Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2007, 04:46 AM   #1
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Escape window function

Has anyone made their escape window functional? I have opened mine on my Bambi and propped it open with a stick, but when the rains come in the middle of the night, it means running outside to close it.

I see that the window has the brackets mounted on the glass. So I suppose if you got the opening arm and the slotted track, you could mount them so the window could function from the inside. However, on my trailer, the bath wall actually covers one side of the screen frame and you would have to cut a slot into the left side of the screen frame to install one arm. Has anyone done this and can you open the window with the arm on just one side?
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
Lost in America

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Surely someone has made their egress window useable. Anybody?
Old 06-11-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Sorry, can't help. Our emergency window is at the head of the bed. It does open (check it once a month), but don't use it for ventilation. Sorry.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, we only open our emergency window for tests also; We won't leave it open because it is the only opening window on our trailer with out a bug screen.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:12 AM   #5
JDL
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
T , Oregon
I have propped mine open with Clothes pins. However, I have never had it open in the rain.

I would be interested if you ever do the mod. Please post picts. I am sure it could be done and neat to see.

jd
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
The 23 has the same back end as the 19, so we too have been looking for this mod. After trying the stick approach, and having to go outside to close it, we decided to prop it open with the latches. We unlatch it from the inside, then go outside, lift the window, and turn the latches so they hold the window open a crack. That seems to be enough to provide night-time ventilation. If it starts to rain or you need to close the window, you just turn the latches from the inside, the window falls in place, the latches grab the slots and you're locked down.

Not very elegant but it seems to work for us.
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:20 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

clio , Michigan
we test ours every so often but can't say I even thought to make it functional. Let us know what you come up with
dantheman972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:50 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Mojo..... you ever come up with something for this ?

I've looked at this more than once. We would love to have that window operable. With the little Zip Dee awning, it would be a winning combination ! I did see one on a lot in Ohio once........

It really doesn't look that hard if you had the interior trim and hardware from another window that does open.... I'm sure it's all available. Our window does have a screen.

I have the same problem in that the bathroom wall comes out to the edge of the window on the right.

I never thought of slotting the left side, I'll bet one arm would work in most weather !

I'll look at this again. Let me know if you come up with something... I'll do the same

PS.. I like the SilverCabin approach too !

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:07 AM   #9
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Mojo,

This has been something that has puzzled me two. Because the bath-side of the window is partially covered by the bath wall, you can't put an arm in there.

We do it like you: if needed, we prop the window open with a stick. Seems dumb, but works, unless it starts to rain in the middle of the night....

Jonathan
Old 10-23-2008, 11:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
The emergency window issue is why I purchased a 2 door model.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Mine is kind of puzzleing.... I have the rear split glass for the lav and screened other half. The only problem is the only way you can access the window is to unscrew the screen to get at the release arm. It has the emergency cord to rip if need be. Can't understand why they would put a screen in there if you can't use it. I've only gotten in there to silicone the window gasket.
NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:32 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Why not use an interior window screen assembly and window off a non-emergency window? It would then have the lift arms and brackets to open it, and the slots for them. You would then just have to install the black window position guides and latches. That is how our trailer is outfitted. The bathroom window doubles as the emergency exit.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:32 PM   #13
Lost in America

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Sorry I have been out of touch, but since I retired and moved full-time to Colorado, I have spent more time using my Airstream than keeping up with reading about them on the forum.

But yes I did modify the escape window on my Bambi. I simply removed the screen frame and cut a slot in the aluminum frame with a metal cutting blade on my table saw. It was not the cleanest cut, but got the job done. There was a little heat discoloration and rough edges, but cleaned them up with a file and some steel wool.

I ordered a left hand window arm and track and installed just like on the other windows. There is some fuzzy cord to adhere around the screen slot to keep out the bugs.

I reinstalled new screen and the tear out spline so the window is still usable as an emergency escape, however I have not tried doing a head dive out the window to test it. The window still pushes open just like the others and one support arm is enough to hold it open. It closes easily from bed in the middle of the night.
[IMG]file:///Users/billniblick/Desktop/AS-window-1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]file:///Users/billniblick/Desktop/AS-window-1.jpg[/IMG]AS-window-1.jpgAS-window-2.jpgAS-window-3.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS-window-1.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	70849   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS-window-2.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	70850  

Click image for larger version

Name:	AS-window-3.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	70851  
Old 11-03-2008, 09:43 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, mojo. Great job on the now, dual purpose window.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Our vintage coach did not come with an escape window. But an earlier thread gave me the incentive to find an alterative. We have a fire extinguisher near the front door but should an emergency happen, most likely a fire between us and the door, the rear bathroom window is the only logical exit. It is just large enough to crawl through although nearly impossible for us to pre test but I am sure in an emergency we would 'fly through it. I installed a 2nd extinguisher in the bathroom wardrobe that will serve to either to put out a fire or as a hammer to break the window.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:18 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
But yes I did modify the escape window on my Bambi. .....
I ordered a left hand window arm and track and installed just like on the other windows. ]
Although I question the viability of these emergency window (particularly in my 20') I'd be concerned that the mechanism you installed would prevent the window from opening wide enough in the event you actually tried to get out of it. I suppose if you attached the push rod bracket to the window using velcro or double sided tape, you could force it easily enough.

Nice job, nonetheless.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:58 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Hi

My newer model came with hardware to open the window. In the 25 FB it's at the FOOT of the bed, and I don't think it's location is terribly practical. If I ever DID try to use the escape hatch I'd use my extinguisher to destroy the window after firing it off. Fumbling with the latches? NO.

The glass is pebble glass so it won't leave huge shards - and although the edges still will cut the crap out of you it won't make deep cuts. Heavy clothing or bedcloths draped over the frame would help.

The most critical thing about living through ANY fire is to plan your escape. Doubly so if you have children. Any fireman will tell you that their greatest tragedy is that they always find children's bodies under the bed or in the closet. There is an instinct to HIDE. A three year old can and should be taught how to get out. Get low, and crawl. If you must go out of a 2nd story window, get your body out, hang by your hands and drop, it's an 7 or 8 foot shorter drop that way. Broken legs? They heal.

Paula
Old 11-04-2008, 09:28 AM   #18
Lost in America

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I'd be concerned that the mechanism you installed would prevent the window from opening wide enough in the event you actually tried to get out of it.
The window arm slides up and down the track without stopping in the groves unless you set it there. I can push the window to full extension without using the arm.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:36 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Question First Year for Escape Window was 19????

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Why not use an interior window screen assembly and window off a non-emergency window? It would then have the lift arms and brackets to open it, and the slots for them. You would then just have to install the black window position guides and latches. That is how our trailer is outfitted. The bathroom window doubles as the emergency exit.
You have a '74 ...right? And you say it has a factory Escape Window?

I have owned a '74 and a '75 and a '73 and do not recall any such window.

When did Airsteam first put Escape Windows in the trailers?
I think it was mandated by the Feds wasn't it?

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:52 PM   #20
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Mojo,

Great job! Do you have the part numbers? And what did the arm/bracket thingie cost? Much classier than the stick method.

Jonathan