Old 06-12-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Front Window Questions

On our '72 Sovereign, I have three questions regarding the front window.

1. The left-hand wing window is missing the outside piece of glass. The inside piece of glass is intact. I've read about taking the wing windows apart to clean in between the glass pieces, or to even remove the inside piece of glass to resolve "dirt and water trapped in between them" issues, so I'm not afraid of taking it apart.

My question is, can I move the inside piece of glass to the outside channel? That sure would look better and I think seal better. Or am I better off just replacing the entire wing window?

2. The right-hand wing window has both pieces of glass, but it was replaced or repaired by a PO that used regular steel pop-rivets. So I need to take this wing out, reseal it, and put it back in with olympic rivets. While I have it out, should I remove the inside piece of glass so I don't have issues down the road with moisture buildup in between them? Thoughts?

3. The center opening window also still has both pieces of glass, although it feels like the inside pane might be plastic (maybe lexan). I haven't tried to scratch it yet to find out for sure though. There is a film in between the glass panes that is coming loose and is discolored in spots.

Can I take the inside piece of glass out and leave the outside piece intact? Does the sash frame come apart?

A general question is why are some windows double panes and some single? It looks like the vista windows all used to be double panes, but someone took the inside panes off long ago (which saves me the trouble of doing that I guess ).

Down the road in our refurb, we'll put on a stone guard to protect the front windows while towing, so I'm not that concerend about keeping them double paned for towing and flying rock issues. Is that why the front windows were double paned to begin with?

Chris

Old 06-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I have done work on the wing windows but it was to remove lexan and replace it with glass. My 71 only had single pane frames but I split a dual pane and used one pane in my installation. See post 145 of this thread for details
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f416...-26902-11.html

Kip

Old 06-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
On our '72 Sovereign, I have three questions regarding the front window.

1. The left-hand wing window is missing the outside piece of glass. The inside piece of glass is intact. I've read about taking the wing windows apart to clean in between the glass pieces, or to even remove the inside piece of glass to resolve "dirt and water trapped in between them" issues, so I'm not afraid of taking it apart.

My question is, can I move the inside piece of glass to the outside channel? That sure would look better and I think seal better. Or am I better off just replacing the entire wing window?

2. The right-hand wing window has both pieces of glass, but it was replaced or repaired by a PO that used regular steel pop-rivets. So I need to take this wing out, reseal it, and put it back in with olympic rivets. While I have it out, should I remove the inside piece of glass so I don't have issues down the road with moisture buildup in between them? Thoughts?

3. The center opening window also still has both pieces of glass, although it feels like the inside pane might be plastic (maybe lexan). I haven't tried to scratch it yet to find out for sure though. There is a film in between the glass panes that is coming loose and is discolored in spots.

Can I take the inside piece of glass out and leave the outside piece intact? Does the sash frame come apart?

A general question is why are some windows double panes and some single? It looks like the vista windows all used to be double panes, but someone took the inside panes off long ago (which saves me the trouble of doing that I guess ).

Down the road in our refurb, we'll put on a stone guard to protect the front windows while towing, so I'm not that concerend about keeping them double paned for towing and flying rock issues. Is that why the front windows were double paned to begin with?Chris
Chris.

Airstream found that the double pane windows were far more trouble than they were worth. So they stopped using them.

Replacements for the double paned windows are only available in single pane.

Andy