Old 03-23-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
'Fixing' front window

I know I'm the second to the last guy to understand this, but since I haven't seen any threads on it, I thought I'd let the last person know.

Does you window have "mold," or what looks like mold, in it? I've been wanting to take this sucker apart for a year, but thought it was a sealed unit and just couldn't face it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0512 mold-s.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	98694

It turns out the "mold" is decomposed closed cell foam that was attached to the inside pane with double sided tape, similar to the thin window and door gaskets you can buy at HD these days. I suppose this provided some level of seal, but once it's gone the window collects condensation and won't let it out.

The surpise is that the dual pane front window is not sealed and comes apart easily. Take out 14 screws and the inner pane and its aluminum frame slip out of the main frame. It's really two single panes in single glass gaskets and frames that are merely screwed together and marginally sealed with that foam strip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0513 disassembled-s.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	98695

You have to remove the whole window from the shell in order to get at all the screws. Removal is a one person job, but putting it back in is definitely a two person task.

The second surprise I got today is that the inner "pane" is not glass, it's plexiglas. It's very light and you wouldn't save much weight by removing it. The assembled window had a large oval "bubble" near the center that didn't look like bubbled solar film, but it was an eyesore. Turns out the "bubble" was moisture where the plexiglass had bowed and touched the outer pane. I'm not sure how I'm going to addres this, but I'm thinking I may use one of those white window separators from the dual pane curved windows--drill a small hole in the middle of the plexiglass and use the small peg on the back of the separator to hold it in place.

The window is clean and reinstalled, all in about 45 minutes. I'll take it out and put some foam and the separator in it when the weather is better...

Zep

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Well, I'll be danged. I figured out a while back the inner pane was plexy, but my assumption was that the "mold" was from a really poor repair job by a P.O.(replacing the broken inner glass with plexy, in other words) I have the same cruddy looking "mold" that yours has, almost a twin in fact.

Thanks for the tips, Zep. I was planning on taking this to a pro to have it all replaced. Looks like much less a daunting task now.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
So I just found another difference between the Argosy line and the AS... no inner pane found in mine! What are you using for weatherstrip? The HD stuff you mentioned?
Marc
Old 03-23-2010, 10:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
The Overlander is a '72. It had the dual pane wing windows, but all the others were single pane. The '70 Caravel has single pane front and wing windows. So the step up to dual pane windows in the front was right in the middle there.

I did not have time to figure out the weatherstrip (big storm was bearing down from the north), so I'll have to take it apart again. I intend to use the HD stuff, probably 1/8" or 3/16".

Zep
Old 03-23-2010, 11:14 PM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
So I just found another difference between the Argosy line and the AS... no inner pane found in mine!
Those big panorama windows never had double panes, they were designed from the get-go as single-pane windows.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:03 AM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Jeepers, Zep, thanks for that info. Our front window looks like an abandoned aquarium around the edges, and I had put off doing anything about it after reading some of the long and involved window repair threads on here (including yours, IIRC) and being scared off.

This one sounds like something I can handle.

Will you please let us know when you replace the sealant tape? I'd love to know what will work there...
Old 03-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
it might be the end of April before I can get back to it. I'm on the road starting next week.

Zep
Old 03-24-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
No rush, I won't be spending time with Henri till mid-May.

And then, actually, I may be full-timing with him for a while. We sold our house, and nothing on the horizon yet... :/
Old 03-24-2010, 10:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Wow, what a coincidence. I was doing window and screen maintenance today and I also discovered that the inner pane of the front window was plexiglass! I need to remove the front window, anyway, to glue on new window gaskets. Might was well clean up the window, too. Mine also has the large milky bubbles.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:59 PM   #10
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
My 1975 Tradewind front window has dual panes and both are glass.

Why is the front window, wing windows and upper Vista View the only double pane windows in the whole trailer?

My Vista View window have Plexiglas inside
bmklawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #11
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Question Question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
The Overlander is a '72. It had the dual pane wing windows, but all the others were single pane. The '70 Caravel has single pane front and wing windows. So the step up to dual pane windows in the front was right in the middle there.

I did not have time to figure out the weatherstrip (big storm was bearing down from the north), so I'll have to take it apart again. I intend to use the HD stuff, probably 1/8" or 3/16".

Zep
So, please correct me if I'm wrong, but can I assume then that the TT you are talking about in this thread is your Sov? That's what I'm hoping, since mine is close in age to yours...
Old 03-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
So, please correct me if I'm wrong, but can I assume then that the TT you are talking about in this thread is your Sov? That's what I'm hoping, since mine is close in age to yours...
No, it's the '72 Overlander. I haven't looked at the Sovereign front window. All the '75 Sovereign windows are dual pane, so that may mean something different for the way the front window is assembled. I may get a chance to look at the Sovereign later today...

Zep
Old 03-25-2010, 10:48 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Zep,
Is it possible to reassemble the front center window without the plexiglass? Just curious. I'm going to work on it this weekend.

Also, do you have the rock guard covering the front of your windows? Is it possible to remove the center window without having to remove the rock guard?

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:24 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike View Post
...Is it possible to reassemble the front center window without the plexiglass? Just curious. I'm going to work on it this weekend....
Yes, just leave it out. Don't even put the frame for the plexiglass back in. The main frame around the glass has all the "active" parts--bottom locks, opening rods, top hinge, and the edge gasket to the shell-side frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike View Post
...Also, do you have the rock guard covering the front of your windows? Is it possible to remove the center window without having to remove the rock guard?
I doubt it. I don't have the rock guard, but you have to swing the window up very high to get the hinge to release. Think the rock guard will definitely prevent that. But you should be able to remove the rock guard pretty easily, just undo the support arms and swing it up. Its hinge releases in the same way.

Zep