Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2007, 08:00 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Muscle Shoals , Alabama
EEEEK!!!! What the heck happened here??

Imagine my surprise when I lifted the rock guard on my 74 Tradewind and found this??

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4405.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	39204

Is this repairable and how do you get the gunk (toward the bottom of the window floating in the water) out?
chuman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:11 AM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuman70
Imagine my surprise when I lifted the rock guard on my 74 Tradewind and found this??

Attachment 39204

Is this repairable and how do you get the gunk (toward the bottom of the window floating in the water) out?
Looks like your double pane corner window wants to be an aquarium. Get an air pump and some goldfish.

You will have to break the inner pane, most likely. You might be able to drill al hole first to drain it.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
You have a pretty bad exterior leak in your window, which is double-pane. The good news is that the interior pane seems to be keeping it contained! If you use search function, you'll find rather detailed info on drilling small drain holes, at an angle, to let the water out. Another option is to break out the interior pane, which would allow you to also clean up the "gook" inside. Another option is a whole new window. Whichever way you handle it, you then need to re-seal the exterior perimeter of that window, and all others, with a good sealant, like parbond or vulkem. Or, on a completely different tack, just figure out a way to get some very skinny tropical fish into the thing!! Good luck.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:20 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Muscle Shoals , Alabama
Is that gunk in the bottom of the window part of the sealant? if so, why hasn't the water drained out?
Old 06-14-2007, 08:22 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Muscle Shoals , Alabama
The good new is: there do not appear to be any interior leaks because of this. The floor under the window is fine.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Links to uwe's post: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...tml#post391537 and http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...elp-25718.html

The idea is to drill a hole through the spacer between the panes and not touch the glass at all -- probably have to take off interior skin under window to get access. Yup -- get the gaucho out to do that too! One mistake and you'll be buying a new window. Ain't DIY fun?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:32 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Muscle Shoals , Alabama
I've seen posts on drilling from the outside. Wouldn't that make less of a mess?
Old 06-14-2007, 06:56 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuman70
I've seen posts on drilling from the outside. Wouldn't that make less of a mess?
We have a wing window/ aquarium also. I have drilled a 1/8" hole at the base of the window, and am going to drill a hole in the glass with a diamond tipped bit. It will allow the water to eventually drain out, then I can reseal the window.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:27 PM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan
You have a pretty bad exterior leak in your window, which is double-pane. The good news is that the interior pane seems to be keeping it contained! If you use search function, you'll find rather detailed info on drilling small drain holes, at an angle, to let the water out. Another option is to break out the interior pane, which would allow you to also clean up the "gook" inside. Another option is a whole new window. Whichever way you handle it, you then need to re-seal the exterior perimeter of that window, and all others, with a good sealant, like parbond or vulkem. Or, on a completely different tack, just figure out a way to get some very skinny tropical fish into the thing!! Good luck.
And a while back someone figured out you can dissassemble the wing windows and even found a replacement gasket! I don't recall seeing a part number or price on the gasket and from the description I don't think it is a process for the faint of heart. I have seen many units with holes drilled in the outer frame. You have to be very careful not to nick the edge of the glass or it will be all over.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:35 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Muscle Shoals , Alabama
Overlander63,

Did you drill on the inside or outside? How does the water get in there? Was it a leak from the window frame? I guess sealing that area with vulkem would prevent further leaks. What do you think?
Old 08-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #11

1972 31' Sovereign
Wilson , New York
I had a 72 31' same problem; removed curtains & rod then drilled out rivets on inside trim and removed it this exposes the inside, of the inside window, use a tool to break lose the screws holding the outside window then go outside and carefully pry out the outside wing window. If you break off any screws be sure to use an extractor to get them out or a Small grinder to cut them off and drill a new hole if necessary. I cleaned up the window & replaced the Dum-Dum (White stuff) between the windows and put it back together, about two hrs.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
" & replaced the Dum-Dum (White stuff) between the windows"
Isn't there something else we can use besides this stuff - when in the sun, I have large chunks slowly coming down between the windows.
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Seal it up with black urethane, it's the stuff that they glue the windshield into your car with. After being exposed to air, it hardens like black rubber. It will glue glass to glass or glass to metal like nothing else.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I rebuilt both of my wing windows as single pane. To do this, I had to remove the entire assembly (drill out all the bucked rivets) so that the frames could separate (not as described above). My interior skins are out so bucking them back in wasn't a problem. Maybe not as easy as drilling a drain hole, but beautiful results, plus I have the intact inner panes that can be used if my outer panes ever break. Search for "wing window rebuild" to see the thread.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #15

1972 31' Sovereign
Wilson , New York
If you go to a commercial glazing co. you can purchase a roll of what they use. the reason yours slid is due to the water entering the window I am sure if you discussed the problem with them and got it ready for repair then hauled it over to them they would be happy to have one of their tecs. do the repair as it is relatively simple at that point. Do Not remove the exterior rivets.
You do know that there are reproductions of the original Tech manuals available from online sources.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Have a good hard look at your wing window and make sure it is the original (one tip-off is Olympic rivets instead of bucked rivets in the frame). Both of the windows in my '73 had been replaced at some point, and were of a completely different design (in terms of how they came apart), than is described in the maintenance manual (or above). One of them had black tar-like stuff separating the panes, and one had the grey goo you have. Both needed a rebuild.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:15 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Cornville , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
I had a 72 31' same problem; removed curtains & rod then drilled out rivets on inside trim and removed it this exposes the inside, of the inside window, use a tool to break lose the screws holding the outside window then go outside and carefully pry out the outside wing window. If you break off any screws be sure to use an extractor to get them out or a Small grinder to cut them off and drill a new hole if necessary. I cleaned up the window & replaced the Dum-Dum (White stuff) between the windows and put it back together, about two hrs.

I have a '73 and several of the screw head twisted off. What is the screw extracted you refer to?
Mossiyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossiyjack View Post
I have a '73 and several of the screw head twisted off. What is the screw extracted you refer to?
Screw extractor. Any good hardware store should have one.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:09 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
We have a wing window/ aquarium also. I have drilled a 1/8" hole at the base of the window, and am going to drill a hole in the glass with a diamond tipped bit. It will allow the water to eventually drain out, then I can reseal the window.
That glass could be very strained and just waiting for an excuse to crack, be careful with drilling any holes in the glass.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:08 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The black stuff or grey stuff is called butyl and is available for rebuilds.