Old 07-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #1

Charlottesville , Virginia
Front windows

Hello! I am new to the forum, but have been exploring for days now. I see there has been a great attempt to explain a uniform way to clean and reassemble all different windows on all different airstreams. I still need help!

I have a '73 Land Yacht and have removed the front wing windows to clean. They are double paned glass and after removing the rivets, I am struggling with removing all the screws. Every thread I have read so far doesn't seem to have windows with as many screws as my windows do. They have all sorts of caulking covering them and are rusted in. I successfully removed two or three on one window and busted the other ten or so. I can't remove the frame, which appears to hold both pieces of glass, and don't know where to go from here. Our goal is to turn our airstream into a mobile kitchen, but I don't think anyone would consider buying food from us after looking at these windows.

In truth what I would really like would be to remove my three piece front window and get one big one that I could install in a way that I could easily remove it to allow a service window. Is there a way to get a piece of glass for this or any new framing to do this with?

I'll catch on to terminology eventually. Thanks for your patience and help.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Welcome to the forums.
The double pane wing windows are not meant to be disassembled. Some people have had some success taking them apart and removing the inner pane, but new gaskets are tough to find.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
I've got the same problem. The screws are steel and much harder than the aluminum frame. My windows are at a machinist right now to get the screw removed. Still have not heard back to find out if its even doable.
Replacements can be had from Inland RV for about 200 each. You could rivet aluminum over tho openings. I don't know of any single piece windows that would replace all three. Structurally it would weaken the front of the trailer.
Ill let you know how it turns out. I just want to remove the inner pane and convert them to single pane.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Zonacpa, Myairkitchen,

Any follow-up to your adventures with the wing windows? I drilled the rivets out of one of mine this weekend, but don't see any obvious way to disassemble further...
Old 05-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
Zonacpa, Myairkitchen,

Any follow-up to your adventures with the wing windows? I drilled the rivets out of one of mine this weekend, but don't see any obvious way to disassemble further...
Well, yes. I had both inner and outer panes separated. They are basically 2 piece windows. (Each). I pulled the glass, polished the framed and reassembled using just the outer glass. No more double panes.

At the point you are at, you will need to remove a piece of channel that connects to middle window frame to the wing frames. You will need to start at the top and beat on it with wood block and hammer Ina downward direction. Use lots of break free and it will slide down with each blow.

Here are some random pics I took of my wings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2694962609.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	540.6 KB
ID:	185243   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1632948339.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	431.6 KB
ID:	185244  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3208908413.jpg