Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Berryville , Virginia
gasket on curved fixed wing windows '71 tradewind

I have a 71 Trade Wind Land Yacht which I am rebuilding. I would like to repair the curved side fixed window gasket seal so that I do not have condensation issues . Can any one tell me who can provide me with this gasket or is this something that can now be done using more modern sealing methods in a glass shop? The existing seal between the windows is gray with intermittent white cylinders.
batt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by batt View Post
I have a 71 Trade Wind Land Yacht which I am rebuilding. I would like to repair the curved side fixed window gasket seal so that I do not have condensation issues . Can any one tell me who can provide me with this gasket or is this something that can now be done using more modern sealing methods in a glass shop? The existing seal between the windows is gray with intermittent white cylinders.
That gasket has never been available from Airstream.

It's far better to convert the wing windows to single pane.

The double panes, in time,will leak as you experience.

Additionally, taking the wing window apart is not to bad. Putting it back together again, because of the internal rusted steel, is usually a no no.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
Window Gasket

That gasket is not available from A/S. As a matter of fact no gaskets of any type like that are available. A/S will however sell you a new window if you want to cure your condensation problem. Contact Inland RV for the best price on a window. If you search "Wing Window" in windows you will find several threads on repairing these windows. This type of repair is not for the novice. The window frame must be removed from the trailer and then split the frame and try to get the 2 panes of glass and the gasket out of the frame. If you read the posts in the threads you will see how difficult and time consuming this repair is. Much easier to replace the window however the new window is single pane only. I haven't done mine yet but am going to try. Good luck and post pics and comments on your efforts.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Berryville , Virginia
gasket

OK the gasket on the exterior and interior seems good, just the interior looks sloppy at the bottom. Can anyone tell me was this a thermal piece of glass? Was what ever it is in between the glass simply a spacer, and what were the white cylinders embedded in the interior gasket?
Has anyone taken these out and made them back up as thermal sealed units?

I take it to remove the curved glass you have to cut the extruded frame from the inside. Appreciate any input on this. In reading the threads I just want to make sure everyone understands these are the curved side windows.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
x

XXXX , XXXX
Wing Window Removal

To remove these windows the rivets holding the window in must be drilled out and the entire frame removed from the trailer. There is also a bar that connects these windows to the center window. It must be hammered upwards to remove it. This bar is not reusable and new ones must be ordered. Once the window is out of the trailer the straight section of the frame can be removed by undoing the screws holding it on. Lots more to do to remove this window from frame. Search in windows for zep`s thread on it for a complete detailed breakdown. Several other threads as well. However I am still trying to source out a suitable gasket and butyl tape for these windows. May not be possible to repair. Mine look like s**t now. I wolud love to repair them.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
We were able to convert ours to single pane just like people do with the sealed vista views. We broke out the inside pane (it IS safety glass though) using a dremel cutting blade. Once it cuts through the pane, it crackes into a million pieces in place. We then pulled all of the glass pieces out, removed the butyl and rubber seals inside and out (cut it with an exacto knife and work it out). Once the outside pane is free to move inside the frame, clean the frame and window up.

We then put a bead of vulkem on the outside between glass and frame and pressed it to the outside and inserted the same gasket used in the vista view conversion into the slot left over where the other pane and butyl went. It was done last summer and neither have leaked yet and we can see through both great now.

I would have a backup plan ready in case you end up breaking the outside pane while working with it though. Ours went smoothly for 4 vista view and 2 wing window conversions and I am so glad I did them.

Here is the blog post if you want to read more about it.

Broken:

Finished:
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:33 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Berryville , Virginia
Thanks, was the material between the glass part of the exterior-interior gasket or an independent material used as a spacer? Was this glass manufactured as insulated glass, that is a sealed unit or was it open venting unit(not sealed)? If it was not built as insulated glass then the condensation would have been an inherent issue.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Batt,
Both our wing and VV windows were the same gaskets originally. There is one piece of rubber/plastic (grey color on ours) that is goes from outside (piece you see sticking out between the glass and aluminum frame) then around the glass edges and sticks out the inside between glass and frame. All one piece. Then there was the butyl between the panes (black and sticky) that is separate from the rubber/plastic piece. We cut the grey piece multiple times around the window panes to free up the glass. Once you trim it to the inside of the outside pane of glass, you can pull the rest out from the outside.

As far as sealed, I am not sure if these windows were sealed or not originally. Both of ours had condensation or sitting water inbetween the panes so weren't sealed anymore if they were supposed to be.
Proud to be Air #37137
Old 07-29-2010, 08:26 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Berryville , Virginia
thanks, and continueing

ok , we are getting closer. I am guessing that these windows were never insulated sealed units, and must have been problems from day one, with condensation.

So the gasket is a single piece front to back with a channel for both pieces of glass to seat. the material between the glass is separate and was a seal between the glass and outside. I was contemplating cutting the back metal flange to remove the glass, but by your description that no longer sounds like an option.

Even removal of the entire unit it aprears that the glass is covered on the back side by the window frame which wraps around the back side of the glass by 1/2". Just how did you remove it from the metal frame? Also where did you find the metal channel replacement that holds the wing units to the main unit?
Old 07-29-2010, 12:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Here's a couple of pictures of a duel frame that I stole a single pane from. The two pieces of glass were separated in the frame with a butyl rubber seal. That assembly was then sealed into the frame with silicone. The frame had to be completly removed from the Trailer to seperate. The post below has a different type.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...aks-65939.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...ilm-37422.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 124.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	107731   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 125.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	293.9 KB
ID:	107732  

Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Quote:
Even removal of the entire unit it aprears that the glass is covered on the back side by the window frame which wraps around the back side of the glass by 1/2". Just how did you remove it from the metal frame? Also where did you find the metal channel replacement that holds the wing units to the main unit?
If the question above was directed at my post, we didn't remove the frame or glass. Aerowwood's picture is the same frame that is in ours. Looking at our frame, I don't think the glass can come out without cutting the frame in some way. We just broke the inside pane and all of the gasket material, cleaned the frame up with the outside pane of glass still in and re-sealed it to the outside using Vulkem and put a spacer gasket on the inside (held in using Vulkem) to keep the glass tight in the frame.
Proud to be Air #37137
Old 07-29-2010, 05:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
The inside vertical frame screws to the rest of the frame. After the assembly was removed from the trailer it was easy to remove the screws to disassembled the frame and remove the two panes of glass as one piece. I then cut the butyl to separate the two panes.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Berryville , Virginia
Aerowood, Thanks for your input. So there are screws which are visible only after the windows are removed! Again I just want to make sure we are both talking about the curved side windows. Also since you have been through this Please enlighten me on where you purchased the aluminum U channel that holds the wing window to the main window since they say it can not be replaced. What type of butyl tape did you use between the pains of glass. Did you set the frame in flat butyl tape? Finally did you get a good seal?
Old 08-02-2010, 07:11 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I'll give you answers tonight, I have to catch a plane
Old 08-02-2010, 07:25 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The OEM windows on my 71 was very thin single pane. I replaced them with double pane windows from a 75. I rebuild one of the windows that had condensation which was enough for me to not want to do the other. The gaskets are different and not available new. I found easier to float the new window panes in Vulkem than try to reuse the stretched out brittle gasket. A quicker alternative is to break out one of the double panes.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Aerowood, Thanks for your input. So there are screws which are visible only after the windows are removed! Again I just want to make sure we are both talking about the curved side windows. Also since you have been through this Please enlighten me on where you purchased the aluminum U channel that holds the wing window to the main window since they say it can not be replaced. What type of butyl tape did you use between the pains of glass. Did you set the frame in flat butyl tape? Finally did you get a good seal?
I was able to salvage and reuse the dovetailed channel. I only needed one pane of glass and just bedded it in sealent in the frame as the gasket was shot. Get in touch with Zep as he is the widow wizard
Airstream Forums - View Profile: Zeppelinium about where to get the butyl tapes.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Out-of doors mart have the dovetail splice bar

Windows and Related Parts : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!
Old 08-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Berryville , Virginia
aerowood did you make the flight?

Just checking to make sure you are still with us, since you said you had to make a flight and would get back to me! Like to know your base on replacing the windows per my questions. thanks.