Old 11-18-2003, 10:36 PM   #1

front wrap-around windows

both holding water, was told could remove from inside. must be special trick. need info on removal and repair. glass good,seal between glass, well its a 73 model what's to say. help!
have allready figured out guide strip on outside. not sure but think rivits will have to come out ????

Old 11-19-2003, 10:20 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

On my '73, I used a spring loaded center punch to shatter the inside pane of glass. I first taped the entire glass to minimize cleanup and also taped a garbage bag under the window too.

Set the punch to a light/medium setting and "dimple" the glass in the same spot until it blows.

Clean out all the pieces and you're set. You will most likely need to re vulkem the perimiter of the body window frame AND the window-window frame. They are seperate pieces and I had leaks from both of them.

FYI, the inner pane on mine appears to have been screwed to the outer pane from the inside. I first tried to remove the screws, but they wouldn't budge. Rather than risking breaking both panes, I opted to break the inner one.

Good Luck!

Tripp

Old 11-19-2003, 03:06 PM   #3

front windows

Thanks Tripp,
mine has screws holding inside to outer frame also, and have them out. but was hopeing for somthing a little less destructive,
cause ive read that the glass is no longer available. these look like they just need new seals and calk. UNLESS I dont have luck with removal of them.
cant tell exactly how the frame parts all fit together. I think all thats holding now is the stuff they used to seal frame to window body. but not sure.
Daryl
Old 11-19-2003, 03:33 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

I too think that it was vulkem between the joints. You MAY be able to separate the two panes, but at considerable risk to the outside pane. it will have to be pried out somehow. You could try paint stripper on the vulkem and gradually wear down the joint, but you risk getting it on the vinyl clad walls-not good. You won't be losing much by getting rid of the inner pane by breaking it, but you sure would if you happened to break the outer pane! Even if you found a replacement and were willing to pay the price, the tinting of the glass varied over the years and the replacement would stick out like a sore thumb.

Tripp

PS. How are your vista views? I gave a descriptive post on the restoration of mine and posted about 60 pictures to the photos forum.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:01 PM   #5
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
I fixed the wrap arounds on my 75 this summer.
I duct taped the inner pane and went at it with the auto center punch.
The first one went great but the second one I pushed too hard and broke both panes.
One the one I did right, once I got all the pieces of glass out I found that regular mineral spirits will wash away all the old vulkem. Then I siliconed the single pane back in and helt it there for a couple of days with some wood shims.
The one I shattered both panes in I had to replace with a new one from AS. $335!!! and they only sell them tinted.
I'd do it again. My windows are SO much nicer now than when they were full of water.
Good Luck
Jerry
Old 11-26-2003, 10:00 PM   #6

windows

My vista views are pealing on inside but still holding for now
Old 11-28-2003, 09:29 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to fundave
I have two of these vista view windows if you are interested. I bought them on Ebay last week. 2 New Old Stock Airstream trailer Vista View windows, 40", curved, tinted, double pane. Tagged with part #371175 and original price of $92.47. Some scuffing and scratching to aluminum frame, very slight dent in one end. In case it is unclear, when I say curved I mean it is curved across the short dimension for installation in the curved upper part of the trailer. The exposed glass is about 7". The tag also is marked 72-77, which I guess is the years these were used. There is some adhesive from tape on the face in one spot. I imagine this can be removed without much problem. Packed it will weigh more than 13 pounds. Figure shipping at USPS.com, from 32548