Old 04-30-2008, 12:04 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

I have a '71 Overlander with a shattered wing window that needs to be replaced. It shattered when we had taken off the rock guard and went away for the weekend. It doesn't look like anything hit it, but it is in smithereens.
Luckily we had some clear tape in the car and carefully taped it so it wouldn't fall apart. Now we would like to replace it. Can we replace only glass, or do we need to buy the whole pricey part?

maryszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryszka
I have a '71 Overlander with a shattered wing window that needs to be replaced. It shattered when we had taken off the rock guard and went away for the weekend. It doesn't look like anything hit it, but it is in smithereens.
Luckily we had some clear tape in the car and carefully taped it so it wouldn't fall apart. Now we would like to replace it. Can we replace only glass, or do we need to buy the whole pricey part?
Wing window glass only, has never been available, nor has the gray gasket.

You must drill out the old wing window and install a new one.

You will need 1 wing window, a package of Olympic rivets and a tube of Vulkem sealer.

When reinstalling a wing window, you no longer the the metal strap that held the wing window to the front window.

You should also replace the "rock guard" as the original clear rockguard was trash some 30 years ago.

Andy

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:27 PM   #17

1997 21' Excella
Austin , Texas
I have a 1997 21 ft Excella. We have just had our second window "blow". The first one was a side window across from the front door and today the back "emergency" window blew. No extreme temp. no hail, no wind. No movement. What's going on? Jan in Austin
JanSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:14 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Wing window

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryszka
I have a '71 Overlander with a shattered wing window that needs to be replaced.
I saw a used one today on ebay. A wing window from 69 to at least 75 will fit. I replaced the wings in my 71 with 75s. They went to double pane in 72, I thiink. Thicker glass too. While different year windows will fit into the hole, there were different designs of frames. This means if you get a different year window you will need the inside plastic window trim too. Not absolutely necessary but will look better and you will not need to modify the old trim. I did this job last year and posted some pics you should be able to find if you do the search. Let me know if I can help with any more info.

Others have replaced with Lexan. I don't know if the Lexan will last but don't use plexiglass it won't.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanSchneider
I have a 1997 21 ft Excella. We have just had our second window "blow". The first one was a side window across from the front door and today the back "emergency" window blew. No extreme temp. no hail, no wind. No movement. What's going on? Jan in Austin
It's like Deja Vu all over again. Last summer I had 2 windows mysteriously blow in 24 hours. But it was a 71. The same think with a 97 is a little surprising.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:25 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Arroyo Seco , New Mexico
CCD front Curved glass

This morning i was cleaning the Bambi for a long awaited trip, (leaving tuesday), well, (was)...
When i opened the front curtain, i saw that the left side front curved window was completely spiderwebbed. It had been sitting for 4 months?
i don't know what had caused this, there is no damage to the outer lexan guards.
Not Happy.
Is this something that regularly happens?
i have a feeling this is going to be very expensive, and obviously, my trip is now gone, quite disappointed.
ideas?

theSubdude is offline   Reply With Quote