Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Liberty Township , Ohio
Flat glass dimensions for 1969 Ambassador

Anyone have the dimensions for the piece of glass for the front and rear flat windows for a 1969 Ambassador? Currently I have plexiglass in there and it doesn't quit fit right. I was hoping someone had the correct dimensions so I wouldn't have to guess when I order the new glass.

Anyone ever put frosted glass in the rear window? I want to get rid of the crappy blind I have back there. If I leave the clear glass back there then I'll have to collect money from all the people who see me naked and that gets to be a real hassle.

-Jason
jmpratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpratt View Post
Anyone have the dimensions for the piece of glass for the front and rear flat windows for a 1969 Ambassador? Currently I have plexiglass in there and it doesn't quit fit right. I was hoping someone had the correct dimensions so I wouldn't have to guess when I order the new glass.

Anyone ever put frosted glass in the rear window? I want to get rid of the crappy blind I have back there. If I leave the clear glass back there then I'll have to collect money from all the people who see me naked and that gets to be a real hassle.

-Jason
Jason.

If you order that window from a parts stocking dealer, they will know what you need.

Dimensions are not needed.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Liberty Township , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Jason.

If you order that window from a parts stocking dealer, they will know what you need.

Dimensions are not needed.

Andy
Andy,
I assume the frameless windows will fit even though it originally had aluminum extrusions framing the glass?
jmpratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpratt View Post
Andy,
I assume the frameless windows will fit even though it originally had aluminum extrusions framing the glass?
Nope.

You would receive a glass and sash. The sash is the metal part that surrounds the glass.

BUT..................what you will have to do, is remove the hinge from the old sash and glass and install it on the new window.

WHY??????

Because Airstream picked a goofy hinge for the 69 production year and the 70 windows, while being the same size, use a different hinge.

If you attempt to use the replacment window hinge, you will snap off every rivet that holds the hinge to the sash.

I have gripped about that to Airstream for only 4 decades, and the answer is always the same. CHANGE THE HINGE.

Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote