college towns where older mobile homes are common, I was able to find the operators at a mobile home parts/service outlet . . . at the time, they told me that the operators were regularly stocked, but I purchased enough to replace all of the operators on my Overlander keeping the extras for future replacements when the last of the original operators wear out.

Good luck in your search for replacement operators!

Kevin

P.S.: You can see the dual operators in the photo of my bathroom window found below. The photo wasn't focusing on the operators so they aren't prominently featured:

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:45 AM   #5
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigwag View Post
No it is a 64 in the early months of production. Be glad you did not get the other windows for 1964. You can find the operators you need from VTS or Blaine has them too. The ones from Blaine are not reproductions and are closest to the originals. You will need friction pads for the ends too to make them work.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:22 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Toronto , Ontario
Great. Thanks.