Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
raynham , Massachusetts
Fit my window today- spacer bar issue

Th window didn't <magiclly fit> like I hoped it would. Like not at all, even questioned if they sent me the right one. I made a template of the new window with plastic and a sharpy and matched it up. I was able to cut away some of the aluminium and got it to fit pretty well. One bugger though, the spacer bar is of by 1/6 of an inch, so I need to get something wider, do other models have something a bit wider or do I need to have a machine shop make it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aswindow.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	112816  
deelind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by deelind View Post
Th window didn't <magiclly fit> like I hoped it would. Like not at all, even questioned if they sent me the right one. I made a template of the new window with plastic and a sharpy and matched it up. I was able to cut away some of the aluminium and got it to fit pretty well. One bugger though, the spacer bar is of by 1/6 of an inch, so I need to get something wider, do other models have something a bit wider or do I need to have a machine shop make it?
If it was the correct window for the year, it would have fit like a glove.

Or did you replace the window frame as well.

If your referring to the bar that holds the front window frame to the wing windows,that bar is really not needed. The gap is filled with Vulkem sealer.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
raynham , Massachusetts
It was the frame as well. The gap is pretty big, I'd say 1/4" it'll need something in there.
Andy, you're always so helpful, much appreciated. Another question for you is that I had a couple of dents front driver side panel, not horrible, thinking they might come out. I'm also thinking of placing styrofoam between the inner and outer wall. just not up to springing the $, rock guards over the to front panels might be the thing, what do you think?
Old 10-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
It was the frame as well. The gap is pretty big, I'd say 1/4" it'll need something in there.
Andy, you're always so helpful, much appreciated. Another question for you is that I had a couple of dents front driver side panel, not horrible, thinking they might come out. I'm also thinking of placing styrofoam between the inner and outer wall. just not up to springing the $, rock guards over the to front panels might be the thing, what do you think?
If your careful, you still can fill the void with Vulkem. Put a little on each side, wait a couple of days, then finish the job.

Insurance companies pay for damages.

Rock guards are for the windows, and segment protectors are for the quarter panels.

Yes, the segment protectors can and do hide a lot of damages.

But, they are not cheap either, since they are made with stainless steel.

Andy
Old 10-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Unless the frame was damaged, you can always replace just the "sash and glass".

No rivets needed, no sealer needed, a lot cheaper, and takes 5 minutes, well maybe 10 minutes if it's your first window replacement.

Andy
Old 10-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
raynham , Massachusetts
segment protectors, <learning the lingo> I'll check them out. I'm also going to look into doing an artistic cut-out of some sort to camouflage the dent seeing as I'll be using this for a mobile art gallery so something well themed might do the trick. The window frame was pretty bashed up, I had ordered a new window. Total newbie with Airstreams, fixing anything automotive actually But I'm a crafty gal and learning a lot- so far so good.
Thanks agin for your help.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
raynham , Massachusetts
Andy, I'm replacing the back window, what size/type rivets do I use to attach to the hinge? many thx
Old 10-11-2010, 07:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy, I'm replacing the back window, what size/type rivets do I use to attach to the hinge? many thx
A hinge comes attach to a new window.

Or, are you doing something else with a window?

Andy
Old 10-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
raynham , Massachusetts
window is original....

had the glass replaced, the hinge was/is left on the unit (came that way)so I'm reattaching the window and frame to the unit.