Old 02-16-2006, 07:09 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1973 31' Sovereign
Okeechobee , Florida
Gasket Glue

Good Evening to all. Time to get back to work.
The gaskets have arrived and we obviously need to get a bit of adhesive to adhere them permanently. What is recommended? This is going to be a long road so I'd like to go down the right path. The gaskets are the black foam rubber with double flanges. PS-It is identicle to what we are scraping off.

Since we plan to purchase some aluminum rivets tomorrow it would be nice to be able to get the glue, as well. The rivets are for the dome light area as the plastic covers are warped and cracked, so since we have mostly sun here and plenty of vista views, we can afford the slight reduction of sunlight!

Hope all is well in the land of AS. I'm back to work.

dmuszick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:13 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I use 3M weatherstrip it from NAPA IIRC. Also run a board search for Window weatherstrip...there is something about the way you install the adhesive that can make the job simple or a mess if you do it the other way.

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:01 PM   #3
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I use 3M weatherstrip adhesive (snip)
aka "monkey snot." Well, only if you buy the original yellow kind. They also market a black version now, and it does not bear the relevant resemblance.

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
That's Snot Right!

Lynn, You can check with Ingrid (PINKFLAMINGOS) on the way to install the adhesive and gasket to make sure, but I believe the correct and less messy way is to put a coat of adhesive along the door/window frame and also on the backside of the gasket. Use two people to do the install. Wait for the adhesive to be just tacky to almost dry. Then stick the gasket to the frame being careful to place it correctly the first time as it is difficult to remove if done wrong and ruins the gasket. Good Luck...Ed
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:48 AM   #5
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
Yep, that sounds about right. I installed new rubber around the cabin door with yellow monkey snot six or seven years ago. You apply the stuff in a relatively thin coat on both surfaces and let both become tacky. Then stick it all together. When they're tacky, they'll stick to each other readily, so I was able to do the whole job alone.

But before I get to gasket work (and windows), I have to complete my surprise frame droop job, which is coming along well and, I hope, will continue well if the weather improves and holds.

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 10:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
where to get gaskets

I just did an emergency replacement of my door gasket while on the road. Lowe's rubber (not foam, but maybe not as good a real black gasket material) door gasket and peel-off sticky back. Takes an elephant to close, but worth doing until I get home.

I need to do all the windows. I got some gasket from Inland RV a couple years ago to do the access doors. Where can I order the right stuff and is it different for main door, windows, and access doors?
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 02:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Some dealers carry those gaskets.

You can also see them on a couple of web sites.

Different gaskets are used for different year trailers. You must be specific as to which year.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote