Old 04-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1976 31' Sovereign
Coolidge , Arizona
Dual Pane Windows All Clean, Now What?

We have went through all the steps to remove side windows, remove rivets, pry apart, clean off old glazing, and remove old bubbled tint.

We are ready to put back together but glazing tape is on back order at airstream dreams. Any suggestion on what we can use to sandwich between layers of dual pane windows to get this project completed?

Big Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #2
1976 31' Sovereign
Hickory , Kentucky

check out www. Welcome to Airstream I just ordered some stuff from D.K. Hardware which should arrive soon.some 3/16 x 3/8 norton V2100 thermailbond structural glazing spacer tape @ 38.37 a roll, their part # is V210638. this is the only thing I can locate at this time that may work and that can be had in less than a case of 24 rolls. I plan to replace the film with dark solar auto type film on the inside of the outer glass and use some dry pellets from the flower shop the help with moisture as well as a shot of argon gas (used in welding) on the final assembly. lots of luck to you

redlemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
1976 29' Ambassador
Wichita , Kansas
Rebuild them as single pane....I'll tell you how.
Joebanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
Airstream Fanatic
1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Tell me too and I won't tell anyone else....unless they ask

Originally Posted by Joebanjo View Post
Rebuild them as single pane....I'll tell you how.
I don't know if you are willing to share it with everyone but I'd like to know. I am collecting information on this topic so next spring I can try to tackle our windows. I so appreciate all the wisdom I have gathered from the AS Forums. Amazing amounts of wisdom and kindness out there. Where else to you find total strangers willing to help other people like the AS people?
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1972 31' Sovereign
Shasta Lake City , California
Can a person break out the interior wing window without removing the whole thing? trex
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:17 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member
1976 29' Ambassador
Wichita , Kansas

At $450.00 each from Airstream ( found out the hard way and ordered three), the cost for a replacement sash is simply robbery !! After installing my new factory sashes, I examined the construction and realized that I could rebuild my take offs and keep them for extras. Not only was the idea a great one ( rebuilt all my take offs) but now I feel like a complete fool for spending over $1200.00 for the three I bought...NEVER AGAIN!
Airstream, gave up on the idea of double pane glass years ago. You can't buy a replacement sash from Airstream in that configuration, they were troublesome!!
My solution involves converting the old double pane sash to a single pane. I save the outer pane and stockpile the old inner pane. I carefully drill out all the hinge rivets, remove the hinge extrusion from the sash and place it in a safe place to be used later.
Drill out 4 rivets (2 at the top of the sash and 2 at the bottom) that hold the two sash halves together. Note ( only drill and remove the rivets from one sash half and leave the other side alone) Take a small finish nail or small pin punch and drive the old decapitated rivets free from the sash.
The two halves of the sash can now be slid apart. There is a small seam between the two halves, and I simply use a small block of wood and tap the two sash halves apart.
Once the sash halves begin to slide apart ,I simply work the two halves until the glass assembly is free from the sash frame.
Once the glass is removed from the sash, I strip the old double pane "U" gasket and discard it. The two panes are mated together with a foil wrapping and a sticky gray putty. Remove the foil tape from the edge of the glass assembly, and take a pointed metal rod ( like an ice pick) and push it through the putty until you see the point come through to the inside. Then....spend the next 30 min's or so , carefully removing the putty between the two panes DO NOT PRY ON THE GLASS, only the putty!! Take some clothes pins apart and use the halves for shims as you go around the two panes. This will keep the glass from straining while removing the putty. Once the two panes are free from each other, place the inner pane (slightly smaller) aside and begin cleaning the old solar film off the outer pane . A razor scraper works pretty well.
Now....your glass is clean, your sash halves are clean and ready for reassembly.
If you are still with me.....I'll continue with pictures. From here on out you will need access to some tools you may not have. But if you are going to rebuild more than 2 or three windows, you will recover the expense very quickly..
E-mail me at and I will show you the rest of the way...w/ photo's

Joebanjo is offline   Reply With Quote