Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2015, 11:26 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
Iowa City , Iowa
Emergency exit window

Hello Everyone,

We just bought our first Airstream! I noticed the rear window, which is also the emergency exit, does not have supports to hold the glass open. All of the other operable windows have supports. Is this normal for a 2009 19' Flying Cloud?

Many thanks,
ericdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdean View Post
Hello Everyone,

We just bought our first Airstream! I noticed the rear window, which is also the emergency exit, does not have supports to hold the glass open. All of the other operable windows have supports. Is this normal for a 2009 19' Flying Cloud?

Many thanks,
No.

Supports can easily be added.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Yes,

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I wonder why in some models and not others? Mine has support rods.....

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Beer can work very well as a hold open or the most handy stick.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 08-15-2015, 02:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Its a Joke in our 20 . You would have to crawl over the sink and faucet ! NO way am i going to make it. I figure in anything less than 25 Ft. Your going out the main door !! Would be better busting out the dinette window with the Fire extinguisher .
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
If it is like my 19', it does not have a screen, so it's limited in use as a opening window. I tried that, and even fabricated a screen system, but gave up on it as it could not be made insect proof while providing access to the closing clamps. You don't want to risk deforming or damaging the gasket, either, or you'll have a leak to contend with.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Mine is equipped with a screen with a rip cord for quick exit.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:41 PM   #9
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Mine is equipped with a screen with a rip cord for quick exit.

I believe they started doing the 19s with the rip cord in 2005 which is my model. It must be some kind of law or why would AS put an emergency exit in at all, let alone in such lame places. And really, if it was to escape anything faster than a turtle spider (made up) you'd be doomed anyway! Especially in a 19' or 20'..... I'd love a regular window!

Speaking of windows, the kitchens areas should all have opening windows. Maybe then you wouldn't have to disconnect the almost worthless smoke detector. Just sayin.

Mark,
The path not taken is the one I'm on...
Old 08-15-2015, 05:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
No rip cord or screen in my 2006 Safari 23. I might be able to make it thru the opening if death was the only option but not holding my breath. Not sure if it is actual law but it is required for RVIA code certification that there must be a rear exit.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
No.

Supports can easily be added.

Andy
Can you tell us what parts would be needed, for supports and a screen. My 2000 Safari six sleeper has an emergency exit in the rear. I would really like to make it operable with a screen.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:31 PM   #12
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
No rip cord or screen in my 2006 Safari 23. I might be able to make it thru the opening if death was the only option but not holding my breath. Not sure if it is actual law but it is required for RVIA code certification that there must be a rear exit.

Doesn't the entire window come out of the frame? A question of window width? Bigger than I thought it would be on my vintage kin once removed.

I've had to climb in and out of mine a couple of times on a past trailer. I found it handy to know whether feet or head first on the way out. I do know I don't want to land on the glass.

On each of three same brand trailers there has been quite a bit of dust turned to crud accumulation between window and frame. Pretty sure no PO had ever removed and cleaned. Operation was easier as a result on each trailer.

I like to think we'd get out of our TT type faster than with SOB. Twice I have timed fires in fiberglass bodied semi-tractors and it was five minutes to consumption in wind. Once the fire reaches the shell it's pretty much over.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My rear window hinges at the top. Two latches at the bottom. I can fit thru it but the landing will not be pretty. Thankfully no Olympic scoring in survival.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:42 PM   #14
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The detail differences of AS trailers often aren't known to me. For others as well, is this common that the escape window swings versus falls free? A change from years past?

As to dignity, the first time I had to use it was in cinched bathrobe with all else hanging free. Jalousie window open and my cutting screen to access levers.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:57 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
Iowa City , Iowa
There is a screen and the glass has the attachments for the hold-opens, but there are not slots through the frame to accommodate the hold-opens. It looks like the wall trim goes over the right side of the window frame, so maybe it is not possible to have the hold-open brackets on that window.
ericdean is offline   Reply With Quote