Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Finally got around to breaking my stack windows

I just wanted to share a pictorial of the process I used to remove the inner panes of my stack windows. I have a 78 Sovereign and the inner panes were safety glass. I took a handful of pictures throughout the process, so the pics you see below are of at least two of the windows, that's why the break is in different places, ha.

Here's the before. You can clearly see the failed film in between.

I applied clear packing tape inside over the entire window.

Next I took a flat edge screwdriver and started tapping it in the lower corner trying to break the inner pane. I was hitting it with a rubber mallet and nothing was doing. I had to hit it extremely hard in order for it to finally give way and crack. Your mileage may vary, but I'd start small and then gradually progress into a swing that would leave one heckuva mark if you missed and hit your thumb. Once it was done, I ran outside as fast as I could to ensure I didn't go all the way through and break both panes.

After I wiped my brow in relief, I went back in the trailer and pressed the taped glass inwards towards the outer pane and took the screwdriver and pressed the tip around the edge of the glass trying to break it out.

I was able to put the screwdriver inside the hole and pry back towards me and took a chunk of window out.

After pulling out the major pieces (still taped together) I was left with a lot of shards and pieces all over the place (this is a messy project).

ONce the majority of the free glass was removed from the butyl and floor, I broke out the razor blade scraper and got to work getting rid of that nasty old film.

So, before break

During the break

After a mild cleaning

I'll be replacing the butyl putty that has all the broken glass in it with a new one next week.
Taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
FWIW the perfect tool for breaking safety glass like this is an automatic center punch, can be found ar any hardware or auto parts store for about 10 bucks and has a myriad of other used too. simply press with your palm till you hear the click and watch the glass explode.
This is actually what the local PD uses if you leave your dogs or kids in the car- sometimes they dont even bother to check for unlocked doors
tim
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
CR Laurence sells a grey vinyl gasket that will cover the old gasket material.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrunner View Post
FWIW the perfect tool for breaking safety glass like this is an automatic center punch, can be found ar any hardware or auto parts store for about 10 bucks and has a myriad of other used too. simply press with your palm till you hear the click and watch the glass explode.
This is actually what the local PD uses if you leave your dogs or kids in the car- sometimes they dont even bother to check for unlocked doors
tim
I have a center punch and use it all the time, but I'd read way too many horror stories about the center punch going all the way through both windows.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
CR Laurence sells a grey vinyl gasket that will cover the old gasket material.
Thanks Terry, I'll look 'em up!